Kids Beds - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

View bmeacha1's Photo Album My Photos
Kids Beds

I am new to this site. Here are a couple projects that I made for my kids.

The first bed is a loft for my daughter.

The second is a bed I made for my son who has special needs. The bed is enclosed like it is so that he doesn't fall out of bed.

Name:  abby_bed1.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  71.3 KB

Kids Beds-jt_bed1.jpg

Kids Beds-jt_bed2.jpg

Kids Beds-jt_bed3.jpg

Kids Beds-jt_bed4.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM

View chancey1483's Photo Album My Photos
Both designs are really good. Theres alot of work put into your son's. My little guy happened to catch a glimpse of it when he passed by, he approves of the cars theme in the room.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 AM

View kallen's Photo Album My Photos
Nice!

The first thought when seeing your sons...can the cage be locked?!?!?! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 AM

View buggyman1's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice job. I really like your design on your son's. Well thought out.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the doors on my sons bed do lock, form the outside, to prevent him from being able to open them and fall on the floor.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM

View davidbard's Photo Album My Photos
nice job
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeacha1 View Post
Yes, the doors on my sons bed do lock,
Lol, I was actually kidding about that... but..

Quote:
form the outside, to prevent him from being able to open them and fall on the floor.
That's the same thing I'd tell the authorities too!!

kidding.. I'll admit there have been times when a little jail cell like that would have been nice...lol Nice work though. My son liked the Cars decals as well!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
First of all, Welcome to the forum! You are part of a great community.

VERY NICE JOB ON THE BEDS!!!!

You really did a nice job on both of them.... Do you mind if I ask what sort of special needs your son has? I have a son with a form of CP, and he has fallen out of bed quite a few times. Our solution was to just get him a bigger bed(he has a huge room). He has still fallen out of it, but not as much now that he is 7 years old.

Again, very nice job on the beds!

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

My son also has CP, he is going to be 6 in July. When he was getting too big for his crib we tried to purchase a specialized bed but the cost was $12,000, as you probably already know. My son doesn't always sleep that well, part of the side effects of the CP. He is not able to walk but he loves to bounce around on his knees. In the middle of the night sometimes he likes to bounce around, which is the reason for the design of the bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmeacha1 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (03-24-2013)
post #10 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
My son also has CP, he is going to be 6 in July. When he was getting too big for his crib we tried to purchase a specialized bed but the cost was $12,000, as you probably already know. My son doesn't always sleep that well, part of the side effects of the CP. He is not able to walk but he loves to bounce around on his knees. In the middle of the night sometimes he likes to bounce around, which is the reason for the design of the bed.
I am unfamiliar with specialty beds, so forgive my ignorance..why does the specialty bed cost $12,000?

My son exhibited similar behavior when he was an infant... in the middle of the night he'd get on his hands and knees, and rock back and forth to bang his head on the sides of the crib. Hard. After a few months of this, he just stopped, and has never exhibit the behavior again. Dr. couldn't give us an explanation for why he was doing it, or why he suddenly stopped. But during those months we thought the worst.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
It is unreal what things cost for people with special needs.

My sons CP affects his fine motor skills, so he has problems when it comes to doing anything that requires coordination. He didn't walk till was almost 5, and still doesn't talk.... only says a half dozen words. He now has a device with a touchscreen that he uses to communicate, and is still learning that. (Don't ask how much THAT DEVICE cost) It is so frustrating for him (and me) when he knows what he wants/needs to do/say, but he can't tell his body to do it.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, just to dump on, or whatever, let me know. Once you reach 25 posts, I will PM you my number if you want. Sometimes having a kid with special needs can get taxing, as you well know by now.

Fabian

post #12 of 16 Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallen View Post
I am unfamiliar with specialty beds, so forgive my ignorance..why does the specialty bed cost $12,000?
I'm sure that was a scary experience with your son. Glad to hear that he has turned out fine.

With anything that comes to special needs kids, There is always a much higher cost, because the stuff is basically "custom-made," and isn't mass produced like everything else. The designers have their time in the item, then the manufacture has their time in the item (and the cost is passed on to only a few items, not thousands). ON top of that, our society has become so litigioius, that everything is designed over the top as far as safety goes, it is unreal. No one wants to accept the liabilities, so costs skyrocket.

Fabian

post #13 of 16 Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM

View sezzami's Photo Album My Photos
I know this is an old thread, but I am in love with the cars bed. It's just what we are looking for when we upgrade to a twin bed for our daughter who suffers from a plethora of medical issues and is a fall and seizure risk. Would LOVE to get the scoop on this design.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I am not a professional,I built this off an idea in my head. My son also suffers from many medical conditions. I can try an answer any questions you may have. I am sorry I do not have a drawing that I worked off. I also have an improvement idea to my original design. I would make the bottom of the bed, like a a kitchen cabinet, a cut out portion for your feet to slide under. This would allow you to get closer to the bed and reduce the strain on your back. I am not sure of your situation but my son is now six and is and will be in diapers for the rest of his life, so we use his bed as a changing table. Also I made the bed at height where I could change his diaper without bending. I would be happy to talk to you on the phone if it is easier.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-13-2020, 01:23 PM

View ladydiculver's Photo Album My Photos
Doors on front of bed

My daughter has CP and I am working putting doors on the bunk bed frame I bought. Did you make the doors on the front of your son's bed or did you purchase them and cut them to fit? Help!
post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2020, 02:23 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
L. Diculver, this is a very old thread. the original poster has not
been active in six years. you may get better results if you post
a new thread with photos of your project for the best responses.
and welcome to the forum.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode