Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I'm also glad that Frank is giving me some latitude on this.
Alright, it's official-- you're just showing off now!....
......so I'll give you some latitude on this one.
I can assure you that I'm not trying to show off anything. Wouldn't have a chance with that on this forum with all the talented woodworkers I can only admire.
I'm doing this for the fun of it and I've always been interested in trying new methods and different ways of doing things.
... Hope you don't have something else to distract you Longknife!
Well, there is a long list hanging on the refrigerator my wife keep reminding me of.....
Now, enough of that and back to work.
I made the vertical parts of the frames longer than required to make it easier to bend the pieces. Next thing to do was to cut them to the correct length with a miter for the horisontal part.
Then I made a simple jig to hold the frame parts when I cut the slots for the splines.
I also made the horisontal parts and planed them to the same thickness as the bent part, mitered them and cut spline slots.
I also ripped the splines from rowan stock I think will contrast to the birch. With all the parts done I was ready for assemble. This turned out to be a very frustrating job. This is a situation where you wish you had at least two more hands. The splines, even if I made them with a loose fit, also have a strange ability to swell up when the glue is applied. Well, after some struggling and a few
I managed to get it all together.
As the bent part are not perfectly square due to bending back a little after being glued together I installed the cauls you see in the picture to square everthing up when glued. They will of course be removed and the upper tray will keep everything in place later.
I trimmed off the spline ends, rounded the corners and gave the whole thing a first sanding to 120.
While the glue was curing I cut the tray sides, mitered them and cut the groove for the bottoms.
That's what I've accomplished so far. Now I hear somebody talking about a back door that have swelled in the rain. And that's not even on the list.....