Custom Panel Entry Doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Russell Hudson

post #1 of 6 Old 05-01-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Custom Panel Entry Doors

They wanted two, custom panel entry doors with matching storm doors for their country home. He had taken photos of a very old Dutch (2-part) door that had an interesting panel layout. We looked at it together and amended the panel sizes a bit for a single piece door and I began planning.
Their house could see three feet of snow in winter and reach the high 90s in summer, so I needed a species of wood that was strong, would remain stable through the seasons and looked great. I chose an African mahogany known as Sepele. Below you can see the two inch thick, rough sawn planks from the mill and what they looked like after I planed the boards and exposed the faces.

We had to machine all the parts perfectly square and to the exact sizes so when assembled, all the joints would meet perfectly flush and the doors would be dead flat (Ďon planeí). Here we are doing a dry fit (without glue) to see if it will come together as planned.

We ended up creating three hundred and thirty-six pieces of this square molding to hold all the panels in place.

The doorís top half was fitted with tempered glass and the bottom, with wood panels.

Both storm doors and the main doors were mounted with very good hardware.

They wanted brass box door latches and completely hidden scissor hinges that were made in Germany. All of these had to be deeply mortised into all the doorís edges. We had to do the same for the corresponding places on the jambs (door surrounds). We constructed them of thick Sepele and made saddles (the floor pieces), as well. This is referred to as Ďpre-hungí doors.

Although the painterís tape is on the glass (they are applying the finish themselves) AND it was snowing outside, I managed to get this photo from the interior. In a few years the patina will look even better. I know they are very happy.

russell hudson / www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 AM

View jringo8769's Photo Album My Photos
Incredible work...thank u for sharing the pics too...God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Well ain't that nice. Sapele really does make for nice doors, just a shame that some people use it for how stable it can be but end up painting it. You do the brickmould as well?

-T

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 06:34 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
WOW! That was some endeavor and it looks great in the end. How long did it take you to make the two doors?

George
post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
very nice craftsmanship... how did you weatherstrip to the jamb? insulated glass panels? how flat did they stay for you?

joinery methods?

sorry for all the questions
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Russell Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
very nice craftsmanship... how did you weatherstrip to the jamb? insulated glass panels? how flat did they stay for you?

joinery methods?

sorry for all the questions
I left the weather stripping to them though I did place an attached foam strip as I didn't trust them to follow through and I started caring about the doors enough to not want them to ruin MY doors...... LOL .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode