Bubinga & Bloodwood D&D dice box and tray with custom koi fish inlay - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 11Likes
  • 6 Post By Eric Farley
  • 1 Post By Eric Farley
  • 1 Post By WeebyWoodWorker
  • 2 Post By Eric Farley
  • 1 Post By Eric Farley

post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

View Eric Farley's Photo Album My Photos
Bubinga & Bloodwood D&D dice box and tray with custom koi fish inlay

Inspired by the talented people at Wyrmwood I wanted to make myself a box to hold my dice & mini for d&d games as well as a box to roll my dice. I choose a solid piece of bubinga for the main body of the character vault with bloodwood trim. I inlayed a mixture of walnut, bloodwood, birch(?), and three additional mystery woods for the koi, I used sand shading to add some depth, then inlayed Sterling Silver and Jet Stone for the line work. The Dice tray was made from bloodwood and lined with a piece of leather hide. This was my second project (the first was this similar [walnut box]) after having not done anything with wood in over 10 years, the end result was so much better than I anticipated when I started. I'd love to hear feedback from you more experienced folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191013_104419_445.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	379681  

Name:	IMG_20191013_104419_435.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	379683  

Name:	IMG_20191013_104419_443.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	379685  

Name:	IMG_20191013_104419_438.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	379687  

Name:	IMG_20191013_104419_433.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	379689  

MLP, Alchymist, mjadams61 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice, Eric! Good choice of woods and the inlay looks nice. I like the sand shading. Is there a finish on the box? Good job!

David

PS - you still need to add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I just finished it with a coat of Tung Oil to bring out the natural character of the woods.
difalkner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Lordie! That some very nice inlay there mate! All of my friends play D and D and have asked me for dice boxes or other accessories before, mainly they just want me to play a campaign with them.

Also very nice to see more Oregon people on here!

-T
mjadams61 likes this.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 08:31 AM

View landman's Photo Album My Photos
I think the more experienced folks have a lot to learn from you. That box is sensational!

Regards, Pat
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebyWoodWorker View Post
Lordie! That some very nice inlay there mate! All of my friends play D and D and have asked me for dice boxes or other accessories before, mainly they just want me to play a campaign with them.

Also very nice to see more Oregon people on here!

-T
Thanks! Fine wood accessories just add something to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
I think the more experienced folks have a lot to learn from you. That box is sensational!
Thank you, that's very flattering!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I realized I probably should have included what tools/techniques I used for this since I imagine people find that kind of stuff interesting, so here we go!

All of the woodworking was done with basic Ryobi shop tools (table saw, band saw (made by Wen, the only tool not from Ryobi), belt sander, drill press and a miter saw). I drew the inlay using a digital tablet and converted it to vector graphics so I could use an old Anet A8 3D printer I had converted into a laser etcher/cutter to cut the inlay pieces from veneer I had laying around, I also used it to burn an inset region to glue the inlay into the bubinga. I used powdered silver and stone, with CA glue to inlay the line work. Finally the box was finished with a coat of Tung Oil to bring out the woods natural character. Most of these advanced inlay techniques I learned from watching videos Wrymwood posted on Youtube showing their process and the basics I learned from my dad when I was growing up as well as watching tutorials from YouTubers such as Steve Ramsey and Jay Bates, look them up, they're great resources!.
difalkner and Kerrys like this.

Last edited by Eric Farley; 10-14-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 PM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
WOW Thank you Eric :). And the reason I am thanking you is because I had a stroke back in 2014 and lost a bit of my long term memory. I use to play Chainmail where D&D copy quite a few of their rules from. I had to call my sister and ask her if I ever did because I remember but it could had been a false memory. Chainmail was created back in 1971 and in 1974 a few kids in school started a club and I was a member :)

Marlin
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
WOW Thank you Eric :). And the reason I am thanking you is because I had a stroke back in 2014 and lost a bit of my long term memory. I use to play Chainmail where D&D copy quite a few of their rules from. I had to call my sister and ask her if I ever did because I remember but it could had been a false memory. Chainmail was created back in 1971 and in 1974 a few kids in school started a club and I was a member :)
That's a great memory! So glad to hear I could help remind you of something from your youth
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode