Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Project Showcase (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Live Edge Walnut and Cherry Side Table (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/live-edge-walnut-cherry-side-table-191978/)

mackman 01-26-2018 12:59 PM

Live Edge Walnut and Cherry Side Table
 
3 Attachment(s)
This piece is special to me, because I harvested the walnut myself: My dad and I were invited to a downed walnut orchard about a year ago, and as we gathered up some big chunks to take to a miller, I also threw a small stump into the back of my car to take home with me. I used a chainsaw to cut this slab out of it, my router sled to smooth it, and my planer to finish the job. (I also bought the cherry rough-cut and planed it myself, which was another first).

I'm REALLY happy with how it's turned out, especially the color of the cherry and how the curves of the legs go with the curves of the top. The walnut grain is "deep" in places too, with a beautiful iridescence. The only thing I would change is making the legs just a little wider: As it is, it's easy to tip over. I found that out too late, at which point any fix would have required a complete do-over. And given the location of the table, it's not going to be kicked or bumped very often, if at all. But we live and learn, right?

Catpower 01-26-2018 01:53 PM

Nice work

To stabilize it better you could add a couple stringers to the base of the legs as wide as the top, and it would look like you planned it that way

mackman 01-26-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpower (Post 1866914)
Nice work

To stabilize it better you could add a couple stringers to the base of the legs as wide as the top, and it would look like you planned it that way

Stringers? A quick google search doesn't make the meaning immediately obvious to me. What would that look like?

Catpower 01-26-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackman (Post 1866954)
Stringers? A quick google search doesn't make the meaning immediately obvious to me. What would that look like?


Stringers is a pretty vague description, join two pieces of wood about two inches wide and as long as the top is wide to the bottoms of the legs, it would make it less top heavy

difalkner 01-26-2018 08:19 PM

Very nice and I agree with the stringer suggestion. I've done that before as an afterthought and nobody noticed. Or at least they didn't let on if they did.

David

mackman 01-26-2018 08:36 PM

So it would be a piece running across the bottom of each leg width-wise? I might try that, but it might then make the table a bit too high for the spot it was made for.

WeebyWoodWorker 01-27-2018 12:44 AM

Fancy!

Sawdustmaker99 02-04-2018 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by difalkner (Post 1867274)
Very nice and I agree with the stringer suggestion. I've done that before as an afterthought and nobody noticed. Or at least they didn't let on if they did.

David

I make necessary to fix a screw up design changes all the time. Usually Im the only person that knows.

sanvito 02-26-2018 08:10 PM

Nice!
what Finish used? poly on top?

JamesTinKS 02-26-2018 11:51 PM

Mackman,

Put the stringer on the side of the leg, not the bottom. On the side, even with the bottom, length the same as the width of the top, thickness to match the thickness of the leg, width of the stringer (top to bottom after it is installed) 2" or so (I would do some fraction of the width of the legs).


JamesTinKS

mackman 02-27-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanvito (Post 1900945)
Nice!
what Finish used? poly on top?

Yeah, semi-gloss. I thinned it a bit so that I could wipe it on: It takes a lot longer, but I feel it offers me a lot more control over drips when finishing vertical surfaces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTinKS (Post 1901433)
Mackman,

Put the stringer on the side of the leg, not the bottom. On the side, even with the bottom, length the same as the width of the top, thickness to match the thickness of the leg, width of the stringer (top to bottom after it is installed) 2" or so (I would do some fraction of the width of the legs).


JamesTinKS

Thanks for the advice! I actually considered that, and I may still do it. It's only tipped a few times, each time as a result of my 2-year-old son trying to climb on it, so right now I think attaching stringers to the side would just result in broken stringers the next time he tries it! :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome