Art? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

View xtimgx's Photo Album My Photos
Art?

Figured I'd post a pic of a piece I did a while ago under an apprenticeship. It was fun to do and interesting to say the least. This a repeating module of a type of "tear drop" with a 45" cut somewhat symmetrically into the tops. Inspiration for it was order and chaos. Love or hate, let me know.

Close up:

-Tim G

Last edited by xtimgx; 06-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that hurts my eye. Very nice work. Looks awesome.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #3 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I'm glad the chaos came through more than the order. I think there's just enough order to "keep it in line."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 AM
HALL OF FAMER

I'm wondering if the particle board in the background is part of the piece or is that what the piece was sitting on when you took the photo? Not a fan of the particle board look, but like I said, the rest looks awesome. Care to explain the process of how you made the pieces in a little more detail?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #5 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
I like the texture. Whether or not one considers it art is subjective, or in the eye of the beholder. I've see a lot of "art" that isn't, IMHO.

I would not call your work here "art", I'd call it "craft". Is that fair? But I do like it. I experiment with textures also.

Bret
The Following User Says Thank You to Lola Ranch For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #6 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I like it also. It had to be a tedious undertaking to assemble, no less making all the pieces. Looks good...I call it artsy and crafty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
I'm wondering if the particle board in the background is part of the piece or is that what the piece was sitting on when you took the photo? Not a fan of the particle board look, but like I said, the rest looks awesome.
Actually, the board isn't particle board. It looks like OSB...oriented strand board, AKA Aspenite.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (06-18-2011), xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #7 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I like it too. I would say art as it doesn't necessarily have function other than to stimulate the mind with visual interest.

I think you should name it "Society". It represents to me, following with your order/chaos theme, the nucleus of society; order, surrounded by the chaos elements of society. Chaos seems to gravitate to order in order to try to disrupt it, thus the heliocentric positioning of chaos around order.

It also makes me hungry for almond slices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACP For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (06-18-2011), xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #8 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
It is fascinating. I enjoy it.
It doesn't matter whether it's called "art" or "craft". As long as it stimulates interest and thought, it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Nice work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Howe For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-18-2011)
post #9 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Loving the input guys and I agree completely with the demeanor that art shouldn't be stated as such. I think it's more of a trigger word that any loon can use to push themselves. As I was told, you aren't an artist until tells you so and is willing to pay handsome sums for such things.

Kenbo, the good news is that the particle/OSB is what is holding it up. That is not part of the piece as that would be horrendous to view.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 PM

View A-Ron's Photo Album My Photos
Art or not, I think it's a pretty amazing creation.
The Following User Says Thank You to A-Ron For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-19-2011)
post #11 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 PM

View jaxonquad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo
Care to explain the process of how you made the pieces in a little more detail?
Common now, don't keep it a secret.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaxonquad For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-19-2011)
post #12 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Of course it's Art

Take it from a former Design Instructor with a MFA and 30 years in the automotive Design field .....that there is Art. It's creative, it's an assembly of forms, repetitive elements, colors, textures and the play of light creating shadows and highlights is not different than a painting. I would call it a collage and have made similar pieces myself. Very nice work. I agree...ditch the OSB! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-19-2011)
post #13 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Take it from a former Design Instructor with a MFA and 30 years in the automotive Design field .....that there is Art. It's creative, it's an assembly of forms, repetitive elements, colors, textures and the play of light creating shadows and highlights is not different than a painting. I would call it a collage and have made similar pieces myself. Very nice work. I agree...ditch the OSB! bill
Does having a MFA and worked as a design instructor mean that your opinion is more correct than say an ordinary dude like me, or any ordinary person that can conjure an opinion? I'm wondering...how about high school dropouts...can they have an opinion?

I'm thinkin', that if the artist "ditched" the OSB, and used what you would like, would that piece still represent what the artist intended in creating that work?

IMO, whether I like the OSB or not is inconsequential to how the piece appears.. I look at it as an entirety. The piece seemed to portray an "integration" of sorts, representative of how small parts can become a big part, so to speak. So, maybe the "pieces" of the OSB appealed in this endeavor as a suitable background.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
xtimgx (06-19-2011)
post #14 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Interesting thoughts indeed but I have to reiterate that this was not the intended aesthetic since the OSB isn't part of the piece. This piece was placed inside of a shipping crate to go to Doha, Qatar.

As for the actual creation process, it was relatively simple. The worst part is the tedious patience one must have to do this. I created a type of template with a tear drop shape. After cutting the rough shape, I used a belt/radial sander combo to shape the tear cleanly. Now I have a chunk of wood that looks like a tear. From the base of the bottom of the tear drop, I measured up the side to create the bottom of the top angles you see. Very simple, I cut "roofs" into each piece. I actually did that with the belt sander by hand just holding them. It wasn't scientific entirely but gave uniqueness to each piece. They were glued on in order in the center.

Those were placed on top of a large wooden platter, the kind you can buy at Lowes and such. The "random" pieces are not that random. They were actually carefully thought out and placed in order to get the piece to feel right. This is not stained as it was going to a Middle Eastern country and they are not fond of stain or colors to affect the grain or so the art agent says... Regardless, I can answer anymore construction questions if you have them.
The Following User Says Thank You to xtimgx For This Useful Post:
jaxonquad (06-19-2011)
post #15 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Hope this helps somewhat to get a clearer picture.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Interesting thoughts and I like the mosaic thought, makes sense. While I appreciate the thoughts in your experience, I do think different on the concepts of art. Art is far too academic and trendy to get a true consensus on it. Using the word spews about too much academia in what is truly considered art. I look at Salvador Dali and say that is art but perhaps you feel Gustave Dore is art, the subjectivity is prevalent.

Being fresh out of college, I disagree with most of the academic thoughts that go along with art. Many believe that art can only be truly examined by those with academic roots. I am not directing this to you but just towards the field itself. I have many friends in art schools, some decent ones too, and they find themselves looking at things with a sense of "knowledge" if you will. Can this knowledge be true if you are only trying to get a 4.0 GPA and listen to only what the professor says and then spew the information? It's similar to a parrot complex where someone before us told us how it should be and we believe it.

I hope this isn't too incoherent as I just woke up and am probably still dreaming.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Does having a MFA and worked as a design instructor mean that your opinion is more correct than say an ordinary dude like me, or any ordinary person that can conjure an opinion? I'm wondering...how about high school dropouts...can they have an opinion?

I'm thinkin', that if the artist "ditched" the OSB, and used what you would like, would that piece still represent what the artist intended in creating that work?

IMO, whether I like the OSB or not is inconsequential to how the piece appears.. I look at it as an entirety. The piece seemed to portray an "integration" of sorts, representative of how small parts can become a big part, so to speak. So, maybe the "pieces" of the OSB appealed in this endeavor as a suitable background.

Happy Father Day to you too. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. Some turn out some turn in. You're welcome to any opinion you want, just don't criticize me for mine. bill
BTW I stand by my academic and professional credentials and experience. I've probably had to make more asthetic/artistic decisions than most folks and therefore my "opinion" is weighted in that regard.
Take it or leave it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-19-2011 at 11:58 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Old School

Quote:
Opinions are like belly bettons, everyone has one. Some turn out some turn in. You're welcome to any opinion you want, just don't criticism me for mine.
No need to get defensive. What I said was...

which was my opinion of a suggestion to "ditch" the OSB. So in actuality, you are criticizing my opinion. Now...I don't get ruffled about that. But, with your "Design Instructor's" background, I would expect that your suggestion to students might offer the latitude of opinion in what changes to a piece of work would mean to both the artist, and the viewer.

Quote:
BTW I stand by my academic and professional credentials and experience. I've probably had to make more asthetic/artistic decisions than most folks and therefore my "opinion" is weighted in that regard.
You're entitled to your opinion of your opinion.
BTW...Almost forgot...CLICK HERE.

post #19 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM
HALL OF FAMER

Thanks for the explanation xtimgx. It sounds like it was a tedious process that takes forever. Probably would have driven me nuts. I stand by my original comments that this piece is awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode