Kenbo, not only would the lumber cost $23.00 a foot in the big boxes instead of $10.50 a BF at the supplier, I could have gotten Oak, Poplar, Aspen or Pine... period! They don't carry Walnut, which is what I'm using for these builds.
Speaking of builds, today started out terribly. They delivered the wife's new dryer yesterday and were supposed to fully instal it for us. We discovered that they only plugged it in and half way connected the vent. So I found myself at HD getting a new vent pipe because the delivery person made a terrible mess of things. Came home and fixed the vent, leveled the machine so it doesn't try to walk around the room and ran a circulation test. All this was done in accordance with the machine's manual. The test came back showing a blocked vent, which I know to be false as I replaced everything from the outside hood to the back of the dryer.
I spent the next hour on the phone with the tech support guy pushing buttons and telling him nothing had changed. What ever happened to the good old days ... plug it in, push the go button and forget about it... This thing has more buttons than the space shuttle and it makes all sorts of beeping sounds... Sheesh! They are sending a tech to look at it next week...
Anyhow, at about 2:30 PM I finally got out to the shop. Pulled my pretty new Porter Cable 6" jointer onto the outside deck,
Hooked up the vacuum hoses to the shop vac,
Checked the Fence to be sure it was set to 90 degrees,
and began shoving Walnut through the spinning blades.
What started out looking like this...
quickly became a very nice smooth edge,
and it is even square!
So far so good. It only took about five passes at the shallowest cut setting to get to this point.
Now I moved to the car port and set up for some cuts at the Table Saw.
First I checked that my thin kerf rip blade was properly installed to the saw, verified a 90 degree angle to the table and set the blade height to take a high cut. The blade was set higher than I'm showing. It was actually high enough to have the teeth coming down onto the board instead of going into it at a low angle.
I then set my rip fence to six inches and verified that at the blade manually using my favorite folding rule. Once I was happy with all my settings, I ran the board though cutting it down to six inches from the seven and an eight that it was from the supplier.
I gotta tell you guys, this Freud Diablo 24 tooth thin kerf blade cuts like a hot knife through warm butter!
My plan was to make a couple of cuts through the 8/4 board and then finish the resaw at the band saw... but... as it turned out, I was able to completely resaw the six inch thickness at the table saw! This left me with two boards, 59 inches long by 5/8" thick and a third board that was 59 inches long by 29/64's thick.
Always remember to wear those ear protectors!
This is all that is left of that single 8/4 piece after jointing an edge, and ripping to a six inch width, then resawing to 5/8 thickness.
You can see that I have a strange shaped piece that came from the unjointed edge. I won't waste it as I have plans for that piece in these builds.