Woodworking Talk banner

A couple carved bowls (and pendants from the scrap)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  firehawkmph 
#1 ·
I don't post in the project section very often, for a few reasons. I am more of an observer I guess (you guys do great work) and for some reason I feel I need to tell ''the story'' behind most of my stuff, not just show pictures. slatron25 made a post in the turning section showing some nice pendants...and it got me thinking I made a couple of those last week, might as well show them and the bowls that where part of their making.

I actually started this redbud burl bowl 2+ years ago, put it on the shelf and forgot about it until I was working on another bowl, so I finished them the same day. (old pictures from when I first carved it)

The wood really darkened as it aged, 1/2 forgotten on the shelf, especially the sapwood. I was mortified by the waste involved in carving (all that pretty wood in chips on the floor) So I made some pendants like in the picture from the wood removed to make the bowl.

Camera phone :thumbdown:

How the cherry bowl (and hopefully more little things) started out. A piece of bucked log from a firewood pile, the guy said it had been there 5-6 years.

It was really busted up inside, couldn't figure out how to ever mill it or turn anything on the lathe from it (been kicking it around 4-5 years here myself). So I decided why not just split it and hope to salvage something usable ?

I trimmed/massaged/buffed one of the pieces into a bowl-like object that suits me.

Here is the bottom.

And made another pendant from the scrap (kinda getting into making pendants for whatever reason, made several the last few days)

Still camera phone :thumbdown:

Well, I did it again, got long winded instead of just show pictures...Back to the shop to finish planing some maple for my next project...Ugly stuff, bugs got into it and the grain is a mess

:shifty:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.