Another Alternative Method Jewelry Chest build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 100 Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Another Alternative Method Jewelry Chest build

So the new Grizzly G0555P arrived and I have it set up and working,

I put the mobile base under it yesterday and even I can move this 200 pound machine around the shed with one hand.

This thing has a huge DC port on the back, but a little Irish Engineering and it connects to the shop vac just fine.

I still need to get the riser kit installed, (not a job I can handle alone) but I'm in a bit of a hurry to build two Jewelry chests in time to get them shipped to my Grand Daughters up in Fort Campbell KY.

Since I'll be making both of the chests alike and building the same one as Kenbo and Longknife already did (the tall one not the slanted one), and because I got myself a new camera, I figured it do a write up on it. Just stop me if you've had enough of these and I'll quit....

So I went to a local supplier and picked out a couple of 8/4 sticks of Walnut.

Those boards with the blue ends are them. $150.00 worth of wood seems very expensive just to cut into pieces...I may have bought too much, but then again this is my first time buying rough lumber as I'll be resawing these on the band saw. Also the selection of S4S at Lowes and HD is very limited. If I have any left over, I still have some things I need to get done for presents.

So tomorrow I'll get started cleaning up the shed and cutting some wood.

The piece on the work top cut from the white wood is the final candle holder I'm making this year and the first curved cut off the new saw. Its extremely rough on the cut edge. Maybe I'll try those timble wolf blades and see if I can get a smoother finish cut. But that won't be until I get the riser installed on the BS.

Remember, if you have had enough of this, just tell me to stop and I'll quit.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-02-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
compare this price on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodworking-...item43ab4ac7ce

Good? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Considering Grizzly doesn't have that blade listed and they are the only ones that I've looked it, that is a very good price.

The seller is away until the 3rd, so I couldn't get them here until the middle of next week . I will be ordering at least one to try it. That will give me time to finish up that last candle holder before starting a new project.

Thanks bill.

I've made a few videos

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-02-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Saw looks nice-"$150. seems too nice to cut into pieces" I know-cutting up that nice wood seems almost a sin-but I doubt if they would like getting a board for christmas and they would be kind of spendy to ship.
post #5 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1950 View Post
Saw looks nice-"$150. seems too nice to cut into pieces" I know-cutting up that nice wood seems almost a sin-but I doubt if they would like getting a board for christmas and they would be kind of spendy to ship.
I know what you mean Mike. The daughter who will be getting the last candle holder was here when the saw arrived. Her husband helped to get the big box into the shed and she saw the piece when it was nothing more than two boards glued together and clamped to cure. Her comment when I told her it was her present was "Dad, that's just two boards!"

I've made a few videos
post #6 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
For starters Johnnie, I'm not tired of these builds and I am looking forward to seeing you pictures and following along with your project. Secondly, I know that $150 seems like a lot when it comes to boards, but look at it this way........I bought my bandsaw years ago and I paid attention to how many boards I resawed and what the big box stores were charging per board foot. Let me tell you this. Those $150 boards would cost you 4-5 times that at one of the big box stores. My saw practically paid for itself in no time. Looking forward to the project man. Gonna be a good one.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-02-2011)
post #7 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Nice saw, Johnnie. I wish mine was that nice. I, for one, am NOT tired of build threads. In fact, I really enjoy them. Bring it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1950 View Post
... but I doubt if they would like getting a board for christmas and they would be kind of spendy to ship.
Well, I would like getting boards for Christmas. Just saying. Let me know if you need my shipping address.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
frankp (12-02-2011), johnnie52 (12-02-2011)
post #8 of 100 Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
I never get tired of these types of posts.
Great tutorials and reminders that we all face the same issues.

Thanks for taking the time for us, Johnnie

Learning more about tools everyday
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-02-2011)
post #9 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Kenbo, not only would the lumber cost $23.00 a foot in the big boxes instead of $10.50 a BF at the supplier, I could have gotten Oak, Poplar, Aspen or Pine... period! They don't carry Walnut, which is what I'm using for these builds.

