• 2 Post By homestd
  • 1 Post By homestd
  • 1 Post By homestd
  • 2 Post By homestd
  • 1 Post By homestd

post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
106 Holes

I will apologize in advance, because this will be a long post and I plan to do it in installments. My wife has commissioned me to construct some shelves for the bathroom for storing her toiletries. She is an artist and doesn’t want any run of the mill, straight up, blah shelves. Twenty years ago, when we bought this house I built shelving for our books and record collection out of basic 1x12 pine lumber with the garage floor for a workbench. Because I had a very limited selection of wood working tools (hand saw, skillsaw, old B&D drill, hammers and framing squares, etc.), I used hole saws to doll up the corbels for the shelves. Later on, I used the same approach on a couple of shelves to wall-mount my stereo speakers. She likes the way the corbels were done so I embarked on my journey to incorporate the technique into the shelf design. Since I now have a fairly well (in my eyes and on my budget) equipped shop I hoped to do a little better on these shelves. It has taken a couple of months of tossing ideas around in my head to come up with a workable solution and full scale drawings for making my templates for accurately drilling 106 holes of various sizes between the shelves, which she specified are to be 9 1/2” apart. So it begins…sometime right after Christmas, 2019.

The Corbels
106 Holes-1-corbels.jpg

Necessary for starting this in January in an unheated shop…

106 Holes-2-beginning.jpg

Materials list: 1 #3 pine 1x12x8, pallet wood (gasp) for shelves, 1 4x8 sheet of lauan. Total cost: $22.97

106 Holes-3-materials.jpg

I generally make my patterns from lauan, which I keep on hand. Here you see my drawings and the templates. The main template (on the right) has been redesigned to leave more meat between the shelves, in case she decides to store some heavy stuff here. (5lb shampoo??)

106 Holes-4-templates.jpg

S
tarting out, I cut the shelf dados before ripping the board to 5 1/2” widths. The best I could get from 11 1/4”. As usual, I had to make a router jig for this that would register in the previous slot. The dado is 3/8x3/8.

106 Holes-5-router-jig.jpg

106 Holes-6-dados.jpg

Here are the drills required and the template in action.
106 Holes-7-drills.jpg

Next I need to create a level flat support for drilling the sides.
106 Holes-8-drill-support.jpg

Now I score the hole location by drilling about 1/8” deep and then trim away the unneeded portion, being careful not to cut away the 1/8” guide holes.

106 Holes-10-long-view.jpg

If someone would help by deleting the repetitive photos at the bottom, I'd appreciate it. How do I do this so I can avoid that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9 1st holes.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	386751  

difalkner and faith michel like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
The best way to do photos is to click Go Advanced below this Quick Reply window. If you're starting a post then you're already in Go Advanced. Then click on the Paper Clip which will bring up 'Manage Attachments'. From there you can browse to your attachments and upload them. When you're ready to insert a photo put your cursor at that point and hit the dropdown beside the Paper Clip. That will show a list of the photos you've uploaded. Click on the photo you want inserted where your cursor is and that's where it will be in the post.

If you're going to type your text and then just insert all the photos below your text then place your cursor there and choose 'Insert All' and it will add all the photos with a space between each photo.

One more tip is to take your photos widescreen (landscape) if you're using your phone. Rotate it CCW for proper orientation. If you want to take a portrait photo then open the photo in a viewer that doesn't automatically rotate it for you, rotate it to the proper orientation, then save it like that before you upload the photo.

Hope this helps!
David

PS - nice project!

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave for the info. Yes, I've got it all just about done (cut & paste). I think there are two more episodes. More to come soon. I'm just beginning to learn the WWT tricks and adjustments.
difalkner likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

106 Holes-12-hole-prep.jpg

I cut away the majority of the hole with my jig saw and get ready to drill out the actual holes. If you have ever used hole saws of this type, you will know that it’s royal pain to remove the plug from the bit. This way there is no plug and the pieces fall away after drilling. You just have to be careful to stop your cut at the inside edge of the kerf.

106 Holes-11-40-holes.jpg

40 holes done...66 to go. I’m definitely going to get my money’s worth out of this $49 HF Drill Press.

As luck would have it, my cheapo BD jig saw crapped out about halfway through 106 holes. I’ve had it a few years but it’s only seen pretty light duty and was kept in it’s case. This necessitated an emergency trip to my local tool supplier (a friends pawn shop where I have CREDIT!) and lucked into an older Milwaukee jig saw for $35. It’s a hoss and 100 times better than the BD. Cuts smooth as silk.

106 Holes-13-jig-saws.jpg

And this post would not be complete without introducing Ducky, resident wonder dog and shop foreman! He specializes in customizing small pieces of wood and finding stuff you haven’t seen in years.

106 Holes-14-el-duck.jpg

There will be some gaps in the process because my phone got misplaced for about a week. This is but here you have it...106 holes and the rabbet for the back done.

106 Holes-15-106-holes-rabbet.jpg
difalkner likes this.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

All the holes are drilled. Now it’s time to smooth things out with the router and a ¼” round over bit.
The round over turned out to be easier than I thought.

106 Holes-17-round-over.jpg
106 Holes-18-finised-round-over.jpg
Round over in progress, finished…

Now the fun starts...sanding 106 holes. I had some small sanding drums that turned out to be just what the doctor ordered for this except that I didn’t have any way to use them that was slow enough to keep from making my radius an ellipse and the pieces were too wieldly to try on the DP. A year or so ago I had bought a small Chinese regulator circuit board to use as a speed control but first I had to find it, then I had to put it together in a box with an outlet, etc. Finally found it, put it all together and it works like a charm. I won’t be plugging anything into it that has much of a current draw but on my $9 corded drill from HF it’s doing exactly what I need. Total cost less than $10. Of course, all of the finishing sanding will have to be done by hand. It’s really tedious and reminds me of building model airplanes, a LONG time ago.

106 Holes-20-sanding.jpg
106 Holes-22-before-after.jpg
Sanding, before and after

Well, here it is...sorta. Luckily, I was able to buy a sheet of Luan before before going to Lowes was no longer an option. Here is the dry fit for the back.

106 Holes-23-dry-fit.jpg
Dry Fit

And here it is standing up and with the Commissioness. I have blocks top and bottom for the clamps.

106 Holes-24-commissioness.jpg
Alchymist and difalkner like this.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's going on three months pretty much locked down now and I finally got some paint thanks to Lowe's mixing it and bringing it to us in the parking lot as there were a LOT of folks going in and lined outside So I can finally wrap this thing up and get on to my next adventure. OK little phone...sh&&ty camera. The color is Eggplant...First Coat...Hung out to dry

106 Holes-paint.jpg
Kenbo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode