Home built screen door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Nix

View NIXILPLIXIN's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to NIXILPLIXIN
Home built screen door

This is a pretty simple project. It was really good to practice the mortise and tenon jointsl. I cut the mortise and tenons by hand. It was a lot of work to get the joints just right. The practice was good, but I want to find a better way to cut the M&T joints. after I finished I water sealed it with honey oak tinted Olympic brand sealer. I also put a working door latch and piston door closer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09416.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	40325  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job. Looks like a fun build. Thanks for sharing.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 AM

View believebraves's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job! Wanna come do mine?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 AM
No Longer Here

View 27207's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice! I want to build a sliding one for my patio door but am afraid the wood won't be strong enough that thin. Turns out I'll have to try it!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 AM
No Longer Here

by the way, how did you secure the screen in the door? When I was dreaming up my design I was thinking of routing a 1/4" x 3/8" rabbet around the frame, then ripping a thin piece of stock to staple in there with the screen sandwiched underneath. But it looks like you have a small groove around the frame to use the standard way of securing the screen, with that 1/8" rubber stuff? Then is that a staple securing that rubber bead? I'm confused why it's stapled also?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Door came out nice. Why only 2 hinges?

post #7 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26 View Post
Very nice! I want to build a sliding one for my patio door but am afraid the wood won't be strong enough that thin. Turns out I'll have to try it!
wood is suprisingly strong when you have good joinery. I felt the same way about mine, but once I took it out of the clamps it felt very secure.j I patterned mine after the factory one that was already there, but I did make it a little more beefy. NOt much just a little more. The other thing is that mine is solid wood, where the factory version is a bunch of small pieces glued together to make a board. after building this I learned alot about this door. I could see where you could very easily make your rails wider, and it would still look good. I didn't do this project to save any money, bc these doors are pretty cheap in the hardware store. But, by making it I really got a better understanding about the joinery, and I had all kind of little ideas while making it about little improvements that could be done.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26 View Post
by the way, how did you secure the screen in the door? When I was dreaming up my design I was thinking of routing a 1/4" x 3/8" rabbet around the frame, then ripping a thin piece of stock to staple in there with the screen sandwiched underneath. But it looks like you have a small groove around the frame to use the standard way of securing the screen, with that 1/8" rubber stuff? Then is that a staple securing that rubber bead? I'm confused why it's stapled also?
You know, this was a worry that I had also. When I got to studying the screen spline goove off the old one I noticed that there was nothing special about it. It was just a groove for the rubber spline to press into. It was the same size as my saw blade. so I just set the depth and set the guide on the table saw and ran them through. I bought a pack of spline from lowes that had three different sizes in it, and I think there were other sizes that I could have bought. it was cheap, maybe a couple of bucks. As far as the staples, Yeah I have a small finishing stapler, so I tuned down the air pressure to it and used a practice piece to get it right. Then I went around the door on the splines and put a staple over the spline about every 6 inches. I did this because people will push on the screen alot of the time instead of the door and eventually the screen will come out. I get tired of having to put the screen back in so I thought it would be a little extra help to hold the screen. the staples went in very nice. you don't notice them when your just lookin at the door. Only used 3/4 inch staples, and i turned down the pressure on the gun so that it wouldn't cut through the spline or go too deep.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Nix

I tried adding the quote to the cabinet man's post but it kept erroring saying that it needed to be at least four characters long, so I just put it here instead
Well there was only two hinges on the old one, and I didn't change them out. Just used the same hinges. I never had a problem with the hinges holding the wieight, bc the door is very light. hmmm never really gave any thought to this really. I guess it was just in my mind that I was going to use the same hinges. It is kind of surprising that I didn't, bc I usually over think and over kill everything that I build .....Thanks for all the nice comments every one. and thanks for looking. I know I love to look at everybodys projects on this site and others. And I always learn alot by browsing. There are alot of very talented guys that are posting.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXILPLIXIN View Post
Well there was only two hinges on the old one, and I didn't change them out. Just used the same hinges. I never had a problem with the hinges holding the wieight, bc the door is very light. hmmm never really gave any thought to this really.
The idea of the third hinge isn't just for the weight issue. It helps support the lower hinge, and reduces the drag (pull) on the upper one. The third hinge also adds to maintaining the integrity of the stile in relation to the jamb.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
autre (03-08-2012)
post #11 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
No Longer Here

thanks for those replies NIXILPIXIN. It really did turn out great. And you're right, I didn't even notice the staples except in the closeup of the door latch. It's a good idea. Thanks for showing us your door!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM

View Chuck M's Photo Album My Photos
That's a nice looking door, I need to make a screen door for the shop before summer gets here. Last summer the bugs had a buffet on me when I would work out there in the evening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode