This is my first attempt at a build thread, so please bare with me and pardon the lack of detail that some of the other guys here put in their threads.
To give you some background on this project: in 2009, our first 2 children, twins, drowned at the age of 2. Obviously, this was, and continues to be, a very difficult thing for my wife and I. The Lord has blessed us with 3 more children since that has helped heal the wound some, however, there will always be an emptiness until we are reunited again. Anyway, we have held on to the twins' (Brayden and Kenadi) cribs for the past 4 years. We have no use for them anymore, but we just couldn't bear to get rid of them. My wife saw online where some people had taken cribs and turned them into benches. We thought this would be a good way to re-use the cribs. This will be something we can use, it will be in our home, and will be a way of keeping something that they used so much incorporated into our home.
The first picture shows what I started with.
The second pic shows where I clamped a few panels together to get an idea of how I wanted it to look. In this pic, I haven't cut any panels; they are all still full-size. To me, this just made the bench too wide/deep.
The next picture shows the side panels with the original-length front "leg". When the crib was assembled, this panel attached high onto the back panel. For a bench, this is unsightly, so I decided to cut this down some.
Here, I used my crosscut sled to cut the front "legs" flush with the rest of the side panels. Notice I used a clamp as a stop block so that I can repeat the cuts for each panel. Since I had 2 cribs, I have 4 panels. I may make another bench after I complete this one.
I also cut 2 slats off of the side panes to make them more narrow; more appropriate for a bench.
Great project idea! Your seat may need a vertical support brace underneath so it won't flex too much. The sides and back are being used the way the crib parts were used originally, but for adult weight the seat (a vertical panel laying horizontal) should be reinforced.
After trimming down both sides, it was time to trim down what was the crib's front panel to be used for the seat.
Next, I clamped the "seat" in place to see how it looks.
This is where I'm at for now. I have to get some dowels to fill the original hardware holes and then sand and paint. I'm also going to use a piece that was cut off of the "seat" to use for a brace and attachment point at the back. Thanks for looking!
4D, I shortened the span of the seat area, so I'm hoping that it will be strong enough. If not, I will add an additional support. Also, we are going to add a fairly thick cushion that my wife is going to sew, so I believe this will help in spreading the load.
wood_shavings, like stated above, we are going to add a thick cushion, so I think that will bring the seat-height to a comfortable level. That was factored in when picking the height for that piece.