George, the house was built in 1839. Like rrbell said, it used to be all plaster, but at some point it was made into a duplex and they thought using 1/4" plywood (skimmed over) was a better replacement
. Right before we got married was when I got some rough stairs inside. So the first year of marriage we lived upstairs and downstairs was gutted. We had the drywall up downstairs right at our first anniversairy mark. now i'm in the midst of refinishing a bit of stuff upstairs and doing the kitchen. I started rebuilding the back porch, then came to senses and got priorities straight. I have builders ADD.
So you can see my shop. I tried jointing on my table saw. Didn't proove too successful so I tried using a straightish piece of 1x6 poplar as a straight edge clamped to the board and used my circular saw to rip. The boards were pretty straight flat to start with so that helped! The joints weren't the best but I used the handplane after to try and make them better. There still not perfect but I dont think the cracks are all that noticeable.
I planned to do mitered corners, then half way through friday realized I didn't do my math right for that so i went back and got two more boards, then when we laid them out, i decided the herring bone which was perviously recommended did look kind of cool. Do we recut the boards to lenght to go with that.
I tried the boiled linseed oil and it gave a nice color. I had already ordered behlens two walnut dyes so i'm going to see how that turns out, then start the finishing process (in the dining room
) I have two sections glued up now and three more to do tonight.
My dog loves the walnut. She also loves eating the shavings. Which is making her throw up. Then she lays in the planer shavings and eats that and her throw up
. Man I need a shop!