Alternative Methods Challenge- Machinist's Chest
As I mentioned in another post, I gathered together my woods for the machinist chest last night--at least what I have on hand so far. Today, I took the opportunity to use this project to justify buying a few new toys. I got a new 2 TPI resawing blade for my bandsaw, a set of calipers, and a couple of squares, which I've needed for a while. I considered getting some set-up blocks like Kenbo has shown in his posts because I think they really will help speed up set-up times but I decided I'll just grab some scrap aluminum from work and make a set of my own.
About 10 years ago I promised my sister I'd make a display/storage box for her collection of hand fans and this machinist chest is remarkably close to my original design. As such, I'm finally going to attempt to build this thing and call it my challenge entry. I will be making a couple of dimensional changes, wider and deeper, perhaps a shade taller, and some internal mechanism changes. I will also be changing the single front panel to two panels (one that opens upward and one that opens downward) since this won't be intended to be carried anywhere and I want the panels to be completely hidden when they're opened.
Here are the specifics: instead of 17 inches wide, my box will be approximately 22, and it will be about 12 inches deep rather than 8 inches. Per the challenge rules, I'll be using the same joinery throughout the box as the original plan, but I intend to make one more significant change to the design. Instead of drawer pull hardware, I will be putting an invisible mechanism that ties the drawers together such that you push one drawer in to push the one next to it (or above it for the wide drawers) out.
Here's a quick picture of my starting woods and some explanation. First, the woods are yellowheart and bloodwood. An excellent choice for nice buttery yellow and a fantastic accent color. My sister and I picked these woods out together, way back when.
As I said, I promised my sister I'd build this a long time ago; before I had a bandsaw suitable for resawing. As such, I used to rip thin strips on my tablesaw (approximately 1/8 and 3/8 inches thick) and then glue up panels. One of the panels can be seen on the right of the picture. These will be the basis of most of the drawers and several of the larger components as well, once they're glued up. The thicker boards on the bottom left of the picture will be resawn to build the side panels and a few of the rails for the rail & stile panels.
So, I'm officially started, before I even expected. Now let's see if I can actually come close to finishing by Christmas.