Speaking of builds, today started out terribly. They delivered the wife's new dryer yesterday and were supposed to fully instal it for us. We discovered that they only plugged it in and half way connected the vent. So I found myself at HD getting a new vent pipe because the delivery person made a terrible mess of things. Came home and fixed the vent, leveled the machine so it doesn't try to walk around the room and ran a circulation test. All this was done in accordance with the machine's manual. The test came back showing a blocked vent, which I know to be false as I replaced everything from the outside hood to the back of the dryer.

I spent the next hour on the phone with the tech support guy pushing buttons and telling him nothing had changed. What ever happened to the good old days ... plug it in, push the go button and forget about it... This thing has more buttons than the space shuttle and it makes all sorts of beeping sounds... Sheesh! They are sending a tech to look at it next week...

Anyhow, at about 2:30 PM I finally got out to the shop. Pulled my pretty new Porter Cable 6" jointer onto the outside deck,

Hooked up the vacuum hoses to the shop vac,

Checked the Fence to be sure it was set to 90 degrees,

and began shoving Walnut through the spinning blades.

What started out looking like this...

quickly became a very nice smooth edge,

and it is even square!

So far so good. It only took about five passes at the shallowest cut setting to get to this point.

Now I moved to the car port and set up for some cuts at the Table Saw.

First I checked that my thin kerf rip blade was properly installed to the saw, verified a 90 degree angle to the table and set the blade height to take a high cut. The blade was set higher than I'm showing. It was actually high enough to have the teeth coming down onto the board instead of going into it at a low angle.

I then set my rip fence to six inches and verified that at the blade manually using my favorite folding rule. Once I was happy with all my settings, I ran the board though cutting it down to six inches from the seven and an eight that it was from the supplier.

I gotta tell you guys, this Freud Diablo 24 tooth thin kerf blade cuts like a hot knife through warm butter!

My plan was to make a couple of cuts through the 8/4 board and then finish the resaw at the band saw... but... as it turned out, I was able to completely resaw the six inch thickness at the table saw! This left me with two boards, 59 inches long by 5/8" thick and a third board that was 59 inches long by 29/64's thick.

Always remember to wear those ear protectors!

This is all that is left of that single 8/4 piece after jointing an edge, and ripping to a six inch width, then resawing to 5/8 thickness.

You can see that I have a strange shaped piece that came from the unjointed edge. I won't waste it as I have plans for that piece in these builds.

I've made a few videos

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-03-2011 at 01:09 AM.
post #10 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

As long as I was at the table saw, I decided to cut the plywood panel for the back, the ring holder and the drawer bottoms. I changed to my 200 tooth plywood blade, Got my panel sled off its wall hooks, verified a 90 degree blade angle, and double checked that the sled was square to the blade. Its been about a year since I last used the sled and its been hanging on the carport wall all that time.

To my delight, the sled was perfect! So I marked my 24x48x1/4 Oak plywood sheet for a 24 inch cutoff,

Then, using the sled to carry the sheet of plywood, I cut the sheet into two 24x24 pieces. I then repeated the process to cut one of the 24x24 pieces down to 12x24.

Three benefits of using the sled are:'
1. It is much easier and safer to push a sheet of plywood through the saw.
2. I only need to make a small mark where I want the cut rather than trying to draw a straight line the entire length of the sheet!
3. I always end up with nice square corners!

And that plywood blade leaves a near perfect cut with no tear out. The tear out in the photo above came from Lowes! They can't make as clean of a cut as I can!

So, with all the cuts made for today on the carport, its back out to the shed I go. I rearrange the machines, moving my jointer out of the way and rolling my thickness planner out. At this point I decided that a full 1/2 inch seemed just a little too thick for this project. So I planned things down to a uniform thickness just over 7/16". I ended up somewhere in between 1/2 and 7/16 inches.

So, as the sun began to set in the Florida skies, I moved the machines back into the shed, carefully stickered my freshly cut pieces,

Cleaned up and shut down for the day. Tomorrow I plan to work on the last candle holder so I can move that off of the shop bench and onto the carport for finishing. That should give me room to assemble the chests.

I've made a few videos

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-03-2011 at 01:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnnie52 For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (12-03-2011), tcleve4911 (12-03-2011), woodnthings (12-03-2011)
post #11 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Wow Johnnie, I'm just catching up - you are tearing through this! Awesome start and you've got yourself one heck of a nice mobile shop there! I'm planning to build one of these for my daughter (hopefully for her February birthday) so I'm looking forward to some learnin'!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #12 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 AM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
I love these threads. Keep it coming, please. Isn't it great when you smooth a piece of rough cut and see what's underneath?

Sorry to hear about the dryer. What did happen the a knob with three settings, a timer and a start button? They seemed to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #13 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
Nice start! I'll be following this closely. As you are making two of them, are you making the pieces for both or do you finish one and then start on the other?
The Following User Says Thank You to Longknife For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #14 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Longknife,

The plan is to make them both together so they can be shipped in time for Christmas along with the candle holder I've already made for their mother and a toy monster truck for their 2 year old brother. I'll be happy if they are finished by the end of this week. Right now my biggest dilemma is how to make the different enough so the girls don't have any issues about which one belongs to which girl. Pre-teen girls can drive a person nutz!

I've made a few videos
post #15 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
Right now my biggest dilemma is how to make the different enough so the girls don't have any issues about which one belongs to which girl. Pre-teen girls can drive a person nutz!
You might do that with an inlay like Frank is doing on his? Perhaps there is something that each of them likes or an initial? Could use some other decorative inlay to distinguish them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #16 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe

View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
Great job !!! keep it posting and Ill keep it read...lol. btw...did I miss something?...what lottery did you hit?
new BS and joiner(the two things I need most) the jealousy is almost overwhelming..........

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
The Following User Says Thank You to lawrence For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #17 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Two things, Johnnie. First of all I like your planer stand.

Secondly, I feel the urge to comment about how impressed I am with the fact that you are able to do so much with the rather limited amount of space you have to work with. Granted, you're able to pull things out and work outside of your shed. But I'm impressed none the less. You really make the most of what room you do have. And your work is every bit as good as it would be if you did have room to swing a dead cat by its tail and not hit anything.

Keep up the great work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #18 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve
Two things, Johnnie. First of all I like your planer stand.

Secondly, I feel the urge to comment about how impressed I am with the fact that you are able to do so much with the rather limited amount of space you have to work with. Granted, you're able to pull things out and work outside of your shed. But I'm impressed none the less. You really make the most of what room you do have. And your work is every bit as good as it would be if you did have room to swing a dead cat by its tail and not hit anything.

Keep up the great work.
+1 here
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
johnnie52 (12-03-2011)
post #19 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad View Post
You might do that with an inlay like Frank is doing on his? Perhaps there is something that each of them likes or an initial? Could use some other decorative inlay to distinguish them.
My wife suggested the same thing! I've never tried to do any serious inlay though, and really am afraid that I'll mess things up if I try.

I've made a few videos
post #20 of 100 Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Great job !!! keep it posting and Ill keep it read...lol. btw...did I miss something?...what lottery did you hit?
new BS and joiner(the two things I need most) the jealousy is almost overwhelming..........
You don't want to hit the same lottery, trust me. The VA finally paid me a bunch of back pay for service connected disabilities on a claim I filed a few years back. I was able to get the tools I've been wanting for years (you haven't seen the oscillating spindle sander yet), and got the wife a bunch of nice things also. I still have a claim pending with them, perhaps if they pay on that one as well, I'll be able to build a real shop!

Just so you guys don't feel left out, or think I've been slacking.... After getting the shop semi-cleaned up and the work top cleared for some glue ups on the jewelry chest later, I spent the rest of the day working on the final candle holder that will be given away this year at Christmas.

Here it is at a dry fitting.

It still needs lots of sanding and some stain to give the Aspen some character. Then its on to final assembly and finishing. Followed by boxing and wrapping before #3 daughter sees the finished product. As long as she thinks she's getting a couple of blocks of wood that are glued together the better....

Tomorrow's plans call for cutting the sides, tops and bottoms for the chest and getting those machined and glued. Maybe I'll get the frames for the doors cut also. We'll see how it goes.

I've made a few videos

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-03-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode