Couple more Aquarium pieces. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Richinscarpentry.com

View Richins's Photo Album My Photos
Couple more Aquarium pieces.

I really enjoy designing and building these. Here is a couple more I finished this last month.

65g gloss black with diamond plate.

Next to a 75/90g Red Cedar piece.

Cherry stand for a 93g cube. Glass is 30 x 30 x 30

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice work! I love that diamond plate, very cool. Do you contract with a aquarium store on your stands? How is that working out for you? Again great work!

John
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 PM

View BForse's Photo Album My Photos
I really like your designs! Especially the cedar - I haven't seen too many like that.

Part of the reason I'm getting into woodworking again is to design and build my own stands/canopies. Sold my 135g and 75g setups to get me started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I agree, that cedar one looks phenomenal. The others are very nice too. Great work. Is the design of the base so that it holds the weight with ease or do you have to add supports to these tanks? Are the fronts on the tops hinged for access to the tank from the top? You do really nice work.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Richinscarpentry.com

View Richins's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
. Is the design of the base so that it holds the weight with ease or do you have to add supports to these tanks? Are the fronts on the tops hinged for access to the tank from the top? You do really nice work.
Tops are hinges for incredable ease when working in the tanks. The base support the weight very well.

I have contracts with one store to supply their floor inventory and 2 others for all of their special order pieces. I penciled another contract yesterday with a online retailer to supply all of their orders as well.

One thing I caution to anyone thinking about doing this for a living.....don't. we do about 10% of our yearly sales in these and the really don't make the money you would think. If I was the retail end it might but to wholesale its a cut throat business. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it.

The reason I do these is my love for the hobby. I'm on and have been on the presidency council of the Wasatch Marine Society for several years. www.utahreefs.com I have a 300g reef tank as well as a 180g sting ray tank with a 75 g anemone tank. (400g total)

You can see a gallery of my designs on my web site as well as an explanation of my frames on my blog. Both can be found at www.richinscarpentry.com
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM

View LGC KX5 TC's Photo Album My Photos
do you just laminate plywood together. it looks like a glue lamb beam almost. i have wanted to get a fish tank for my house but its kind of an expensive thing to get into. so if i could make the stand myself that would help, but i was always worried if i built it myself i would come home to a tank on the floor due to the weight.

you being in utah also where is the best place to get all the stuff i need. i want to do salt water, but the only place i know of is "The Aquarium" on 7th east and 90th south in sandy.

any help or info you have would be awesome.

PS you can pm me if you want so we don't take over your thread here because after all it is here to show off your awesome tank stands.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 AM

View alang's Photo Album My Photos
As always, stands look fantastic!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM

View california's Photo Album My Photos
love that diamond plate looks nice
post #9 of 9 Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

View SargeVN's Photo Album My Photos
Those are nice.... I wondered where the step bumper on my truck went.. :))

Woodworker's Guild of Georgia...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode