Cigar Humidor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Cigar Humidor

Ok guys, here are the photos of my completed cigar humidor. This is my second humidor so far. It is made of Sapele with Spalted Poplar top and bottom. The miter splines, handles and internal lid trim are Padauk and the internal liner and tray are Spanish Cedar. I really like the look of the Sapele. I will definately use it on future projects. I used a resawing technique so that the grain around all 4 sides is contiluous and matches up at all 4 corners.

Name:  IMG_0543s.JPG
Views: 2102
Size:  91.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0544s.JPG
Views: 1633
Size:  89.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0545s.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  46.4 KB

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Ken Johnson; 09-28-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM

View Conner's Photo Album My Photos
That looks great Ken. I'm sure you already know the trick about making a humidifier device out of green floral arrangement foam. If you soak the foam in a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propylene glycol you will get the right humidity inside your humidor. But as I said, I'm sure you already know that!
post #3 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner View Post
That looks great Ken. I'm sure you already know the trick about making a humidifier device out of green floral arrangement foam. If you soak the foam in a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propylene glycol you will get the right humidity inside your humidor. But as I said, I'm sure you already know that!
Yes, I already knew that. However, I bought an Oasis active humidification unit. It is really cool.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice Job.
Almost makes me want to take up cigar smoking. I 'm good for about one cigar a year on a very special occasion. Like sitting around a campfire at my buddy's fishing cabin, drinkin the neighbors moonshine, washing it down with some Sam Adam Octoberfest beer, and eating some brats cooked over the open fire. Doesn't get much better.....
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Very nice Job.
Almost makes me want to take up cigar smoking. I 'm good for about one cigar a year on a very special occasion. Like sitting around a campfire at my buddy's fishing cabin, drinkin the neighbors moonshine, washing it down with some Sam Adam Octoberfest beer, and eating some brats cooked over the open fire. Doesn't get much better.....
Mike Hawkins
Mike,

What is your "special occasion" cigar of choice? I always keep a few Fuente Fuente Opus X cigars in my humidor for special occasions.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #6 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Blue Ribbon

Hey guys,

I entered my humidor in the woodworking competition of the Manheim, PA farm show and it took a first-place ribbon!

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #7 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 01:44 PM

View Conner's Photo Album My Photos
That's great, congratulations!
post #8 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Good job!

I would LOVE to build a copy of my grandfathers smoking table / humidor... I will smoke a cigar of special occasions as well...

My current favorite is the Punch Gran Puro Rancho. For a cigar that is as easy to get as the Punch is, they are nice & smooth, especially with brandy...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #9 of 17 Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM

View Saleen4971's Photo Album My Photos
great looking humidor! i have an oasis active humidifier in my purchased humidor.

i built myself one out of mahogany, but haven't finished it due to the cost of spanish cedar
post #10 of 17 Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
great looking humidor! i have an oasis active humidifier in my purchased humidor.

i built myself one out of mahogany, but haven't finished it due to the cost of spanish cedar
I think I spent about $25 on two large pieces of 4/4 spanish cedar and I had plenty left over. I bought it at a local hardwood lumber yard. You may want to check ebay for some spanish cedar. I'll bet you can find a good deal.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #11 of 17 Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Great looking humidor. The sapele with spalted poplar are a great choice. Very good job and congrats on the first place ribbon. Red

Red
post #12 of 17 Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, looks great. Funny I just built a box from Walnut and spalted poplar. That poplar is beautiful...........Here is a pic of the one I built, we seam to have the same taste........

post #13 of 17 Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1778 View Post
Wow, looks great. Funny I just built a box from Walnut and spalted poplar. That poplar is beautiful...........Here is a pic of the one I built, we seam to have the same taste........
Nate,

Very nice box. I love the top and the splines. I wish I jad made my splines out of the poplar so they would stand out more. The padauk is a beautiful orange but it doesn't stand out because it is a similar shade in comparrison to the sapele. Now I know for next time. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #14 of 17 Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM

View Saleen4971's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Johnson View Post
I think I spent about $25 on two large pieces of 4/4 spanish cedar and I had plenty left over. I bought it at a local hardwood lumber yard. You may want to check ebay for some spanish cedar. I'll bet you can find a good deal.
really? i tried to find Spanish cedar near me on long island, but nobody had any. and even then i was afraid it may not be very good quality. most places i see online are like $80 for a sheet!!
post #15 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Ken, what was your procedure for putting the cedar in the box. The one I built was a nightstand box but I need to build a new humidor, or more humidors if I needed to be honest about it. Did you cut the bottom piece of cedar and glue it in the box, then the sides? I have even thought about laminating my cedar to all my box woof before construction and then build the box.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1778 View Post
Ken, what was your procedure for putting the cedar in the box. The one I built was a nightstand box but I need to build a new humidor, or more humidors if I needed to be honest about it. Did you cut the bottom piece of cedar and glue it in the box, then the sides? I have even thought about laminating my cedar to all my box woof before construction and then build the box.
The bottom piece is cut about 1/8" undersize and just laid in place. The 4 sides are mitered and cut to fit snug. I do not glue or screw them in place so they can respond to expansion as they absorb moisture. The sides will cover the gap between the bottom piece and the sides of the box. I then cut two pieces for along the sides that are also pressed into place. They only serve to support the removable shelf.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #17 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
really? i tried to find Spanish cedar near me on long island, but nobody had any. and even then i was afraid it may not be very good quality. most places i see online are like $80 for a sheet!!
Spanish Cedar by the sheet? Uh. Never heard of...

Take a look at Ebay. Plenty of Spanish Cedar to be had there... Prices aren't awful, but shipping kind of hurts... You will have to do some resawing, which can be done on a Table Saw, or a band saw...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode