Woodworking Talk banner

Bucket trucks

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikhail2400 
#1 ·
Anyone remember me working on these?
They ended up being a real pain.
Dug them out a few weeks ago and finished them.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
People who make these trucks just amaze me and I am jealous of the talent y'all have.

My BIL used to put up the high rise signs you see on the interstate. He got a weekend job painting a smokestack about 4' across and a little over 100' tall. He called me and off we went. He operated the crane and I painted the stack. They wanted it painted silver so I used a 6" brush. Starting from the top I painted half the stack and then back up to paint the other half. In about two hours we were headed back to Nashville with $300 in our pockets. That was a lot of money back in the day. Come to think of it, it still is.

#10 ·
bucket truk

I just completed one like that. I made it for my daughter who works for First Energy Power Co. She wanted it to set on her desk at work. Did you use a Toys and Joys plan? If you did I can understand why you said it was a pain. Their plans have a lot to be desired. I had to add a lot of my own expertise on it. I still love building toys and models. That's about all I can do now sense I have all of these failing health issues.

#11 ·
Your trucks look great. I saw plans for things like that but have never really checked into it other than to see you can buy alot of the smaller parts. If you dont mind my asking can you give a round about price on the material cost to build one of them? Not positive I want to do one but it does interest me.

#12 ·
Yes it was a t&j plan. Most of their plans are alright this one seemed to leave out a few things.
Materials cost is tough. Are you making your own wheels or buying them?
I buy wheels,axle pegs,dowels and other parts in bigger quantities.
Best guess for me would be 25 dollars. Plan was 17 dollars.
Price could be alot more depending on where and how many parts you buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.