HOME BUILT - FESTOOL STYLE Multi Functional Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

View KADAMBI's Photo Album My Photos
HOME BUILT - FESTOOL STYLE Multi Functional Table

HOME BUILT - FESTOOL STYLE Multi Functional Table mounted on 8020 extrusions of 45mmX45mm

I wish to share the latest project I have just finished, it is Festool Style MFT with a 20mm holes on the entire table top of 48* X 27" on a 4" square grid. The boring of all these holes was done with a 20mm Carbide Forstner Bit, after carefully drawing a perfect 4" grid on a 19mm MDF board. This board is mounted on a 45mm square 8020 extrusion, which has mitre corners, so that the clamps and other connectors can be inserted from all corners.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KADAMBI For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-14-2015), NickDIY (08-14-2015), Travico (08-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Not a big fan of the Euro Fe$tool way of working but love the 8020 stuff. Nice job.

Al

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-14-2015)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
It blows my mind that it's cheaper than T-track...

Do you have a picture of the whole table? Looks like a nice piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Very interesting design. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Not too often I see someone mixing metric and imperial measurements like that

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-15-2015), OnealWoodworking (08-16-2015)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Very interesting design. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Not too often I see someone mixing metric and imperial measurements like that
With Festool its pretty common, since they are all in metric and us enlightened folks work in Imperial.

The MFT is one of very few Festools I have absolutely no desire to own, mostly because you pay $650 for a folding table with holes in it. I like the idea, but good Lord its expensive.

Yours I like much better.

I hate signatures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-15-2015)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

@Mort, I live in Bangalore India. Till 60s we were using imperial and switched to metric. But even today we use mix of both. Most of units we use metric. But area is still square feet, square miles and dimensions of lumber and wood products etc we continue to use Imperial.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
It blows my mind that it's cheaper than T-track...

Do you have a picture of the whole table? Looks like a nice piece.
Hi, I am adding a few more pictures of the table. Closeup shots of Table levelers to each leg, miter joint of 8020 of frame and with leg joined with corner plates/T-bolts, Grid lines and few bench dog holes and table top mounting to frame with T bolt (counter sunk)
I would take a pic of whole table and share shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150816_004.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	178250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150816_005.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	178258  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to KADAMBI For This Useful Post:
NickDIY (08-17-2015)
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 AM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Happens all the time when using euro hinges, hardware and line boring machines. You will get to a point that you can comfortably use both. Most tools designed for that specific work are going to be in metric. Instruction sheets for that hardware are going to be in metric. All of your bits and such are going to be in metric.

This hinge boring machine is 'Made in the USA':
http://www.conquestind.com/hinge_machine.php

If you look close at the picture you will see a knob at the bottom front and one like it on top. Those are for setting the bits edge distance and depth and I will bet money that those are both calibrated in metric (mm) and have a cool little metric indicator gage right next to the knobs.

If the instructions say to bore the hole at 12.7mm deep you simply turn the knob till the indicator reads 12.7 and you are done.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post
Happens all the time when using euro hinges, hardware and line boring machines. You will get to a point that you can comfortably use both. Most tools designed for that specific work are going to be in metric. Instruction sheets for that hardware are going to be in metric. All of your bits and such are going to be in metric.

This hinge boring machine is 'Made in the USA':
http://www.conquestind.com/hinge_machine.php

If you look close at the picture you will see a knob at the bottom front and one like it on top. Those are for setting the bits edge distance and depth and I will bet money that those are both calibrated in metric (mm) and have a cool little metric indicator gage right next to the knobs.

If the instructions say to bore the hole at 12.7mm deep you simply turn the knob till the indicator reads 12.7 and you are done.
I know most European equipment is metric, but its still pretty off that I see someone going back from imperial to metric in the same sentence unless they have something that has to be metric, like European style cup hingeshinges. I have no doubt that there are people who can work both standards, but generally they stick to one or the other in a project

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-17-2015)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2015, 04:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I worked in the automobile design field

http://www.zmescience.com/other/map-...metric-system/

We started out in inches, decimals to 100 ths, then switched to Metric. Now I am back using Imperial, inches on everything even though Metric makes more sense and is easier. I only have one tape measure that's Metric.
When you start sharing info and files and dimensions is when it becomes important to use the same standard.

About 1980 or so you would have a small block 350 engine with Imperial bolts on the engine and Metric bolts on the accessories... what a PITA to work on. Some sizes are interchangable, but on rusty stuff you better hammer it on or you will round it off using the wrong size. BTDT

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-16-2015 at 05:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (08-17-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode