Home bar - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

View hammerhardonit's Photo Album My Photos
Home bar

First post. I’ve always had a dream to design and build a bar, one worthy of handing down as an heirloom. Drawing inspiration from old Victorian and English artisanship, I admired how the British treasure their woodworking history. You can see many examples of this in the ancient churches and pub’s throughout England. Although never having visited England, it is my heritage, and it gives me a sense of continuance.
I spent one year purchasing materials and designing this piece, which is actually 13 pieces that connect to each other with screws, and dry dowels, to complete a transportable bar measuring 84”H x 78”D x 118” L . It is made of solid walnut, maple, walnut and maple veneers, Hungarian ply, and Wiggle board. The finish coat is a dark cherry. The doors, trim, bar top and rails are in solid walnut, and the plywood framing trimmed with solid maple.
All curved surface’s were created using two to three layers of ¼”Wiggle board laminated (yellow glue) together in a form. They are veneered both sides with a paper backed maple veneer using contact cement, and topped with a solid walnut trim. The curved doors also have a hardwood trim to give rigidity and strength, and to allow acceptance for the hinges.
The bar top, constructed from a double layer of ¾” plywood glued and screwed flat, with a book matched walnut veneer top. The Elephant bar rail, which was personally the most rewarding piece I made, was coved (top side) on the table saw including the solid round corners. Clamping two ¾” sheets of plywood (cut to the inside and outside radius of the bar rail) to the table saw to use as a fence. Raising the blade 1/16th each pass. The bar rail rises up while passing through the blade, so I used a riser block to allow that transition to happen smoothly. The underside of the bar rail was done with the router and finished with a spoke shave and cabinet scrapers. The bar top also has an acrylic “mirror coat” finish.
The back bar mimics the front bar in design, complete with rosettes made on the drill press and expanded with a router and template guides. The fluted pilasters made with 1/2” round nose bit, sit on 7” plinth blocks made on the TS. The cupboards doors are a five piece solid walnut raised panel construction, complete with European hinges.
I designed the upper showcase around the curve of the bent glass doors, because glass molds are very costly to make. Finding a mold with a close radius to what I wanted was not that difficult.
Canopy: The main idea for the canopy was to give space for glassware, house some pot lights, display a few things and most importantly, marrying the front bar to the back bar, an important element in woodworking!
The canopy is built in two sections. There is a hidden seam down the middle amongst the raised panel rails, and held tightly together with six counter bolts. The subtle lighting inside the canopy illuminates the stained glass and really brings out that old English pub feeling. I turned the two lamps in February. I thought it would give a nice added touch.
Cheers! Tony Brampton, Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar with lamps on it.jpg
Views:	2765
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	3549  

Name:	Bar lamps on bar.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3550  

Name:	top view of front bar and back bar.jpg
Views:	2440
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	3551  

Name:	front view of bar.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	3552  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM

View Stick's Photo Album My Photos
That's absolutely stunning!!
post #3 of 17 Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Not much I can say Tony, except awesome !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 PM

View mackem's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

For someone who has never been into a real English Bar(pub) you have made a stunning piece of work Tony, it looks like a bar i must have had a drink or two in many a time. The stained glass is a real
touch of authenticity,you should have many happy hours of sampling a few beers in there.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM

View BigHUGE201's Photo Album My Photos
WOW..... I really cant think of anything else to say. Beautiful.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Extreme Birdhouse Builder

View cranbrook2's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Tony and welcome aboard . I have always enjoyed looking at your beautiful bar . I would love to see it in person some day . This bar was also featured in Canadian Woodworking magazine last year . Great job !!!
post #7 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
bar

Great Job!!
Makes me thirsty just looking at it. Time for a Killian's....
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 AM

View Night Mill Bill's Photo Album My Photos
That is just amazing work! And a very nice write-up about it too!
post #9 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM

View slice606's Photo Album My Photos
Absolutely beautiful!
post #10 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for looking guys.. If your planning to build a bar and have any questions you can p.m. me anytime. and John your welcome at my house anytime.. just give me a call. also I do plan to get over to your neck of the woods sometime this summer and take a look at your magnificent Bird houses. You keep at it.. I'm sure your work willl become world known.. I can't say enough about your work. truly an artist. Cheers Tony
post #11 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM

View JP Sinclair's Photo Album My Photos
Hubba Hubba - That's so pretty I don't think I could bring myself to even sit there with a drink, I would be too scared to spill on a masterpiece like that.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
custom woodworking

View YouNGwOOd's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Very nice lookin. You built yourself a sweet bar!!! Hopefully it came out as what you always dreamed of..........NICE WORK
post #13 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work, and fine craftsmanship. It's a pleasure to see creative woodworking that comes out as nice as that.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM

View MrRodeoCC's Photo Album My Photos
That is absolutely beautiful, I bet making the elephant rail was fun, again great job, I can only hope mine turns out half as well.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

The elephant rail wasn't that bad. the curved section required a double fence and also a riser to allow the wood to come up off the table saw as I was cutting the cove. surprisingly accurate and fun to watch the outcome of a few simple calculations. regards Tony
post #16 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 PM

View Evil Scotsman's Photo Album My Photos
Tony I HAVE been in English Pubs (and Scottish) from East to West and North to South and I must say THAT is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!

post #17 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 PM

View Trappeur's Photo Album My Photos
OMG!!!!!!!

Not much I can say except "WOW"!!!!!!!!

I take that back.....

When is the party? Oh, and yes, I drink Baileys....

Trappeur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode