"Honey Do List" Progress - New Patio - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
"Honey Do List" Progress - New Patio

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there hasn't been much fine woodworking going on around here, but there's been plenty of bullwork and tool usage. Yesterday I finally laid the last patio stone, installed the edging, added paver sand, and compacted the whole thing together. There's still plenty of cleanup and landscaping to be done, but it's officially a patio! This was a long time coming, as it required demolishing an old wooden shed, building a new shed in a new location, removing the swim deck, resurfacing and rebuilding the original deck, adding curved steps to the pool, and digging out the whole patio area. Would you believe me if I said I'm tired?!

It's about 365 square feet (13.5' x 24', with an 6'x7' alcove). There's a 4" gravel base, and a 1.5" to 2" stone dust bed under the stones. The stones are a man-made concrete cobble paver purchased from Lowes. The plan is to build a pergola over most of the area, but there are a few projects ahead of that, so it'll likely be fall at the earliest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, great job. that looks fantastic and I'm sure that the Mrs is happy with it as well. Good for you!!!!!!!! Wanna come and do mine? Canada is nice this time of year.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Your patio turned out great. It looks good next to the wood section (for some reason I'm partial to wood). We just had a 300 sq ft paver patio installed, and I sympathize with you for doing it yourself. I installed a paver sidewalk (540 4" squares) to our shed, and what a PITA. It was a chore.

Did you use a power tamper, or did you "dance" on it or use a rubber mallet to compact?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
...Did you use a power tamper, or did you "dance" on it or use a rubber mallet to compact?
Thanks guys...I actually did all of the above....rubber mallet , did the 220# stomp dance, used a hand tamper, then rented a power tamper to pack it down! That hand tamper is nifty shoulder workout!

Ken, Canada sounds wonderful this time of year...I can't stand these humid 90F days! It seems it's the only time they get the forecast right around here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode