crammed kitchen build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

View chsdiyer's Photo Album My Photos
crammed kitchen build

Inspired by Mr. Loafer and helped by many here, I decided with 4 weeks until baby due, why not build a kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000904.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	57170  

Name:	IM000926.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	57171  

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	57172  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
4 weeks!!!! Your pushing it. You going on HGTV
Renovation realities? Lol
Congrats on the upcoming baby.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

So really most of the work had been done. the last picture of our temporary kitchen is where I started a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121206_105129.jpg
Views:	1857
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	57173  

Name:	cabs.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	57174  

Name:	20121211_194646.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	57176  

Name:	20121211_215758.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	57177  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

haha, thanks dominick...I love that show. Sooo glad no one is watching me during all this! The upper cabinets and two of the lowers we had donated from the in-laws. Except the lowers were already 24" deep and we wanted inset, so I had to rip off 3/4" from the fronts of them...also the bottoms.
post #5 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Looking good.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
When was that house built? I have never seen construction like that.

George
post #7 of 31 Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM

View rrbell's Photo Album My Photos
It's an old one, you can see the lath marks on the studs where it was plastered.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 AM

View Carvel Loafer's Photo Album My Photos
Go Man Go!!!!

"Workin hard at loafin!"
post #9 of 31 Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Saw Dust Club Member

View Al B Cuttn Wud's Photo Album My Photos
If my wife came it to see that demo......labor would have been induced immediately.... I'm a kitchen redo-survivor too so the few weeks of cooking off a hot plate and getting a cold drink out of the fridge in the living room is all worth it once everything comes together. Good luck, moreso for a healthy little one.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

George, the house was built in 1839. Like rrbell said, it used to be all plaster, but at some point it was made into a duplex and they thought using 1/4" plywood (skimmed over) was a better replacement. Right before we got married was when I got some rough stairs inside. So the first year of marriage we lived upstairs and downstairs was gutted. We had the drywall up downstairs right at our first anniversairy mark. now i'm in the midst of refinishing a bit of stuff upstairs and doing the kitchen. I started rebuilding the back porch, then came to senses and got priorities straight. I have builders ADD.

So you can see my shop. I tried jointing on my table saw. Didn't proove too successful so I tried using a straightish piece of 1x6 poplar as a straight edge clamped to the board and used my circular saw to rip. The boards were pretty straight flat to start with so that helped! The joints weren't the best but I used the handplane after to try and make them better. There still not perfect but I dont think the cracks are all that noticeable.

I planned to do mitered corners, then half way through friday realized I didn't do my math right for that so i went back and got two more boards, then when we laid them out, i decided the herring bone which was perviously recommended did look kind of cool. Do we recut the boards to lenght to go with that.

I tried the boiled linseed oil and it gave a nice color. I had already ordered behlens two walnut dyes so i'm going to see how that turns out, then start the finishing process (in the dining room) I have two sections glued up now and three more to do tonight.

My dog loves the walnut. She also loves eating the shavings. Which is making her throw up. Then she lays in the planer shavings and eats that and her throw up . Man I need a shop!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121216_154505.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	57364  

Attached Images

post #11 of 31 Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Al. Yeah, all this reno is starting to get old and also has me worried about the health of wife and baby. I'm really trying to keep the place as clean as possible and get it done asap! It will be so nice when it's all done and every night and weekend isn't consumed by all this.
post #12 of 31 Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsdiyer View Post
Thanks Al. Yeah, all this reno is starting to get old and also has me worried about the health of wife and baby. I'm really trying to keep the place as clean as possible and get it done asap! It will be so nice when it's all done and every night and weekend isn't consumed by all this.
Well you know the verse that says "train up a child in the way it should go and when it is old it will not depart from it". My father was always building and renovating and it has never stopped for me either and I don't expect it ever will. My kids had a little chant whenever I finished a reno, "Let's have a celebration, no more renovation....".

But you certainly want to keep it clean for the little one. You and I certainly must have a good wives to put up with renos. Speaking of, I better do something on my kitchen this weekend, or else....

"Workin hard at loafin!"
post #13 of 31 Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
chsdiyer, looking good so far. You undertook quite a task for having only a 4 week window. I hope it comes together smoothly for you.

Carvel Loafer, I think all of us woodworkers must have patient spouses. Thank goodness for that. We know one guy who's been rebuilding his kitchen for over 2 YEARS now! They've been working out of a temporary kitchen for all of that time. And since it's set up in their living room, they've been without that room for over 2 years now too. His wife is getting REAL tired of it. I have no clue why it's taking him so long. He has no job so he's at home all day virtually every day.
post #14 of 31 Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Haha...nice chant. I'm yet to hear any chants but I'm also yet to finish a renovation. The wife certainly has been patient!

Thanks Steve. I'm definitely ready to crash. Been going to work at seven then getting home and working on the kitchen till 11-12. About 25 hours on the weekend. I really hope it turns out well but also long lasting. I don't know how long we'll be in this house but I try to make sure nothing I do will give the next owner any trouble. Got the counters oiled with watco dark walnut last night. Its feels very drynow but I guess I'm supposed to wait 3 days before top coating it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121220_215435.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	57753  

Name:	20121221_185644.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	57754  

The Following User Says Thank You to chsdiyer For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (12-22-2012)
post #15 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Sooo....for those of you who said this build would never get done in time, you were right and I thank you for your wisdom. For those who encouraged me to go for it anyway, I thank you for your encouragement. The baby came a week late and that seemed to be the theme at the time because we tried three times to order the cabinet hardware but everyone was backordered. So the picture above is about how the kitchen ended up before baby was born.

After he was born, I was able to get some of the doors and drawers mounted before going back to work. Since then we took a couple of months off from kitchen building. Decided to do some work on the back porch to screen it in for fall, but before finishing that, I got back to cabinets to get the uppers built. So the lower cabs were built with baby time crunch, and the uppers I wanted to get done in 3 weeks before my dad came in town. He'd had a bad spinal infection 1.5 years ago and hadn't been able to come see the house for a while. So I wanted to get the kitchen done before he arrived. I got all the boxes built and painted and the doors all built and painted. Hardware was in, but I found out it takes oil paint a little longer to fully cure than I thought. It ended up making the hinges sink in ever so slightly which was enough to keep the doors from closing all the way so I surrendered to give the rest time to cure. Although turns out it kind of works out because it keeps a little pressure on the doors to push out which keeps them flush with the faceframe. Anyway, enough blabble. Here are some pictures of where I am now...

I still need to get the crown molding in place and I want to build a mantel on the range hood which will be of the same style as the fireplace on the other wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130713_091631.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	75192  

Name:	20130713_091726.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	75193  

post #16 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

more pictures...i'm not sure why they're not autodisplaying
Attached Images

post #17 of 31 Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM

That is looking so nice chsdiyer!! Very impressive counter top and it contrasts so nice with the white.

Congrates on a son...

I started my kitchen long before you and you are going to finish long before me. But I do have to be 100% done before Christmas when the kids come home or my wife's patience will be a thing of the past for sure.

"Workin hard at loafin!"
post #18 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Carvel...I appreciate the complements. When i'm working on it I always think back to the pictures of your build and try to stay as organized as you were and have as clean cuts. Unfortunately I believe I fall short of that goal, but hey...I think it makes mine look like they were built yeeaaars ago which is what I was going for :) We're still trying to decide which color to paint the backsplash and island. The wife is hoping for a light teal/mint color. I'm not sure how that's gonna turn out.

Haha, I too have been saying i'm going to have this house finish by Christmas...the last 3 years. Looking forward to seeing updates of your build. Nice work on those barn-wood frames!
The Following User Says Thank You to chsdiyer For This Useful Post:
Carvel Loafer (07-18-2013)
post #19 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 03:38 PM

View gus1962's Photo Album My Photos
It is looking nice! You're done with it. You are talented. Amazingly beautiful project. Beautiful wood.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks Gus! It definitely hasn't been easy, and looks better in the pictures than up close, but we're both happy with it...especially cause it's a huge step up from what we had the 3 years prior. We also saved a ton of money building it ourselves :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode