Do I have enough for my first "Craft Fair" - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
Do I have enough for my first "Craft Fair"

Decided a few months ago to make stuff to sell, pretty much made all this stuff, and stuff not pictured in just a few months.

However, I am 11 days away from my first craft fair, and I am wondering if I have enough inventory, plus how to price it.

Some stuff I am taking, like the clocks, Cedar Chest, my Walnut Shop Stool, kids toys not to sell, but as an example of what can be ordered.

I also have, well its like a cutting board but it has all the different species, finished half semi and half gloss, to help people choose the materials they might want in a custom order.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Inventory I will be taking
30 bowls
2 Cherry Clocks
4 Lamps
Truck, Trailer, Backhoe, Road Grader
2 Desktop Organizers
10 Spoons
Cedar CHest
Walnut Stool

I am sure I can pump out more stuff, input appreciated. And pricing on the bowls, well hell alot of stuff I am not sure about.

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Someone has been a busy beaver,All looks good to me and Im sure you will sell a bunch.Nice work there.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
Where is the craft fair?

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
More info will help get better answers.

Where is this craft air? Geographic location and place ( church,school, convention center)

How much did it cost to get in? A $20-$40 craft fair will probably need less stuff then one of the big ones. Not always some of my best shows were school shows.

Is this a one or two day show?

Pricing is hard and depends on Locarno, income level etc. it also can be determined by cost of materials, the craft fair and how many people are expected to be there.

I'm thinking you may have enough fora smaller craft fair but no where near enough of a large one. Just a guess asked on your list.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIFmike View Post
Where is the craft fair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
More info will help get better answers.

Where is this craft air? Geographic location and place ( church,school, convention center)

How much did it cost to get in? A $20-$40 craft fair will probably need less stuff then one of the big ones. Not always some of my best shows were school shows.

Is this a one or two day show?

Pricing is hard and depends on Locarno, income level etc. it also can be determined by cost of materials, the craft fair and how many people are expected to be there.

I'm thinking you may have enough fora smaller craft fair but no where near enough of a large one. Just a guess asked on your list.

Trade Days, Mckinney, TX. Collin Co

fri/sat/sun

Never ever been to one, no idea what they are like.

70.00 first time, 20.00 each month after that.

Kinda wanted to get a feel for it, then I'll know what people may be looking for, etc.

If I sell out on day 1, I'm happy.

post #6 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure your display has some varying height to it. As for pricing, it really depends upon your local market. What sells for $100 here might nanotubes sell for $50 there, or vice versa. When I entered into the craft fair craziness, I shopped several shows the prior year to get an idea what things were going for. Set a price that you'd be ok paying if you couldn't make it yourself and don't be afraid to raise or lower accordingly once you get a sense of the competition.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good to me. All that stuff you could be the craft fair, although I've never been to one myself.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Make sure your display has some varying height to it. As for pricing, it really depends upon your local market. What sells for $100 here might nanotubes sell for $50 there, or vice versa. When I entered into the craft fair craziness, I shopped several shows the prior year to get an idea what things were going for. Set a price that you'd be ok paying if you couldn't make it yourself and don't be afraid to raise or lower accordingly once you get a sense of the competition.

Steve, the price difference when I moved from Tacoma to Fort Worth back in 2004 hit me like a brick, a 250,000.00 house here....is like a house on Mercer Island, It's way cheaper here.

The plan has always been to pick up profits in bulk. By spending the time to make interchangeable jigs, sleds, etc, I save man house in milling material, assembly, etc. My Stave Checkerboard bowls, 4 3/4" x 48" pieces edge glued together do 2 bowls, takes 2 minutes to cut the staves on the sled, if I had a waist high stack of ready to cut boards, I could cut say....100 bowls worth of material in 45 minutes.

I have glue up jigs to glue up bowl halves, 5 at a time. I got nothing better to do sometimes than come up with this crap... blame my dad, he tells Lockheed how to build the JSF fighter, its in me genes.....

However, it really is in the Jigs, templates, masters. Take the time to make a master, make a jig, save it, it cuts man hours down bigtime.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
I agree totally and would add don't try toguesswhat they want and only make those things. What sells today may not next week. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what will sell. Try and keep a good variety to make sure.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut View Post
Trade Days, Mckinney, TX. Collin Co

fri/sat/sun

Never ever been to one, no idea what they are like.

70.00 first time, 20.00 each month after that.

Kinda wanted to get a feel for it, then I'll know what people may be looking for, etc.

If I sell out on day 1, I'm happy.
Ahh yes Third Monday trade days. I will be there walking through. Been wanting to sell there but have not made enough extra stuff yet. It sells as fast as I make it.

Got my kid helping now.

The plan was to go check it out and see what sells there and check into booth spaces as far as how big they are in person and location. Then I will decide on whether or not to try it.

It seems like the price is very fair for access to people who A have money and B are there just to look at stuff and buy stuff.

I will look for your booth and good luck!

post #11 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut View Post
Steve, the price difference when I moved from Tacoma to Fort Worth back in 2004 hit me like a brick, a 250,000.00 house here....is like a house on Mercer Island, It's way cheaper here.

The plan has always been to pick up profits in bulk. By spending the time to make interchangeable jigs, sleds, etc, I save man house in milling material, assembly, etc. My Stave Checkerboard bowls, 4 3/4" x 48" pieces edge glued together do 2 bowls, takes 2 minutes to cut the staves on the sled, if I had a waist high stack of ready to cut boards, I could cut say....100 bowls worth of material in 45 minutes.

I have glue up jigs to glue up bowl halves, 5 at a time. I got nothing better to do sometimes than come up with this crap... blame my dad, he tells Lockheed how to build the JSF fighter, its in me genes.....

However, it really is in the Jigs, templates, masters. Take the time to make a master, make a jig, save it, it cuts man hours down bigtime.
I make jigs for everything at my day job. So many in fact the guys say I have a jig for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM

View preacherman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know anything about the craft fair enviorment but you have some very nice items there. I especially like those lamps.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

Yep I'm going to have to see them in person. I tried to get to TMTD last month but had too many orders to get away from the shop. I will make it this month.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I think that most people at a craft fair buy on the spur of the moment. If you have something to sell, have it on hand so that they can walk out with it in their hand. Do not rely on people placing orders.

George
post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I think that most people at a craft fair buy on the spur of the moment. If you have something to sell, have it on hand so that they can walk out with it in their hand. Do not rely on people placing orders.

George

I've learned my lesson with tire kicking false orders.....50% deposit separates the serious people from the tire kickers.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Good grief I hope so! That's a lot of work sitting there. Good luck with it.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a small booth you should have plenty of product. A display always looks better if full to the brim with product. What this says to the shoppers is "I've got a lot of product here because I expect to sell a lot".

I've sold some segmented bowls similar to yours at craft fairs. I make a few simple ones and a few fancier ones and them mostly ones that are in between. The in betweens sell best. But segmented bowls are labor intensive. If I figured my labor to make and then market them, well it's a labor of love.

I wouldn't count on custom orders. These things are usually impulse buyers.

Bret
post #18 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Ranch View Post
If you have a small booth you should have plenty of product. A display always looks better if full to the brim with product. What this says to the shoppers is "I've got a lot of product here because I expect to sell a lot".

I've sold some segmented bowls similar to yours at craft fairs. I make a few simple ones and a few fancier ones and them mostly ones that are in between. The in betweens sell best. But segmented bowls are labor intensive. If I figured my labor to make and then market them, well it's a labor of love.

I wouldn't count on custom orders. These things are usually impulse buyers.

Bret
After the 3rd segmented Stave bowls I built permanent jigs, now if needed, I could do a serious production run of them if I needed to. However there is no jig for the ripping and planing, gluing and re-planing, but cutting the staves, gluing the bowls up, bases to bowls, blocks to bases, yeah I have that part covered.

Im sick of that style bowl right now, I actually have another 20 of them on a shelf that either need to be glued up, or need basses, turned, etc. I just dont want to do a bunch more, I need to finish the desktop organizers, spoons and I have artwork/tags/diplay info i need to do anyway.

Plus, I want to get started on my natural edge+Burl+Open segmented project, and the Open Segmented vase I want to make for the house. And there is Christmas coming.....

post #19 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut

After the 3rd segmented Stave bowls I built permanent jigs, now if needed, I could do a serious production run of them if I needed to. However there is no jig for the ripping and planing, gluing and re-planing, but cutting the staves, gluing the bowls up, bases to bowls, blocks to bases, yeah I have that part covered.

Im sick of that style bowl right now, I actually have another 20 of them on a shelf that either need to be glued up, or need basses, turned, etc. I just dont want to do a bunch more, I need to finish the desktop organizers, spoons and I have artwork/tags/diplay info i need to do anyway.

Plus, I want to get started on my natural edge+Burl+Open segmented project, and the Open Segmented vase I want to make for the house. And there is Christmas coming.....
Uh oh, you sound like me, ha.

Bret
post #20 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Well I just sold all of the medium size checkerboard bowls at a locally owned home store, man the older furniture they had in there.....I was drooling......

So, out of the stave bowls now, lol, yeah, I think they would sell out fast at the trade days, I think I should be going with 50 of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode