Ambrosia Maple cookies in drying stage. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Ambrosia Maple cookies in drying stage.

I was driving down the road and saw 3 maple trees being cut down, so I stopped. I walked up and and simply asked what was happening to the wood. They informed me that the large logs had been sold already.
Still, what I could see was a section of the tree base that I could use.
I asked them if they would cut me off about a 10" thick section of the tree base, and I would be glad to pay for it. They insisted I could have the piece for free.
Nice folks!

So I got it on the truck (weighed a ton) and took it down to a friend who owns a local sawmill. He insisted that the mill wasn't suitable for cutting it, so we went after it with a chainsaw.

I was hoping for 2, 3" thick slices and got em done. These are 42" long
Immediately I took em home and backed up the backsides with some wood slats to try and help keep them from twisting while drying.
I understand it will check and crack, just due to the nature of the wood, but the warping I can't work with.

So I splashed mineral spirits on the one piece to see what the grains looked like.

These are Ambrosia Maple. In slab form they would look different. In this form it leaves a real explosive looking pattern.

Now comes the drying time. Likely in 3 months I'll be able to make a 4 place setting table out of the tops by joining them together.

Enjoy the photos, friends
Attached Images

Last edited by aardvark; 04-10-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

No views?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
I viewed here and on email. LOL, just no reply!!! I did figure there'd be many replies though....those are going to be neat!!! I cant wait to see what you come up with as the final piece.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-13-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I should have posted this in the Forest/Milling section, Tim.

I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and speed drying them.
Considering these are end grains I don't think the conventional 1" per year drying time applies.
Right now the outer rings are at 18% m.c., and the center rings are around 35-40% m.c..
I have a space heater set on low blowing warm air around them and uncovered. Even so, some white mold is trying to form on the surface. Being these are maple and very sugary I suspect that's why.
So when the center rings get down around 20-25% m.c., they are going into the kiln.

I'm thinking in less than 3 months they'll be ready for use. Will they crack? I suspect so.
That's what epoxy will cure in the end.

A 4 place setting kitchen table is what I'm thinking. 4 explosive patterns? 4 plates! It'll be a small table...40" x 40" x 2" after cutting and planing.

Last edited by aardvark; 04-13-2016 at 03:07 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
You could get mods to move there....probably more appropriate. Then when you build just create a "project" thread then and add a link back to the saw/this one.

I got to saw today
I had several 36-48" long 14-18" walnut logs in the way.....I really decided IF I didn't cut them first I'd put them to the back burner especially IF I cut the larger crotches FIRST . Darkness caught me on the last 2 logs of pics (12 total cut). I'll post them maybe by weekend.....AS you see I'm still up...just finished getting my accountants stuff together for the quarterlies.....not much candle to finish burning from both ends in this 24 hrs!! LOL!!!! A little shut eye is better than NONE

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I woke up an hour or so ago.
Get some snooze time in, friend.

Taxes have been in to the accountant for 3 weeks, and still no end game. It wasn't looking good. I might owe the Feds $2500. Never paid in taxes at the end of the year since my first day of work in 1969.

At this point I'll likely leave the thread here and maybe start a fresh one over there.

Walnut?? WALNUT??? My first love!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode