Coat tree - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By zlwrhlmt
  • 2 Post By zlwrhlmt

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Matt

View zlwrhlmt's Photo Album My Photos
Coat tree

This feels out of place after looking through several of the other projects on display.
It's not very detailed or anything, but it'll hold up a few coats.

Next is a bookshelf, which is teaching me that my work space is too small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.png
Views:	17
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	388641  

difalkner and John Smith_inFL like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2020, 10:40 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
You are on your way. The more you make, the better you will get at it. Don't give up.

Woodworking and perfecting your skills is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip.

We all started with simple projects and worked up from there. Coat trees and book cases are a good beginning. The coat tree looks pretty good to me, but I would have used slightly smaller dowels. To me, they just look too big, but they should work fine. We refine our tastes as we progress. I'm looking forward to your next project photos. Thanks for posting.

Charley
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2020, 11:49 PM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Any project that you feel is worth showing is a good project.
Even Norm Abrahams started by sweeping the floor.

But from a practical point of view, I think the bottom cross pieces are not wide enough for the height. 2 or three coats on one side will tip it over.
Wider or heavier will make it safer to use.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Matt

View zlwrhlmt's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
You are on your way. The more you make, the better you will get at it. Don't give up.

Woodworking and perfecting your skills is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip.

We all started with simple projects and worked up from there. Coat trees and book cases are a good beginning. The coat tree looks pretty good to me, but I would have used slightly smaller dowels. To me, they just look too big, but they should work fine. We refine our tastes as we progress. I'm looking forward to your next project photos. Thanks for posting.

Charley
The trip is why I started a few years ago, for various reasons. Sometimes it feels like I should be farther along, but I also know how much time I'm able to put into this with everything else in life. There may be several months that go by before I'm really able to do much work on anything.

I agree that the dowels are big. At the time I was worried about them snapping from the weight of the coats. I would be surprised if these did. The dowels also took a surprising amount of time to make, until I decided to turn my plane upside down and use it like a vegetable slicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
Any project that you feel is worth showing is a good project.
Even Norm Abrahams started by sweeping the floor.

But from a practical point of view, I think the bottom cross pieces are not wide enough for the height. 2 or three coats on one side will tip it over.
Wider or heavier will make it safer to use.
These are good points regarding safety/engineering.

The base pieces are ~20.5" long. The top dowels end before the base pieces do so the coats are still over the base. I did a crude center of gravity estimate of the empty unit and it's ~6" above the little vertical "supports" coming up from the base. The empty unit is solid mahogany and weighs ~16.5 lbm.

There were three coats on the wall before I made the tree. Two are just raincoats, but the black one is a smaller Carhartt jacket. I put all three on the same side, with the two heavier coats on top and gave the unit a bump to simulate (me) accidentally shouldering it, and it did wobble slightly but didn't tip. Right now the three coats are all on the same half but different dowels, with no signs of instability.
John Smith_inFL and CharleyL like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode