• 2 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By Jolien Brebels

post #1 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

View Jolien Brebels's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Datsun 240Z out of wood!

Hello everyone,
I don't own a Datsun myself, but I made a wooden version of the Datsun 240Z, and I wanted to share this with you, maybe you would enjoy to see this!
If also made a video about the building process, enjoy if you want to:
Kind regards
Jolien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06023-001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	394807  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolien Brebels View Post
Hello everyone,
I don't own a Datsun myself,
datsun wooden't my style of vehicle either
nice project, well executed
post #3 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 12:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice model!

I'm diggin' the "chome" bumpers, they'll never rust...... nor will the rest of the car.
What is the scale of this model?

Throw in a quarter or coin to give us some reference of scale in your next photos.
Do you want to design cars for a career?
In another "life", I worked for 30 years at GM Design where all GM cars and trucks were designed. I made many scale models with a thermosetting plastic/wax clay. It was easy to put back a "mistake" unlike wood, once it's removed, it's off for ever. We wrapped them in a stretchy vinyl that looked like real paint and used aluminum foil with spray adhesive for the chrome parts.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work, I was deep into 260z's many years ago, I've always liked the early 240/260/280's.

Pic attached is from 1983 or 1984, that car was sold soon after as we were expecting twins....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	394809  

post #5 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Another good video and very well done project, Jolien! I especially appreciate your energy in the shop!

One note, though - you're still using gloves on the tablesaw and planer. You REALLY don't want one of those to get caught by a feed roller, the board, or anything else that will pull your hand into anything spinning. The tablesaw isn't so bad when you use push sticks properly like you're doing, though, but I would lose the gloves entirely around power tools.

David
woodnthings and Tom-G like this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2020, 03:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
FYI for the next model ......?

Since I spent so many years designing and modeling autos, I will offer this "free" advice. It's not a criticism, just information that may improve your next model car project ..... IF you decide to create another one.

Here goes.... We used to say "There are no straight lines on a car body." Well, modern car bodies, anyway. So, the sides of the car looking at it from the front or the rear at the doors will be curved away from the a ear near the door handle....or kinda cupped or platter shaped, rolling up towards the roof and down towards the rocker/sill. If you stood next to the car above with a yardstick held vertically you would immediately see this curvature.

Your model has no such curvature also known as "tumblehome" and is therefore "slab sided" which is not the way the car was designed. If you were to remove the material/wood by sanding or hand planing, from the top of the roof to the lower part of the windows and stop. Then remove material/wood from the rocker up to that stopping point in a smooth transition, you would have a more realistic looking model.

This may NOT have been your intention, so disregard this comment if that's the case.

This video will help define the typical automotive terminology:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-02-2020 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
datsun wooden't my style of vehicle either
nice project, well executed
Hahaha, no me neither. I just like to make all kind of different cars out of wood! Thank you!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I'm diggin' the "chome" bumpers, they'll never rust...... nor will the rest of the car.
What is the scale of this model?

Throw in a quarter or coin to give us some reference of scale in your next photos.
Do you want to design cars for a career?
In another "life", I worked for 30 years at GM Design where all GM cars and trucks were designed. I made many scale models with a thermosetting plastic/wax clay. It was easy to put back a "mistake" unlike wood, once it's removed, it's off for ever. We wrapped them in a stretchy vinyl that looked like real paint and used aluminum foil with spray adhesive for the chrome parts.
Haha thank you! There's a picture involved with a standard legoman!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ontwerp zonder titel (5).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	394843  

Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Nice work, I was deep into 260z's many years ago, I've always liked the early 240/260/280's.

Pic attached is from 1983 or 1984, that car was sold soon after as we were expecting twins....
Thank you! Sweet that you owned the car!
post #10 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Car-design student projects at the College for Creative Studies - Autoweek - YouTube

Since I spent so many years designing and modeling autos, I will offer this "free" advice. It's not a criticism, just information that may improve your next model car project ..... IF you decide to create another one.

Here goes.... We used to say "There are no straight lines on a car body." Well, modern car bodies, anyway. So, the sides of the car looking at it from the front or the rear at the doors will be curved away from the a ear near the door handle....or kinda cupped or platter shaped, rolling up towards the roof and down towards the rocker/sill. If you stood next to the car above with a yardstick held vertically you would immediately see this curvature.

Your model has no such curvature also known as "tumblehome" and is therefore "slab sided" which is not the way the car was designed. If you were to remove the material/wood by sanding or hand planing, from the top of the roof to the lower part of the windows and stop. Then remove material/wood from the rocker up to that stopping point in a smooth transition, you would have a more realistic looking model.

This may NOT have been your intention, so disregard this comment if that's the case.

This video will help define the typical automotive terminology:
Defining Tumblehome - Design Handbook - YouTube
Hi, thanks for your advice. I know that that is the shape of almost any car. And I added that to my car, you can see it in a step in the video, but you can't really see it that well in the picture. In real life it's much clearer.
Thanks anyways!
difalkner likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Another good video and very well done project, Jolien! I especially appreciate your energy in the shop!

One note, though - you're still using gloves on the tablesaw and planer. You REALLY don't want one of those to get caught by a feed roller, the board, or anything else that will pull your hand into anything spinning. The tablesaw isn't so bad when you use push sticks properly like you're doing, though, but I would lose the gloves entirely around power tools.

David
Thank you very much David!
When it comes to using gloves, you have two different camps that recommend something. But you're right, I could avoid them on the tablesaw.
difalkner likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolien Brebels View Post
Thank you very much David!
When it comes to using gloves, you have two different camps that recommend something. But you're right, I could avoid them on the tablesaw.
The tablesaw is probably the least of your chances to be injured because of gloves, especially given the push sticks you're using. The planer, however, is very high in the probability that a rough board will snag your glove and pull your hand into the rollers. Better a blister and splinters than to lose fingers. If there's a camp suggesting gloves around tools like the planer then my guess is it's a very small camp.

Just be safe and keep on doing the good work you're doing!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2020, 07:16 PM

View tomwilson74's Photo Album My Photos
Love the old Z cars. My buddy in the USAF had a 280. We drove that thing to Vegas and even ended up sleeping in it. Not the best sleep I ever had!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode