Woodworking Talk banner

Homemade Table Saw

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Chamfer 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
That is very nice and I applaud your effort. Your design looks pretty slick.

However, there's no way that top's not going to twist /warp/move over time.

I don't think there's a reliable replacement for a cast iron top. Yes, metal moves too, but not nearly as much as wood. The seasonable/environmental movement from cast metal is well within the tolerances for WW'ing. Using wood for those tolerances is not going to work in the long run.

Don't mean to sound like a prick and I do like what you've done, but it's just not very practical.

#5 ·
I totally agree with you that this is not a replacement for a cast iron top table saw.
But from practicality point it is very relevant to me. The main thing is the cost involved rite now i dont wont to invest in a proper table saw. This saw costed me <100$ to make the cheapest branded table saw available here in India is around 500$. In distance future i will definitely buy one till then have to use what my budget allows.

#6 · (Edited)
this is ultimately practical!

Is it a hard core woodworking machine? .... NO it is not. It will do many things well enough for a beginner or hobbiest on a low budget. Practical is what works under the circumstance, in my book. I started with a Skil saw in a stamped steel table screwed to a piece of plywood. This is a few steps above that.

My next saw was a cast iron Craftsman 100, a 10" saw with all the goodies and I thought I was in woodworker heaven.... Nope, but I thought so.

My next saw was a 12" Craftsman 220V motorized saw and I thought it was the cat's meow....Nope, but it was a fine saw, so I bought another and bolted them all together.... Now we're talkin'. :thumbsup:

Now I have 3 of them all bolted together, and a few others as well. You can't have too many table saws...just sayin'

#8 ·
I love it, great use of a portable machine when you don't have a stationary saw. Also, I wouldn't worry about warping, it is plywood and I am sure you picked a good piece of material.

I went through the pictures and couldn't see how you attached the saw to the table. What actually holds the saw in place?

Also, did you make provision for tilting a bevel or perhaps that isn't necessary for what you plan to do with it?

#9 ·
There was a time in North America when many of us had the same problem that still exists in many parts of the world, very expensive new tools and very few used tools.
Having experienced this I can appreciate why this type of machinery has to be built, and applaud the job you have done.
Keep up the good work.

#11 ·
Excellent job I'm sure it's better than many sold in clothing stores. Hopefully those spring clamps are just stored there and have nothing to do with the operation.

I like building machines and tools too. I'm sure this one won't be your last and the possibilities for fences and fixtures for it are limitless.

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.