The first order of business was to make a new support for the right wing of the saw. There are four holes in the wing which are perfect for attaching it to.
The fence rails use two of these holes for some brackets, so I chiseled a relief into the board (a mortise I think?) to allow it to lay flush against the wing. The board also has to be notched to clear the rear fence angle rail.
Temporary clamped to check the fit. The other two supports are from the old table and will be reused, although the left outer wing support will be doubled in thickness like the new one. These nice wide pieces will also make a good place to put some hooks for my fence and miter gauge when not in use!
The thickness of the iron top is exactly 1 1/2 inches, so I will reuse the 3/4" plywood cleats from the old table. When the MDF is applied on top this makes it sit about 1/16" lower.
The new stub is 3/4" MDF which will be screwed down to the cleats. I am going to attach a board to the end of the supports and the MDF stub to help support the left section in this picture. I also still have to make the miter slots.
On the old stub I hadn't made provisions for taking the guard/splitter assembly on and off. A few minutes of looking at the "Let's see some damage" thread convinced me that I would use it from then on. It literally takes seconds to remove, loosen a thumbscrew and it slides off of a steel dowel. Much safer for me!
Last weekend I laminated two pieces of 3/4" MDF for the top. I was worried about the cure of the contact cement because of a colder night. I tried to pull them apart today, but it wouldn't budge! And it is nice and flat!
I cut out the bottom piece of the MDF to let my router sit on the underside of the top piece. I placed the router closer to the edge for comfortable working. If I have larger pieces or panels to rout, I can always use the wider portion of the table for them, going in the opposite feed direction of course!
After much thinking about my options, I've decided to mount my router directly to the top. I know I will lose the 3/4" depth immediately. On my old table I had to make an adaptor plate from a piece of plywood and I actually lost almost an inch of depth with it. I still never ran into any issues with depth loss for any routing, so with the small gain I make here I will be okay for the time being.
If the weather cooperates tomorrow I'm hoping to get the laminate applied!
Thanks for looking.