HuntBoard - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 20Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 02-22-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

View KevinM's Photo Album My Photos
HuntBoard

I started this project about 8 months ago(slow) but I am coming to close on the project.I have been oiling the piece down with a product produced up in Natchez I believe it has some citrus type oil(s) in it.I like the way the colors of the wood are popping out but was wondering is it okay to put a water base satin clear in a couple of weeks.The Wife thinks I should leave it natural (just oil) and while I almost agree I think the top should have a couple of coats after the oil has been applied.

The design is a Garrett Hack while I pretty much followed the blueprints I did deviate here and there.This is the first real piece of furniture I have ever built(computer station) and learned a lot about mortise and tenons.I believe that GH designed the plans that way to teach.The main wood is Sapele/Cherry(3 sides),Birch panels/draw fronts,Maple draws inside/outline to panels and Western Cedar floor(just could no go pine)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodwork 005.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	372239  

Name:	woodwork 006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	372241  

Name:	woodwork 003.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	372243  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-22-2019, 10:02 PM

View mreynolds7714's Photo Album My Photos
That's a very nice piece. I cant help you with the paint though. Not my specialty.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's difficult to say how the water based finish would do. Traditionally waterborne finishes are incompatible with oils. It would help to know specifically what is in the oil finish you used. Some oils never dry. It's more like putting motor oil on the wood so you couldn't put a film finish over it without stripping that oil off first. Citrus oils would fall into that category. If you could post the specific product I might be able to find a MSDS sheet on the finish and maybe see what is in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's difficult to say how the water based finish would do. Traditionally waterborne finishes are incompatible with oils. It would help to know specifically what is in the oil finish you used. Some oils never dry. It's more like putting motor oil on the wood so you couldn't put a film finish over it without stripping that oil off first. Citrus oils would fall into that category. If you could post the specific product I might be able to find a MSDS sheet on the finish and maybe see what is in it.

Thks I will post a pic tomorrow night after work Steve.The oil does seem to dry in a couple of days but the wood is raw right now. Kevin
post #5 of 25 Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Thks I will post a pic tomorrow night after work Steve.The oil does seem to dry in a couple of days but the wood is raw right now. Kevin
There is just problems associated with waterborne finishes. They don't publicize it because the environmentalist are pushing them over oil based products. A simple product like oil stain is incompatible with waterborne finishes because they contain linseed oil. When you put linseed oil on wood you might need to let it dry as much as a week before finishing over it. There is a shortcut though. Any of the hardening oils such as linseed oil you could coat over it after a couple hours with a dewaxed shellac and once it dries you can proceed with the waterborne finish. The citrus oils are not hardening oils so you couldn't even use the dewaxed shellac over them. It would be about like trying to put a finish over paste wax. For that type of oil the wood would first need to be washed with solvents to remove as much of the oils as possible first.

If you haven't put any oil on your table yet you could achieve the same look with a sanding sealer. Then there wouldn't be any issue with the waterborne finish.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 02-22-2019 at 11:28 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

"The Natchez Solution" Thks Steve into the treadmill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	woodwork 001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	372249  

post #7 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
"The Natchez Solution" Thks Steve into the treadmill.
Didn't even have to pull up an MSDS on the finish. It's advertised to be a blend of beeswax, lemon oil and mineral oil. None of these products are suitable under any film finish including dewaxed shellac. These products would have to be stripped from the wood with paint and varnish remover before you could attempt to put a film finish on. If it were me I would just live with the Natchex Solution as the finish. If it looks dry to you it's because the wood has soaked up all you applied. With additional coats it would eventually look finished.

I don't have any first hand experience with that product. Normally with any oil finish you spend 20-30 minutes applying the oil over and over until it seems to not want to accept any more oil. Then wipe off the excess and let it sit. If the wood drinks it up and starts to looking dry do it again. With a lot of oil finishes this could turn into an annual thing to re-oil the wood just because it rubs off at the surface with normal cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
KevinM (02-23-2019)
post #8 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
You have a finish which displays the nature of the woods.

Don't try to make it all into something that it is not.
Oils and water don't mix as a rule anyway.

Keep it clean of dust and maybe a wipe/refresh with the oil finish once a year as SN suggests.
I have the family china cabinet (mahogany) from 1817. Lemon oil wipe, every 10 years.
Jay C. White Cloud and KevinM like this.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Really should of thought about it that way from those chemistry days "like dissolves like".Steve thks for the follow up and I agree about the enviro guys water soluble clears.I just tried one out and actually felt like it flowed and leveled better to me at least definitely not for high use or outdoors.I am thinking of just doing just the very top in a satin clear if it looks good on some scrap.Now back out to the shop oil and play with the machine I am least comfortable with joiner.Thks again fellas for the info and likes Kevin
Brian T likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Really should of thought about it that way from those chemistry days "like dissolves like".Steve thks for the follow up and I agree about the enviro guys water soluble clears.I just tried one out and actually felt like it flowed and leveled better to me at least definitely not for high use or outdoors.I am thinking of just doing just the very top in a satin clear if it looks good on some scrap.Now back out to the shop oil and play with the machine I am least comfortable with joiner.Thks again fellas for the info and likes Kevin
I understand what you were trying to do. Waterborne finishes tend to be really bland and don't make the grain pop. To counter this problem you could use a natural oil stain, boiled linseed oil or tung oil. It just needs to be a hardening oil. These products need extra drying time but could be used since they will dry completely and will make the grain pop as much as the beeswax finish you used.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Steve I do my old military rifles in linseed oil and like it better then the tung I tried once.The tung seemed like it built up like a wax might of been a bad brand or to much so I went back to linseed oil.I am going to play with it some like I said with some scrap Sapele.I got the joiner to work tonight the two boards are are set for the night now I need to make a box jig for the router to make some 2" square inlays for the top to match the legs. Kevin
post #12 of 25 Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Wwell I pulled a ding the other day with the top cut,sanded and beveled and laid it up top it was 3" short the wood is still good for another project just not this one.So,I had to run back to Acadian Cypress and Hardwoods in Ponchatoula LA about 1 1/2 hrs away and I think I got some better Sapele for the top with ribbon in it.The dark piece Massaranduba(bulletwood) and the boards to the right of the door is Meranti picked it all up $215 including tax felt good about that the most expensive was 4.48BF. Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	19
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	372459  

Last edited by KevinM; 03-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-01-2019, 03:52 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Acadian Cypress and hardwoods has a decent selection of wood. Depending on where you live, there may be other sources as well. Acadian would deliver to my shop in Gulfport, Ms

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #14 of 25 Old 03-01-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Acadian Cypress and hardwoods has a decent selection of wood. Depending on where you live, there may be other sources as well. Acadian would deliver to my shop in Gulfport, Ms

I have heard that they will Tony but thought they did the deliveries for an area all the same day?Plus I like it over there and being a little boy in a candy store and picking it yourself well makes me They had some nice stuff in there today I think Chestnut and Zebra was the most expensive I saw with [email protected]$13 and [email protected]$12. Kevin
post #15 of 25 Old 03-01-2019, 05:44 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=KevinM;2041593]I have heard that they will Tony but thought they did the deliveries for an area all the same day?Plus I like it over there and being a little boy in a candy store and picking it yourself well makes me They had some nice stuff in there today I think Chestnut and Zebra was the most expensive I saw with [email protected]$13 and [email protected]$12. Kevin[/QUOTE

My old shop was about 2 ot 3 blocks off of I-10 and so I was more or less on the delivery route. They delivered from Ponchatoula to somewhere in Florida. I was also a business, so maybe that made a difference.

Only one time I rejected a load, I think it was purple heart, dont remember for sure. About 2 days later, they dropped off a new load and picked up the old load. That was the only time I had an unsatisfactory load. Every other time, the delivered goods were up to their normal quality level.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #16 of 25 Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Well I am getting closer to finishing this piece piddling maybe another 5-8hrs.The top is just laying there an I have got to play with the L/R hinge pull it forward if 1/32".I felt at first the top was to busy for the piece but it really begs you to come look at it and that's what I want.I can tell you now my top for my computer station will be this Ribbon Sapele and use the Meranti for frame/boxes underneath with Maple draw fronts.The Meranti is back behind the joiner.
down into 3X pieces I think 6 screws.
down into 3X pieces I think 6 screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	woodwork 002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	372631  

Views:	18
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	372633  

post #17 of 25 Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM

View barongan's Photo Album My Photos
I love this thread, good info
post #18 of 25 Old 03-09-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Opinions Needed

What about the backboard upstairs Mother-in-law's ideal said it needed height a go or no go?To be honest I am not totally against it esp. when most want to refer to it as buffet board.....keeps pies and plates off the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	woodwork 002.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	372827  

post #19 of 25 Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Calling this one Finished

Except for some more wipes of oil.A nice learning curve in this one in mortise/tenon and that chisels are a great tool.The real Persian Rug flaw is the r/door(knife hinges tough) as you look at the pics but I worked on it quite abit and it's better!I have fallen in love with sapele for the time being next project my computer station.Thks for looking in guys and the support. Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	10
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	373517  

Views:	11
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	373519  

Name:	woodwork 004.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	373521  

Name:	woodwork 005.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	373523  

post #20 of 25 Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Now that is looking great. You do good work.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode