Today marks the beginning of the 3rd project in the Alternative methods challenge. I have to say, that the shop time today was filled with measuring, test cuts, dry fits and a huge thought process that I thoroughly enjoyed. It all started like this..........................
I've decided to make this tool chest from red oak so with that decision out of the way, I pulled down a rough sawn 8/4 piece of red oak from the wood rack.
I then installed my ripping blade and made sure that it was square to the table. From there, I ripped the piece of oak down to a rough size. In this case, I cut it down to 8" wide, which also happens to be the maximum size that my jointer can handle. How convenient.
In all of the previous tutorials and build threads that I have done, I always stress checking the fence or the blade to make sure that it is 90 degrees to the table. This next photo illustrates why. I'm not sure what happened here. I could have knocked the fence when I was setting up, or bumped it "just so" with the heavy piece of oak, but either way, this fence is in no way, shape or form, 90 degrees to the table. It only took about 10 seconds to check and another 30 seconds to rectify, but it saved me a great deal of frustration down the line.
Once I got the fence of my jointer 90 degrees to my table, I face jointed the oak, checked for flatness, then edge jointed and checked for square. Once I was happy with the results, I moved on.
I then set up my band saw for some resaw action. Mounting my home made resaw fence and checking that the blade was square to the table. You can see here, that I have used my set up blocks to set the distance from my fence to my blade. You will be seeing a lot of these blocks in this thread. They are another one of my best buddies in the shop and I love my setup blocks.