Electric Upright Bass - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dreamwake

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

View dreamwake's Photo Album My Photos
Electric Upright Bass

I may have posted this before, might not have so I post again. Well this to needs a transducer connected to it like my violin I just posted, and run it through a Kustom bass amplifier. I like how they sound through a Kustom bass amp. I sold the transducer I had. Its made of poplar. I think I'm gonna drop tune it to DGCF. I've wrote all my songs in that tuning anyways. It will also relieve some pressure off the neck. Those strings are thick! They are cheapos and sound just as good as the expensive ones. I'm gonna put new tuners in it eventually Titan Grover bass tuning machines. It wasn't as hard to cut out on a band saw as one might believe. But the neck was cut out on a 20 inch some bandsaw I don't know. I stand five foot six and its a little taller than me. TO BAD THEY DON'T MAKE Electric upright basses for left handed people that want one, not everyone can make their own like I can! That bugs me they still think its the 1800's or something and besides its electric they don't play electric uprights in orchestras! Their might be a lefty out there but I've never seen one. I think lefties are 10 percent of the market concerning guitars or music things. So they don't bother, but nonetheless we exist!

Julie Mor likes this.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamwake For This Useful Post:
gomez11811 (06-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
That would make Les Paul smile!--
Good job-
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting shape. You should do a video, with sound, of it being played. I'd love to hear the sound you get out of something like that, and the violin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

View dreamwake's Photo Album My Photos
thanks for the comments. yep it is quite a different shape. It works for my music, its instrumental metal with a fantasy and classical like sound, something different. I could do a video but I got no thing to take decent video with and get a good clear sound. I'm not really going to invest in one anytime soon though. Well I don't know how it sounds with a bow, never used one on a bass. But it does make a nice low plucking sound. Depending on the strings you use it has more or less snap to it. I prefer the ones with less. I'll be getting a schatten RB-1 bass transducer/pickup they cost 100 dollars some go for more though but I find this one works pretty good with a Kustom bass amplifier with no gimmicks. I would like to try distorting the sound. It might be kinda cool.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM

View jspadaro's Photo Album My Photos
That looks very cool. I know when making acoustic instruments you have to follow a specific set of guidelines to get good sound.

Do you have to worry about that at all with an electric? How do you embed the pickup? Just curious, I know absolutely nothing about making electric instruments.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 PM
WOOD IS MY FRIEND!

View woodgood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
That looks very cool. I know when making acoustic instruments you have to follow a specific set of guidelines to get good sound.

Do you have to worry about that at all with an electric? How do you embed the pickup? Just curious, I know absolutely nothing about making electric instruments.

first this is dreamwake under a new name because I could not log in, lost my old email password! And to answer your question. Nope no guidelines! you get to do whatever you want!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome back, LOL.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgood View Post
first this is dreamwake under a new name because I could not log in, lost my old email password! And to answer your question. Nope no guidelines! you get to do whatever you want!
Hey! I can help you access your old account and then merge these! I will send you a PM.

"Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."

Tags
electric bass, upright bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode