Your next gotta have tool. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Your next gotta have tool.

What is one of the next tools you just gotta have. I know if your like me there is not just one but maybe we can get to see something that we didn't know was out there.

Here is mine. It is a mini belt sander that was just released by Porter Cable. Grizzly has it for $120.00.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:45 PM

View Tom R's Photo Album My Photos
That's a nice one, Dave, - - tell ya' what, - - those little sanders are handy as all hell.

I've got one called a 'Sand-Cat' (Black and Decker, maybe??).

Anyways, - - I've had it about (at least) 15 years now, - - still works like a charm.

I don't think it's even been available for years, - - but luckily, - - I can still get belts for it, - - they're 2 1/2" X 16" . . .
post #3 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

That one takes 2 1/2"x14" belts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
This is mine http://www.legacywoodworking.com/ . It is too cool , the website doesn't do it justice. I got the free dvd, this thing can do some neat stuff. Architectural millwork, duplication... it even cuts hollow twisted rope spindles. I have one I am working on buying used (some dude my wife works with put himself through college with it, now he is selling it cause he lives in an apartment and has a real job, no time/space for it) He contacted me wanting to sell... am waiting to see how bad.
post #5 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Really cool Daren. It isn't something I would use but cool none the less.

By the way, what other kind of work is there besides woodworking.

post #6 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Oh man, I have a short list of expensive goodies I want/need. First off I need a new chop saw. I think I'll be getting the Hitachi 12" slider. I looked at the Bosch and it looked to be a good saw also. The Hitachi had a few goodies on it that I liked. The small table kinda made me think twice though. Next in line is a new dust collection system. I have a 1 1/2 HP now, but it is about 10+ years old and seems to be getting weaker. It won't clear the shavings from my planer fast enough anymore and I get little scrape marks on my wood from the shavings getting trapped under the blade in between the wood. After that I would like to upgrade my 8" jointer (DJ 20) to a 12" (DJ 30). But what a price difference. $3700.00 for a jointer, Wow. But I use a lot of wider stock and it needs to be bought. Maybe my kid can do without those braces (LOL).

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #7 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
But what a price difference. $3700.00 for a jointer, Wow. Maybe my kid can do without those braces (LOL).
Sure, Leo, - - maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

Just ask your kid to 'buck up' . . .
post #8 of 48 Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
The next gotta have tool is a new miter saw for the road. I started out years ago with a 10" Makita chop saw and it served me well. Graduated to the Hitachi compound miter about 4 years ago. I find I'm doing more restoration work lately and that means some wide baseboards and casings. The 10" Hitachi just ain't cuttin' it...literally.
I really like the 12" Bosch slider, but know I'm going to regret not going for all the cut capability I can get, so have decided on the Dewalt.
Anyone out there know of any first hand negatives with the Dewalt?
post #9 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 06:07 PM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
mini craftsman

I purchased one of these mini sanders almost 20 years ago,don't know why ,i thought id never use it much but i was wrong,its come in handy quite a few times.
post #10 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 PM

dewalt 12" compound miter saw

I own two of them,i just got the other one recently brand new,ladies husband died and never used it(installed an entrance door for it)and it is the older version like the one i already own,the reason i say older is the newest versions ,although look almost the same,there not.I was in the tool store the other day and i was trying to figure out what was different,the handle location is not the same,i tend to wrap my thumb on the side a little ,well with the new one ,you will get it caught between the handle and blade guard,its very uncomfortable,and i have no idea why they changed the handle layout.i'm just lucky i got a brand new older version.although its really still a good saw the lay out of the handle should of never been changed.
post #11 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I also have a Dewalt 12" scms that I have had for about 5 years and still works like a charm. The best thing I can tell you is get a good blade. I prefer Forrest blades.

post #12 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Yup, all I use is Forrest. Only place that sharpens them is Forrest.
post #13 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 PM

View David's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The only issue I have run into with them is to double-check the bevel setting before starting work. I have seen them bet a couple of degrees off of a plumb cut, but that is mainly because the ones I have experience with bounce around in the back of a truck for fifty or more miles before they show up at the jobsite.

I've had mine about three years. I have, so far, only had to make sure that the bevel setting was at 90 degrees first thing in the morning.
post #14 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I want one of these ....

post #15 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM

wow

It looks dangerous,i like it

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
The Following User Says Thank You to nywoodwizard For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (02-12-2013)
post #16 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I really like the 12" Bosch slider, but know I'm going to regret not going for all the cut capability I can get, so have decided on the Dewalt.

Rob, - - I own the Bosch 4412, - - I don't know any negatives with the DeWalt, - - but I do believe that it's the Bosch that has the more cutting capability, - - unless you're referring to the DeWalt having more fence height (for crown), - - but myself, - - I cut my crown on the flat anyway . . .

Last edited by Tom R; 10-31-2006 at 08:58 PM.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Rob, I read every online review, editors picks, user ratings, tool review mags etc. i could get my hands on. I have the Makita 10" SCMS but I wanted to step up to a 12" also, even though you don't gain all that much in cutting depth as some people seem to think.
Even though I pride myself in not being a "Brand Man" but someone who buys the tool for the specific tools' features and reviews as stacked up against other like tools by different manufacturers. Alot of the reviews deal with subjective data which are facts like depth of cut, amperage, RPM, clutch settings etc. Alot of it is also purely subjective such as ease of use, features such as the 4412s front end controls, ergonommics, trigger locations etc.
Having said all that, with few exceptions, i have this inexplicable disdain for Dewalt, so I can't say i gave it a fair shake. It also rated low in Fine Woodworkings 2007 tool review.
When it came down to it, I narrowed my choice down to the Bosh and Makita. I can tell you my emotional side wanted the Bosch. I love Bosch engineering and own many of their tools. But in the end, after trying both of them, I chose the Makita. It is so much smoother than all the other saws and by a long shot. I guess because they are the only manufacturer to use a 4 ball bearing rail system. And actually I own les than a dozen Makita tools soo it isn't like i have a predelection toward them.
Also on the Bosch, they way they engineered the blade assembly allows for some play, ever so slight, but some play whereas the Makita has zero.
Now this is just my experience. You will find others who will tout their brand as their own but i am simply giving what my experience has been. i don;t get a comission from a manufacturer nor do I have an affinity for any particular brand over another when it comes time to buya tool. I just know that there is a 99% chance it isn't going to be yellow.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 10-31-2006 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Unmixed my my mixed-up sentences.
post #18 of 48 Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywoodwizard View Post
It looks dangerous,i like it
It can be very dangerous. It can suck you right in and spit you out even easier than a chipper if you aren't careful. It's a four sided timber sizer.
I have been wanting one for a while. I did get this last year, but it is limited to 6" x 16" capacity. I need the other one above which has a capacity of like 24" x 30"!
Attached Images

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 11-01-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Remove that pesky photo link
post #19 of 48 Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bois D' Arc Boy View Post
Rob, I read every online review, editors picks, user ratings, tool review mags etc. i could get my hands on. I have the Makita 10" SCMS but I wanted to step up to a 12" also, even though you don't gain all that much in cutting depth as some people seem to think.
Even though I pride myself in not being a "Brand Man" but someone who buys the tool for the specific tools' features and reviews as stacked up against other like tools by different manufacturers. Alot of the reviews deal with subjective data which are facts like depth of cut, amperage, RPM, clutch settings etc. Alot of it is also purely subjective such as ease of use, features such as the 4412s front end controls, ergonommics, trigger locations etc.
Having said all that, with few exceptions, i have this inexplicable disdain for Dewalt, so I can't say i gave it a fair shake. It also rated low in Fine Woodworkings 2007 tool review.
When it came down to it, I narrowed my choice down to the Bosh and Makita. I can tell you my emotional side wanted the Bosch. I love Bosch engineering and own many of their tools. But in the end, after trying both of them, I chose the Makita. It is so much smoother than all the other saws and by a long shot. I guess because they are the only manufacturer to use a 4 ball bearing rail system. And actually I own les than a dozen Makita tools soo it isn't like i have a predelection toward them.
Also on the Bosch, they way they engineered the blade assembly allows for some play, ever so slight, but some play whereas the Makita has zero.
Now this is just my experience. You will find others who will tout their brand as their own but i am simply giving what my experience has been. i don;t get a comission from a manufacturer nor do I have an affinity for any particular brand over another when it comes time to buya tool. I just know that there is a 99% chance it isn't going to be yellow.

Bois, - - I couldn't agree more with your post.

I too, - - have a similar DISDAIN for DeWalt, - - it's actually just one of the few times I didn't mention it . . .

And having been a frequent user of both the Bosch AND the Makita, - - I also agree wholeheartedly that the Makita has the edge on accuracy, - - and the Bosch has the edge on 'ease of use'.

I chose the Bosch, - - but it really was a tough decision.

Overall, - - IMO, - - the Makita is the most accurate SCMS out there, - - at least amongst all the ones I've used . . .
post #20 of 48 Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Bois,

Ya got a real love for that big iron...don't ya..

We will harvest no burl before it's time.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode