Woodworking Talk banner

Hopefully I can get this box to produce

Tags
video
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Woodified 
#1 ·
After some research around the internet I decided to try and grow potatoes in a wooden box to save space. Others have seemed to have had mixed results online. I'm hoping it works out.

#2 ·
There is no reason that it should not work. I have grown potatoes in a raised planter that is along my fence. It was originally constructed as a flower bed. The key to good potato growing is having good seed stock. Your local feed/seed store should be a good place to look for your seed potatoes. I guess that the potatoes at a farmers market would be OK.

You do not have to have your box so tall. About 12" to 15" tall is adequate. Bury the seed potatoes about 8" into the soil. It is best that you get your seed potatoes early and let them sprout in a dry dark place. After they have sprouted is best time to plant.

The picture of the glads is where I planted potatoes for a number of years. It was originally a flower bed, then a potato bed and back to a flower bed. Originally I grew the potatoes inn the main garden, then decided I wanted more room there and moved. Finally got tired of growing potatoes and went back to flowers.

Your raw spruce is not going to last very long in contact with soil.

Attachments

#3 ·
I have grown potatoes in containers with mixed results year to year. The design looks good, I'd use stainless steel deck screws so when you harvest so you can remove the boards. I do prefer the garden method, higher yield and easier to harvest if you have the space. and there nothing like a potato straight from the garden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.