A Little Break... Little Back Breaking that is :) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

View JimRich's Photo Album My Photos
A Little Break... Little Back Breaking that is :)

Took a break from my cabinet project to handle a threat my wife made.

"The next time I clean that carpet upstairs, its going to be with a razor blade and a crowbar." ~ my loving wife

It is cheap flooring, we bought it at Southeastern Salvage for $0.69 a square foot. I have installed hardwoods before, down stairs, but I have never installed the snap floating kind. Needless to say I will not ever buy it again.

The floor did turn out nice, I have a couple of spots I need to work on still. I need to figure out how to make up the space between the door casing and the floor, there is a 1/2 gap in some places. I figured there may be someone here to tell me if there are any secrets to it.

Flooring is always hard work, back and forth to the miter saw, tablesaw, and jig saw. Up and down off the floor. I engaged my two boys to work as tool monkeys, they were a real help. Since it was their rooms I figured they should help!

Anyway here are some pictures:

80 grit sand paper is the woodworkers white out

Last edited by JimRich; 07-05-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Looks real nice...wish I saw before pics, just to know what the wife was upset about.

She likes it? That's the important part.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Looks real nice...wish I saw before pics, just to know what the wife was upset about.

She likes it? That's the important part.
Yeah she likes it. She picked it out. As for a before pic... maybe a mental one... 2 kids + 4 dogs * 10 years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
I understand !!! 4 kids, 3 dogs, 3 cats. Went to hardwood flooring years ago.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
$69 a square foot!!!! You must be filthy stinking rich to afford that!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
$69 a square foot!!!! You must be filthy stinking rich to afford that!
bwahahaha... $0.69 sorry I fixed it

post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Turned out really nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Streamwinner For This Useful Post:
JimRich (07-14-2011)
post #8 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Seems nobody has answered your space question.

Is this the space left below the casing because the old flooring was thicker? I suppose quater round would not look good in that location?

George
post #9 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Perhaps for the door gaps just add a brush/rubber door edge to the bottom of the door? Without replacing the door there's no other way I know of to fill the gap when a "shorter" flooring is installed.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the old flooring was carpet. The gap is anywhere between 1/4" and 1/2". I was able to hide most of it with quarter round, however I have not found a solution that looks good for the casing of the doors.

I probably should have raised the floor, but I didn't think about it until I starting seeing how it came together. Raising the floor would have been expensive :(

post #11 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM

View SargeVN's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job.. would love to have hardwood floors...

Woodworker's Guild of Georgia...
The Following User Says Thank You to SargeVN For This Useful Post:
JimRich (07-14-2011)
post #12 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry I missed this thread Jim. That's some awesome work. looks real good and the fact that the Mrs is happy is a bonus.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
JimRich (07-14-2011)
post #13 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I will never install "snap" flooring either!

So, it's my birthday, and I have a semi-blind date with a blond, blue eyed flight attendant....pretty nice in the online dating photo...and she is a cook and wrote a cook book! So, we meet over by her place at a nice restaurant, she brings a present and buys the dinner! Then she talks about the flooring job that another guy has started in her kitchen and it's not going well and he's doing a terrible job and he hates the stuff and it's "cheap" . "Would you like to stop over and check it out?" "OK, sure". I follow her home about 10 minutes away. I see the floor started about 5 boards out into the room starting under the fridge. "Do you think you can do this?" "Well, you have to fire the other guy and be on good terms or he'll fine a "contractor's lien against you." "OK, I'll do that." WE talk, she came to terms with him.
I think he wanted out as bad as she wanted him out!
I come over the next day ..truck loaded with table saw, support tables, sliding miter saw, 18v port circ saw, hammers, impact and drill motor, no spare batteries. We get started and about 7 boards out there are gaps at the ends on the length between the boards. Hindsight... there's probably a very slight curve in the length, but not all board have the gaps. So she starts kicking the boards together to close the gaps, which "unsnaps" the boards.....after 3 times of me telling her don't do that again or I'm off the job... "We are going to have to glue the boards together and then screw them down into the sub floor in a few select places." She says "The screw holes will show" "Yah, but what would you rather do, have these 1/16" gaps or a hole the size of a finish nail?" It's rainin' outside and I'm runnin' to the garage back and forth and sweatin' and gettin' pissed and gettin' frustrated with the WHOLE project and the homeowner/date. I can't wait to finish...2 door sills to set ....
BTW I had to set up the TS to create an end slot for the male tongue to fit on the ends. Zero clearance sacrificial piece and hold the board vertical....clever.
Finally, I'm finished pack up the truck and give her a hug, she says "Call me" ?! and leave the place relieved. She was happy with the job and offered me $100.00 for gas and time "served". She called the next day and thanked me profusely.

The name of the product is Dream Home Utopia, 6 mm Oak. at $.69 per sq ft. Lumber Liquidators
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...c_id=CSE_PG_07
I recommend not using this never, ever. The 6mm dimension leaves very little "purchase" for the boards to lock together and stay locked.

If your job was anything like mine I feel your pain bro.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-10-2011 at 06:20 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM

View moosey's Photo Album My Photos
For the door casing, you could cut off the bottom 4-6 inches of the casing and replace it with a plinth block. Or if you have any of the casing left you could cut a 1/2" piece and glue it in place and paint.

The floor looks good-
The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:
JimRich (07-14-2011)
post #15 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

woodnthings: it is the same... 6mm pain in the absolute a$$... as for the locking issue..... mallet + rabbited board hit while at a 30 degree angle, then have person stand on the board as you move down, cuss then do it again, brad nail with the depth set just right at an 45 degree angle....

Last edited by JimRich; 07-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimRich For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (07-14-2011)
post #16 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
not enough "persons"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRich View Post
woodnthings: it is the same... 6mm pain in the absolute a$$... as for the locking issue..... mallet + rabbited board hit while at a 30 degree angle, then have person stand on the board as you move down, brad nail with the depth set just right at an 45 degree angle....
Actually one was too many... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode