5Likes
  • 1 Post By was2ndlast
  • 1 Post By smithbrother
  • 1 Post By smithbrother
  • 2 Post By smithbrother

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Golden submarine, in walnut & copper

Here is my next large scale model. 1/4 scale, approx. 36" - 40" long.

I will post other pictures of the piece from different angles, the pictures will be all I will use in the build, not a kit, no drawings, no YouTube help, etc, I will wing it.

As I always do, this model will be solid walnut, and copper.

Saturday a church member, 80 years old called, they are moving into a retirement home, and wanted me to know he wanted me to buy his stock of walnut.

He taught wood shop for over 10 years, and had a nice shop of his own in his basement. He bought a large stash of dried walnut 10 years ago, and had approx. 200 bd. ft. he wanted to sell.

He lives a mile away, so Sunday I went over to see. It was in a dark garage, lots of moving boxes, etc around and over it, so hard to really see.

He wanted $250.00, I looked, and said, that a very fair price, but I'm working on our home right now, so I will pass. Then later yesterday he called and said, DALE, I REALLY WANT YOU TO HAVE MY WALNUT, how about $200.00? I assured him price was not the reason I passed, but he said, I really want you to have it, so I said OK.

Today I was shocked at all he had, and the quality of it, wow, nice stuff. Some pieces over 11 feet long, actually 33 total pieces, some over 1-1/2" thick.

So I'm a happy camper, so to speak. As we were standing there visiting, he turned and said, HERE ARE FIVE MORE LIVE EDGE PIECES, I WAS SAVING FOR A FEW SPECIAL PROJECTS, BUT I WANT YOU TO HAVE THEM TOO. I about fell over, he and his wife sit next to us in church, wonderful couple.

Posting will be slow at first, as with any scratch build, I need to collect my thoughts on how to build this piece. 1st. shop work will be gluing up the large chunk.

Here is the walnut as I prepared to unload in my shop today.

The original GOLDEN SUBMARINE was entered in the 1917 Indy 500, and driven by Barney Oldfield.

The car was destroyed years and years ago, a clone was made a few years ago though. This is an updated HOT ROD version of it, and being arty, I NEVER LEAVE THINGS ALONE. hehe.

Dale in Indy
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Here are some other angles of the piece.

Also the clone of the ORIGINAL GOLDEN SUBMARINE.

Maybe I should consider making the ORIGINAL, maybe, what do you think? It's really ugly, but does grow on ya.

Dale in Indy
Attached Images

post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 AM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Although I like the hot rod a lot better, I think with all the time you will be putting into this it should be to make the original.

Can't wait to see it.

The gentleman who provided the walnut loved that wood....that's why he wanted you to buy it because you will do it justice.
MrFrost likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking, the original HIGH BOY GOLDEN SUB, is probably the way to go. I do though, really like the HOT ROD version.

The original will pull out more questions from those that see it, and the history of the car, along with the driver bring so famous, well, such makes sense, IMO. It is UGLY though, hehe

I am gathering info right now, and if I do decide to go with the painted GOLD piece, then walnut won't be the main material.

THANKS for your comments, that's what I want to know,,,,,viewers opinions. So speak up, sound off!

Dale in Indy
post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 03:46 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
This is gonna be good. Can't wait to see the progress.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Kenbo,,,,,for sure don't expect the picture quality of YOURS, or a saw dust free work bench, YOU are KING OF THE HILL.

Dale in Indy
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM
cps

View cps's Photo Album My Photos
This will be fun project to watch.....and what a deal on the walnut!!! I just ordered 200 BF from a mill in Kentucky, and I will be paying 10 times what you did when you factor shipping.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Smile

I know the walnut purchase was a great buy, with that said, I'm somewhat certain that all that I have done for the church played a role in the price.

I have been lucky enough to build church furniture for three different churches. Here are 5 pieces I made for our church.

Two plant/candle stands, two communion tables, and the pulpit. All my designs, and of South Dakota walnut. During the week the pieces are placed in the lobby/great hall, then Sunday move for the service.

I made the cross, it's stainless steel, and stained glass, it is a scaled version of the cross on the church front. The pieces holding the pulpit top shelf are pieces I made out of electrical conduit, I call them OPEN HANDS. If you look close the glass tops are beveled, I had them made that way, the two tables are positioned within an 1/2" of each other when used.

The gentleman that sold me the walnut is a very active church member, and is aware of my work for the church.

I feel blessed,

Dale in Indy
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
GROOVY (04-27-2016)
post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I have decided to make this large scale model, the GOLDEN SUBMARINE, not the HOT ROD version.

Reason being, it has so much history, along with the famous driver, Barney Oldfield.

The car ran in dozens of races, won many, so this will be my build.

I'm guessing it will be over 36" long, PAINTED. not walnut.

Dale in Indy
Attached Images

MrFrost likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I'm seeking measurement of this car, at least some basic stuff, like length, wheel base, width, tire size, etc. I have a friend in NY that says he can come up with such, so we will see. I need some info in order to scale to 1/4th. If i don't come up with measurements, I will wing it, but better to have some basic info.

At the same time I am working on a jig that will aid my building the four approx. 9-10" copper wire wheels. I may even make them out of walnut, with walnut spokes, MAYBE.

So hope to have more info to forward soon.

Also, thinking I will build like most of my models out of walnut and copper. Such will make the piece stand PROUD, painted won't do that, IMO. Plus walnut and copper are what I'm known for, hehe.

Dale in Indy
The Following User Says Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
was2ndlast (05-10-2016)
post #11 of 12 Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Recently a few have asked, WHAT'S THE STORY ON 'SMITHBROTHER' as you handle.

My deceased brother Glen and I were in the same class in High School. Long story, but our last three years we were together in class.

In the 50's SMITH BROTHERS cough drops were popular, and so friends started call us TRADE & MARK, I was Trade, he was Mark, then they combined it to SMITHBROTHER, and it stuck. To this day friends call me SMITHBROTHER.

Our Mother was called 'MUD' by many, that started when us five kids were very small and starting to talk, and we said, MUDDER, instead of Mother, so it changed to MUD, she was a very well educated Mother, and loved the name, so it too stuck, it was to her a GOOD REMINDER OF OUR YOUTH.

How did you come up with your handle?

Dale in Indy
MrFrost likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Smile

I'm making progress on measurements for the GOLDEN SUBMARINE. I found a artist in England that had drawn the Sub, so I wrote him. He wrote back that he doesn't have any measurements, but he gave me the name and E-mail address of the man that built the SUB clone. I have written him, and hope to hear soon. My new friend in England says the builder has all the info I need, and that he will reply.

Hoping to be building SOON.

Dale in Indy
Mort and MrFrost like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode