Library Ladder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

View JMendez035's Photo Album My Photos
Library Ladder

My recent project was a bent laminated library ladder. And with my ladder the legs, what i call the black parts, they are tapered laminations. the taller legs is a double taper going from thin to thick to thin. the smaller leg goes from thick to thin. this taper is achieved with a planer jig. each laminate is taper using a jig on the planer. pretty fun process. the whole thing is made form ash with the legs being ebonized.

~Jake Mendez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Jake,
Very nice piece, almost mesmerizing to look at. Great design, very elegant. Keep up the good work,
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
Kinda looks like you painted it in midair. Awesome.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM

View Mike Gager's Photo Album My Photos
very cool

would love to see some build pics if you have any
post #5 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Jake, great lines-attractive color...sorry bro' that is too nice not to flat swipe the design and make one for myself . I would make a couple mods for my own personal preference, but still draw inspiration for sure. I have steam bent plenty of ash when I used to make long bows and would do that for the legs (think it would hold up ? Not as good as lamination for sure). And make the steps thinner, not much but a little I think. They look good lapped into the legs since the colors are so opposing. Is the stretcher to back legs joint M & T ?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Nice Jake, great lines-attractive color...sorry bro' that is too nice not to flat swipe the design and make one for myself . I would make a couple mods for my own personal preference, but still draw inspiration for sure. I have steam bent plenty of ash when I used to make long bows and would do that for the legs (think it would hold up ? Not as good as lamination for sure). And make the steps thinner, not much but a little I think. They look good lapped into the legs since the colors are so opposing. Is the stretcher to back legs joint M & T ?
for steam bending i am not sure if it will hold up. what i do know is your bending form is going to have to be more steap then what you want the actual curve to be. steam bending as you prob know creates alot of springback. the back strechter is m&t, hand cut bc of the crazy angles. for makiing the steps thinner i would keep them the same for functionality as mine as prob a bit small for even a heavier guy. to compensate i would suggest shaping the steps to make them appear thinner while the joint is still nice and big for support

~Jake Mendez
post #7 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Novice

View mdeiley's Photo Album My Photos
very nice Jake..... Some day I will have ability like yours......
post #8 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM

View bradleywellsoff's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful. Looks like a Sam Maloof piece.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Every once in a while, I wonder where you are. I mean, you post some fantastic piece, and then disappear for a while. The next thing you know, you show up and dazzle us with another fantastic piece of work. Glad to see that you are still an active part of this forum and glad to see that you are still pumping out some fantastic work. Love the ladder. Creative shape, cool design and great contrast. Hope your studies are going well.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #10 of 16 Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Every once in a while, I wonder where you are. I mean, you post some fantastic piece, and then disappear for a while. The next thing you know, you show up and dazzle us with another fantastic piece of work. Glad to see that you are still an active part of this forum and glad to see that you are still pumping out some fantastic work. Love the ladder. Creative shape, cool design and great contrast. Hope your studies are going well.
Ken
i wish i could post more kenbo but during the school year i literally live in the studio in order to finish on time. now that its summer you will be seeing more of me.

~Jake Mendez
post #11 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMendez035 View Post
i wish i could post more kenbo but during the school year i literally live in the studio in order to finish on time. now that its summer you will be seeing more of me.
I look forward to your contributions.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #12 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 AM

View djnoble's Photo Album My Photos
gorgeous.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnoble View Post
gorgeous.
Absolutely ! I don't want anyone to misunderstand my last comment when I said I would make "changes" and asked Jakes thoughts, I know he gets it. It was in no way a slight. It goes without saying Jake puts a lot of thought and effort into the pieces he shows here...just look at them. We are 2 different kinds of woodworkers (in more ways than one, firstly he is good at it ) I am a grab a pile of wood and see if I can stick it together into a functional/decent looking project I pull out of thin air. Some times I do, others are near misses. Jake thinks things through more, that is why I like to pick his brain. Not critique it by asking "why?"...I really just want to know why, and he tells me.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Jake`s on the right track...I love his design work. Very graceful...I kept panning back and forth looking at both pictures. And yes...Sam did come into mind , and I`m sure Jake stepped onto the latter several times...I just wonder how much stress he applied to the back of the steps...I appreciate the hand M/T...and the finnish! The transition from leg to step was blended..right? Anyway, great work Jake!! Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #15 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Jake`s on the right track...I love his design work. Very graceful...I kept panning back and forth looking at both pictures. And yes...Sam did come into mind , and I`m sure Jake stepped onto the latter several times...I just wonder how much stress he applied to the back of the steps...I appreciate the hand M/T...and the finnish! The transition from leg to step was blended..right? Anyway, great work Jake!! Rick
i am not sure what you mean by how much stress i applied to the steps. the transition was blended. and for the record and not to brag sam maloof wasnt on my mind when i designed this piece. my original source inspiration was calligraphy.

~Jake Mendez
post #16 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Well I`m an eternal optomist...My tests might not be as vigerous as someone else. I did not mean to imply that Sam was a sorce of inspiration... I was only invisoning the way he blends, stack laminations. Jake, any kind of feed-back is better than no feed-back...I think you did a great piece!! Bound for glory. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode