Bow build failure, but learned alot. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

View PhilipCollier's Photo Album My Photos
I have been working on a bow for several months. It was my first attempt and all my info came from youtube videos on the making of it. Going for a 6' long bow and taking my time. Started with 10' oak 3 x 4 beam. I picked the one that had the straightest grain.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140205_214808.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  54.7 KB

Ran it through a table saw and rough shaped it with jigsaw and a sander.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140205_214926.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  19.4 KB

Tillered it, sanded it down a bit at a time. I had it almost perfect.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140205_215142.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140205_215200.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  25.3 KB

Tonight I had the final bow string on it. Fired an arrow, dang thing must have had a 100 lbs pull on it, but it worked and was accurate. Took it in to show wife before I put a really nice finish on it. Pulled back and it sounded like a gun shot when it flew apart.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140205_215611.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  40.5 KB

I learned quite a bit from this experience. First I learned NOT to show the wife! Seriously I did learn alot to help with my next attempt, which I will start when I get over my depression. It was beautiful up until tonight. Once I get one made Ill post it.

Last edited by PhilipCollier; 02-05-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Man, sorry to hear about the failure, but my advice is to put that out of the mind, and just remember the awesomeness of the first pull and resulting shot. Harness that and make a better 2.0 version. Be sure to post it here too!!!

Ut Prosim
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know a lot about making a bow....but oak wouldn't have been my first choice in wood selection.....have you considered hickory for bow?

Another thought.....can you salvage the limbs and attach them to a new riser?

The tools don't make the craftsman....

Last edited by ryan50hrl; 02-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

The choice woods are yew and osage orange. Oak was mentioned as a good first bow wood. Wouldnt last as long as yew but easier to work with in the tillering process. Hickory would also fall into the good first bow wood catagory.

Good thought on attaching limbs to new riser but the one side split too far along the grain to use.

Last edited by PhilipCollier; 02-06-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM

View bschiltz's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking bow, great for a first time! Black locust is also a good wood for making bows. When you are making a "self bow", which is a one piece bow with no lamination, you must orient the grain laterally across the limbs. On the front face of the limbs (facing away from you when you hold and draw the bow) you need to "chase a ring" for the entire length, which means cutting down to one growth ring and following that ring the entire length of the the bow.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
If you're making 1 piece long bows, yew is the wood of choice. There was recently another thread about splitting the wood radially along/from (wasn't clear to me which) the grain, rather than cutting it. Makes for a much stronger and longer-lasting bow. I seem to remember something from a long time ago about boiling it as well... but that may just be me mixing in fiction from books I've read. Worth looking into though.

Have to say, it was a fine looking first piece you built. Let us know how the second attempt works out.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You need to split the wood from the bolt, not saw it. This will give you continuous running grain, not areas with cross grain that will break under stress. Some bows are often laminated with a few thin strips. This helps share the stress so there is less chance of complete failure. Even the best wood bows are subject to breaking, eventually.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM

View bschiltz's Photo Album My Photos
frankp, when making a recurve bow the tips are boiled or steamed to make them pliable then clamped in a curved form to make the recurve, this might be what you are thinking of.

PC, you said you watched some videos on youtube so I'm not sure if you saw this one, but it is the best video I've found on making a selfbow. There are three parts and he walks you through all the steps very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to bschiltz For This Useful Post:
frankp (02-06-2014)
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise all. Will definately watch that video....bound and determined to get a bow made.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2014, 06:00 PM

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
We should honestly have a lot more threads like this - what a great opportunity for all of us to learn.

Thanks for sharing

Curtis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode