electric upright bass - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-24-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

View dreamwake's Photo Album My Photos
electric upright bass

Cut the neck out on a 18 inch bandsaw. Cut the body out on a 10 inch bandsaw. Grover Titan tuning machines. Slap Happy 155 - 80 gauge. Sorry I painted over the wood, it was poplar. I would think if it was made of any harder wood it would been to heavy, besides that was all I had, but its easy to work with. Especially for such a bigger instrument. Ok it works by using a double bass pickup, A schatten RB-1 I plan to get and install it. The pickup goes into a slot in the bridge that I have yet to make and the jack connected to the pickup will go under the tailpiece. Ha! No wiring! I don't like wiring! Had to make the two lowest string ends thinner so they would fit in the tuning machines. I think the paint job kinda looks like "Starry Night" Not everyone will like the paint job, It goes with my music I make which is instrumental metal that has a magical quality to it. I got the paint job done by spraying it all black first then spray painting it a true blue while dabbing some of it off with a rag and the black shows through a bit. then lightly spraying areas with sun yellow then lightly spraying it with some black then pressing the yellow can down very gently to create the drips. I think valspar spray paint is the best for that!!! Is that good or bad thing? well good thing in my case! Thats what makes the tiny droplets. THEN I got some black droplets on it to. The neck and body are held on by four 3 inch screws. I wanted 3 1/4 but didn't have any. Anyways its a 4/4 scale upright no, not a 3/4! The body on mine is 18 inches tall and 2 inches thick, the hardest part is the neck obviously. That is 44 inches long and 3 inches thick! It works great through a kustom KXB amplifier didn't sound so great through the Acoustic 50 watt amp, I forget the model name but its been discountinued I think. The finger board does not have a radius, Its un-needed I don't plan to use a bow anyways. It can be used either lefty or righty. I'm a lefty and they don't make electric uprights for lefties ha! I've never seen one!

The neck wood 3x4 7/8 x44

DROP TUNE THAT BASS

Last edited by dreamwake; 12-24-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting project-----How does it sound?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-24-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
Interesting project-----How does it sound?
ah, It's low but not so low you can't recognize the note. Its more of a plucking sound than an electric bass. But it doesn't quite sound like a acoustic double bass I don't think. I've never played a acoustic double bass. The notes are clear! hard for me to describe sound, I had one before this and I have yet to put the pickup on this one. I don't have the pickup, sold it! It works great for the music I make, nice low thumps or whatever ya know!

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I bet that will be a real good instrument ,if and when ,you add a pick up----
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 08:11 PM

View Travico's Photo Album My Photos
Another Nice Build!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2015, 12:53 PM

View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
Did you just build a zero radius upright? I have played for years, and I know guys that swear by the no radius idea on an electric bass, but I have never seen an upright without a heavy fretboard radius. You will have to report if playing it is comfortable, once you get more time on it!

Simon
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lim View Post
Did you just build a zero radius upright? I have played for years, and I know guys that swear by the no radius idea on an electric bass, but I have never seen an upright without a heavy fretboard radius. You will have to report if playing it is comfortable, once you get more time on it!

Simon

yeah I did! but I've never played a acoustic upright bass so I don't know how a fingerboard radius feels! The zero radius seems fine actually, can get at every note easily and the bridge I made is flat too so that helps.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travico View Post
Another Nice Build!!!!!!!!!
thanks, I just put the satin lacquer on last night.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamwake For This Useful Post:
Travico (12-30-2015)
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 PM
piano fixr

View gomez11811's Photo Album My Photos
Cool looking (as usual) bass, I`m wondering how much tension is on the neck ( what is the tuning, what kind of strings, etc...). The fingerboard on an acoustic bass ( thick chunk of ebony) is what does most of the work of stopping the neck from bowing under the tension from the strings (truss rod on electrics...)... Keep an eye on it and mabie de-tune when youre not using it......
post #10 of 10 Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez11811 View Post
Cool looking (as usual) bass, I`m wondering how much tension is on the neck ( what is the tuning, what kind of strings, etc...). The fingerboard on an acoustic bass ( thick chunk of ebony) is what does most of the work of stopping the neck from bowing under the tension from the strings (truss rod on electrics...)... Keep an eye on it and mabie de-tune when youre not using it......

ya know It would seem like there is alot of tension because it wants to pull my tailpiece I got out!!! And it is screwed all the way down. The strings are slap happy nylon kevlar core strings 155 gauge being the biggest. They are held in place by Grover Titan bass tuning machines. I did not want to go to a 170 gauge string, to much tension! lol mine don't have a truss rod that's why the shaft of the neck is 1.5 inches thick of poplar at the thinnest points. Not the toughest wood but its alot easier to cut then a chunk of maple. I don't know much about physics so if it don't last, make a new one! Yeah I detune it when not playing!

DROP TUNE THAT BASS

Tags
bass, electric upright bass, trent hausman, upright bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode