4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tourless
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By kiwi_outdoors

post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

View Tourless's Photo Album My Photos
The Gate

So I built a gate. It's a nice gate. It's a long gate, about 56" across. 1x4's, standard box store balusters, some exterior screws, and some solid redwood stain. I'm happy with it, with a few exceptions. Fist off I have to figure out the lock which might just go straight into the side of a 2x6. My measurements were off and I had to rip the short sides by about an inch, not the end of the world. The world ended when I hung it and it sagged. Ok, not really the end of the world but I was a little disappointed. So now I have to figure out how to fix the sag. I know the box stores have a $12 kit with a tension wire but I'm curious how some folks here might have solved a sagging gate problem. And yes, I have a little more staining to do. Anyway pics or it didn't happen...

GCTony likes this.

-Steve

Last edited by Tourless; 06-11-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added additional pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2020, 03:31 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Pull the gate back into square and add a diagonal wood piece to act as a brace. For best results, it should connect low at the hinge end and high on the latch end with both ends attached to the vertical edge pieces of your gate. The weight of the gate will then be transferred to the bottom hinge, and the gate will remain square without buying expensive hardware.

Charley
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Since your design is on the open style I would not use wood to correct the sag. I would use the tension wire kit.

Of course how and where you are using the gate could make a difference and you do not give that information.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
...how and where you are using the gate could make a difference and you do not give that information.
It's a gate blocking the stairs from a deck. Only three or four stairs. I'm probably going to try the diagonal piece of wood since I think I have one long enough left over.

I'll keep you posted.

-Steve
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2020, 12:04 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I've fought the gate sag thing for ages.

be aware, the corner-to-corner cable and wood approach puts the sagging gate into torsion aka "twisting"
eventually the gate becomes no longer "flat"
if you can get the cable to pull "dead center" of the structure, that works. but achieving that is not so easy.

if you have the option, install something on the latch side that supports the weigh of the gate when closed.
it may sag a bit when opened, but if it spends most of its time closed it will not sag&deform.
a taper lead on a block on the latch post, if the ground falls away on opening a extension to the latch stile, there are "spring loaded roller" gadgets available....
really depends on the individual situation.
Tourless likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2020, 03:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Use two screws per slat .......

As it is now, the single screws acts as pivot points so when force is applied at one end it will fold like a kiddee gate. Two screws per slat will prevent the tendency to collapse. I made almost the same gate ... 2x 6's and the same slats. The biggest difference is that I used a half-lap joint in the corners and glued the pieces together using several screws per corner.

If I were you, I'd use a tension wire with a turn buckle from the lower latching corner to the upper hinged corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_173011 (1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	390999  

Name:	20200410_172926 (1).jpg
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	391001  

Name:	20200410_172957 (1).jpg
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	391003  

Tourless likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-12-2020 at 04:02 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2020, 09:34 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
take the slats off and reinstall them with exterior glue and screws

then you don't need the tension diagonal or brace
hoowasat likes this.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Well my leftover wood is too short. Based on everyone's input, plus my wifes... I'm probably going to try a combination of the tension cable and a small block placed at the bottom of the lock edge with a cutout in the middle to act as a catch/secondary obstacle for opening the gate. The gate will spend most of it's time closed and I think between the cable and the additional support it will receive for most of it's closed time, it will hold up just fine. If I'm smart I can graduate the bottom block so the gate will auto close and snap into place. That would also serve to give additional security should the gate not be locked and just simply left to close. Hopefully today is the day, but perhaps tomorrow depending on how my day plays out. Anyway, thank you everyone for all the input and I'll let you know how it plays out.

-Steve

Tags
gate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode