It has been a pretty productive week. We've only been working 4 or 5 hours in the morning, because by noon, it's too hot and humid to function. But even with limited time, we got the back deck down, cut away the siding at the bottom and replaced the rim joist. I really lucked out, in that the sill plate is nowhere nearly as bad as I thought. I didn't even need to replace any of it, which is good because I was not looking forward to trying to jack the house up. There's about a 2' long section where the outer 1" is a bit soft, but the rest of the board supporting the joists feels and looks in good condition. The worst part of it is between two joists anyway, and only leaves a tiny 1/8" gap between the bottom edge of the rim joist and the sill. The original rim joist is what took the bulk of the damage. With exception to a few little spots that were still partially intact, most of it was rotted completely through, or at least looked like black swiss cheese... Most of it we raked out by hand. I had to replace about 20' of rim joist... So the joists in that span werent really tied together for many many years. Only two joists are rotted on the end, the rest are just a little damp just on the very bottom corner, with maybe very very minor rot. But not nearly enough to make me worry about it or want to spend the time and money patching it. Should be just fine. Just need to cut back and scab about 4' on one of them, and about 2' on the other. Then there is one in the middle of the span, the leaking pipes from the picture above, that is a double, and needs a 3' section cut and scabbed. Taking the weekend off, because this week has drained me, but first thing Monday, I'll start pulling up subfloor, and start capping off old plumbing and old electrical, then scab the joists that need it, and put down new subfloor. Then I should be ready to do some minor interior framing, and reframe the exterior wall in the old bathroom.
Last edited by Jesse Blair; 07-21-2017 at 03:48 PM.