Woodworking Talk banner

Dog cart finished

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  mrnagrom 
#1 ·
Just finished the wood/metal work on this dog cart. I'll hitch my Giant Schnauzer thereto and give her a workout. :smile: I chose a patriotic finish. The younger kids in the neighborhood will love the ride.

See less See more
#7 ·
This is not her first set of wheels. First one was sort of a "Rent-a-Wreck" I put together in a couple of hours with some electrical conduit and a plastic milk crate. I think she was embarrased to be seen with it. This was designed with the neighborhood yard squad in mind.:smile:

#10 ·
Picture of Flirt

Here is Flirt, my 65# Giant Schnauzer bitch harnessed up for the first time. She's a little shy, the shafts and her harness are in conflict, so I have some cutting and trimming to do. But she's ready for the farmers market and carrying home all the stuff that we buy.

#18 ·
there's something so wrong with this project.. alas i can't quite put my finger on it.
rather than being snide perhaps you can withold your posting untill you have a fully formed complete thought. If you can't say something constructive be quiet.:thumbdown:

#21 ·
Hey Jerry,
That pic with the kids is priceless. The dog doesn't look so enthused though. How far will the dog pull the kids before it gets tired? Also,
are the kids able to control the dog's pace, starting, stopping, etc.? Might be something for America's funniest videos if you get the dog to do something funny.:laughing:
Mike Hawkins

#23 · (Edited)
Gerry - Flirt is fed 2% of her body weight every day. My vet and the breeders I know have suggested this amount for healthy growth and maintenance. I also am in the camp of those owners who believe that feeding our dogs processed dog food (wet or dry) is detremental to the health of well being of the dog. Basically, dogs are carnavores so we feed them raw meat. Chicken has most of the necesssary food values that provide the closest over all natural diet - meat and bones.

BTW, this raw food diet has the added effect of preventing tarter build up on her teeth and gums like kibble will over time. Healthy teeth prevents a number of dental problems and Vet visits.

Mike - because Flirt is just new to cratring she has to be walked on the leash. A bridle to control her direction can be had from an outfit that makes reins for Llamas. That's coming later.

The head down posture doesn't necessarily mean she's not happy with her current lot in life. I've had a 10 pound back pack oh her during hikes in the foot hills around Fort Collins and she presents the same head down attitude. It's as if she's focused and concentrating on the task of "work".

There is a whole population of dog owners who are devoted to the sport of carting just as there are owners who train their doogs for the obsticals or tracking or long jumping. The field competitions are held and winner dogs are awarded points and titles which make the animal valuable for breeding. It's a little like horse racing.

Thanks for your comments. Next project almost finished :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.