kitchen cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes
  • 6 Post By mmwood_1
  • 2 Post By mmwood_1
  • 1 Post By DrRobert

post #1 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
kitchen cabinets

I just completed (mostly) a kitchen cabinet job which is a departure from my norm. I don't generally do paint. But there were some interesting details to this, particularly in making the curved moldings and such. After the wall with the door is taken out, and the new floor put in, I will complete the final molding details.
kitchen cabinets-001.jpg

kitchen cabinets-002.jpg

kitchen cabinets-005.jpg

kitchen cabinets-003.jpg

kitchen cabinets-007.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice. Couldn't have done better myself.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:16 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice work. The curves add a nice touch, along with the windows in the top half of the doors. How did you make the curved crown?
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
mmwood_1 (05-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

They are laminated strips of 1/16" pieces. It can't be made like today's standard cove molding, cut from a single piece of wood and installed at a 45 degree angle, they have to be stacked molding pieces. I use two form pieces, an inside radius and an outside radius, covered with wax paper. This is one set.

Each successive piece has a larger radius, of course, so the outside radius of the first piece is the inside radius of the second piece, etc. Lots of forms, lots of gluing up. I make the strips about 1/2" wider than the finished size, giving myself some wiggle room, because after they are glued up, I then joint one edge. I have to be careful to check it every couple of passes to keep the jointed edge at 90 degrees to the face, because it is easy to take off too much at the ends and not enough in the middle as I pass the curve over the jointer knives. That's why it is 1/2" wider than needed, so that I can adjust if I go out of 90 degrees.

Once I have a good edge, then I rip it on the table saw to exact width. Yes, it takes a great deal of focus and concentration to do this without damaging either it or myself. Then I cut the profiles on the router table using the bits in the photo.

Next, I will cut straight pieces to match the profiles, then I will join them to the curved pieces using mortise and tenon joints, so each profile will be a single piece that is straight for about 8', then curves around the face frame and dead ends into the wall. For the first two pieces, I will draw them tight to the curve of the face frame using several screws inserted from the back side of the FF into both profiles. The last profile, the smallest, should be able to be secured using brads.
woodnthings, TimPa, gmercer_48083 and 1 others like this.

mark

http://markmeyerwoodworking.com
Tony B and gj13us like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Apologies for the double post. The site has been uncooperative for me the past couple of days. No edit function appears for me on the first post so I cannot delete it.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Fantastic job, it looks great, I like that style of cabinets. May I offer a suggestion for the window valance?

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 01:45 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Thats alot of work for the curved crown molding but it was totally worth it! You taught me some thing with that build, thanks for sharing.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 AM

View fatmansat's Photo Album My Photos
Only WOOOW.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-03-2019, 10:03 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work!

I'd be interested in what paint you used and how applied.
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Nice work!
I'd be interested in what paint you used and how applied.

Thanks. I used Sherwin Williams latex primer, then top-coated with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Latex enamel, semi-gloss. I used a Graco TruCoat Pro II electric airless sprayer to apply it, sanding between the two primer coats, and lightly sanding between the primer and top coat. The sprayer worked well, up until the final pieces of trim, then it quit spraying. I ended up using an HVLP sprayer for the last trim and a couple of shelves.

My experience with the SW latex has been positive. Once it finally cures, it seems to be a fairly tough finish.
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Proclassic, too.

On the last 2 projects I used pigmented wb lacquer available thru Target Coatings. I like it even better. Very little to no thinning required. There is a crosslinker additive that will bring it up to KCMA standards.

I invested in a turbine sprayer and I like it much more than HVLP.
post #12 of 13 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
As one who used to do custom crown moulding, matching very old stuff in remodels, I salute you. The caliber of your work deserves recognition. Is there a Nobel Prize for woodworking?

Mother is the necessity of most invention.
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful. I cannot figure out how you cut that on a table saw or with any saw and running that curve on the router table takes more skill and guts then I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode