Floor handle wood restoration - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

View Wood-Dood's Photo Album My Photos
Floor handle wood restoration

Hello everyone!

It's a really nice forum you have here, until today I wouldn't have imagined such a forum existed. Too bad I've come here for the reason below. No worries though, I'm optimistic that with your help it will be like new again with minimal effort.

How did such a thing happen, you ask? I guess I'll never know, it was done by vandalistics who obviously had no respect for property.

The plan:

1. Attempt to remove paint residue with enamel paint thinner and a cloth.
2. If step 1 does not work, proceed to sanding the stained area with 180 grit sand paper until stains are removed (if possible).
3. Clean work area, mask metal parts, wall and any other areas which will not be painted.
4. Paint area with wood lacquer using brush or a small roller. Repeat for about 2-3 coats, as necessary to acheive similar appearance to the rest of the clean wood area.

Well, not every job can be fun and rewarding, but I gotta do it.

I sincerely appreciate any support. Thanks.
Wood-Dood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Welcome to the forum. If it were my project to do, I would sand the stain out of the wood. But that me. Before you start sanding, wait for some more oppions. And you will get more than one. There are some guys and gals on here who know far more than me. Good Luck.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. As a car detailing guy we have a saying: always use the least invasive method. Start with a mild approach (cleaning in this case), see if it works. If not, gradually use a more agressive approach (sanding) until the job is done. I actually tried cleaning the stains with dish soap, it removed only the loose paint but nothing more.

I'll wait a few hours and then do some work on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 PM

View justin2009's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-Dood View Post
Thanks. As a car detailing guy we have a saying: always use the least invasive method. Start with a mild approach (cleaning in this case), see if it works. If not, gradually use a more agressive approach (sanding) until the job is done. I actually tried cleaning the stains with dish soap, it removed only the loose paint but nothing more.

I'll wait a few hours and then do some work on this.
Is the wood bare? The spray paint was sprayed onto bare wood, or is there a finish on the wood?

If there's a clear finish, you can lightly scrape the paint off of the finish with a razor blade or scraper blade. Then patch the finish with some wipe on oil or poly - whatever type of finish was used originally.

That would be my approach. I've had to get some dropped oil based paint off my wood floors and that's what I did and it worked out okay.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree. I believe I'd start with the paint thinner as a start. You might even try using a little steel wool with the thinner.

When I'm trying to match an existing finish, I normally will take some wiping poly mixed with stain and start rubbing on thin coats. If you choose to try this method, select a stain that is slightly lighter and you'll get some darkening with every coat. The nice thing about wiping poly is you can generally rub on another coat in a few hours.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
How many running feet of this is there?

Never lick a steak knife.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Location: 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere in PA. that's Pennsylvania, the state of precipitation.
View creative novice's Photo Album My Photos
your fix to the spray paint..

i agree with others...try the paint thinner first. i goof around with trying to get weird finishes off and on again and restoration of antiques and repainting them to look old again etc... somewhere along the lines i found two things to work in varying situations....
1. the good old aerosol can oven cleaner will take off alot of finishes...you could try spraying it into its cap and "paint" it onto the spots , let sit a short while and then scrape gently with a plastic spoon, may need to repeat
2. OR (and) ..good old denatured alcohol also softens up alot..do the same, trying to keep it off of the good finish.

good luck... creative novice
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys, I just wanted to thank you for the help, however it's irrelevant from now on. The wood just had to stay like this for others to decide how they want it. Just for fun, here's the info you asked for: justin2009, The wood is stained. What seemed to be sprayed on is actually brushed on paint which was partially removed. bradnailer, good approach. I've done this (with the steel wool), but this time had no luck. The thinner wasn't strong enough for this paint. I'm sure it would work wonders in other projects though. Rob, about 4 feet; I think. We use meteric here (maybe 1meter). creative novice, thanks for the tips. Peace out for now. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode