Would like opinion on my new saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

View Bearcreek's Photo Album My Photos
Would like opinion on my new saw

Hey board, I was talking to my father this past weekend and told him I was going to buy a new saw. He said why dont I go up to the barn and get his. He said I could have it but it needed a belt and two new table extensions. I said I would go look at it. What I found was a pratically brand new Craftsman model 113.27521. I got on the phone with Sears and couldnt believeit when they said they still made the table extensions for this saw. So I ordered two (be here tomorrow @ $45.00 per pc.) and put a belt on it it and the the cuts like a brand new one.

Below are some pictures I found after doing a search on the internet and found some of the same saw model. Mine looks JUST like this.... But the only difference is mine has 4 wheels instead of two.

I think its a pretty good saw...has anyone had any experience with this particular model or have any advice for the 50 year old 1.5hp belt driven saw?

This is the way my saw looks now without the extensions:

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron

Last edited by Bearcreek; 07-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
You are going to like it...I like mine http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/frankensaw-5226/
post #3 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
You are going to like it...I like mine http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/frankensaw-5226/
OH MAN...that is beautiful!! There is something nostalgic about using these old saws..I cant wait to get you some pics on here

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Hey Daren....I noticed on your saw the extensions had holes in them...on the one above didn't. My Grandfather thought that his had ext like yours......do you think that will be what Sears will be sending me (the ones like yours)? I would like to reduce the weight on this thing as much as possible without compromising accuracy.

post #5 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
IIRC that saw, fitted with those same stamped steel wings, and I believe it was a pretty basic fence / rail setup was the TS my Dad had in his basement shop when I was a kid.

I am in no hurry to replace my BT3100, but if I did, it would be with a more standard, old Iron 10" table saw. I have recently passed on a couple of VERY NICE 1960s vintage craftsman saws due to budget... Too bad. Whoever got them got some very nice saws for not much money.

That stand isn't what I remember though. I think Dad had his on a shop built cabinet...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
IIRC that saw, fitted with those same stamped steel wings, and I believe it was a pretty basic fence / rail setup was the TS my Dad had in his basement shop when I was a kid.

I am in no hurry to replace my BT3100, but if I did, it would be with a more standard, old Iron 10" table saw. I have recently passed on a couple of VERY NICE 1960s vintage craftsman saws due to budget... Too bad. Whoever got them got some very nice saws for not much money.

That stand isn't what I remember though. I think Dad had his on a shop built cabinet...
You know what I like about this saw...is the table was cut in a mill....not formed out of a piece of cast or bent out of a piece of steel...you can still see the mill marks on the table

post #7 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Cool looking saw Bearcreek. That's a heck of a deal. I looked up your Frankensaw Daren, that's neat. Reminds me of Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcreek View Post
.do you think that will be what Sears will be sending me (the ones like yours)? I would like to reduce the weight on this thing as much as possible without compromising accuracy.
I would imagine you will be getting ones like in the second picture you posted, stamped steel plate.
I have seen the extensions like mine on ebay (just looked real quick again) for $40. The stamped steel ones $10.
The stamped steel are much lighter weight wise than mine.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Reminds me of Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time.
...and it did cost me a dime, yep tight budget here too .
post #10 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
I would imagine you will be getting ones like in the second picture you posted, stamped steel plate.
I have seen the extensions like mine on ebay (just looked real quick again) for $40. The stamped steel ones $10.
The stamped steel are much lighter weight wise than mine.
I am ticked to death about getting my shop up and running........I have the power company coming out today to transfer power.....I cant wait to get my new tools and benches setup

post #11 of 29 Old 07-28-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcreek View Post
I am ticked to death about getting my shop up and running........I have the power company coming out today to transfer power.....I cant wait to get my new tools and benches setup
one more thing...I have decided to run it @ 6amps on 220 rather than on 13 on 120

post #12 of 29 Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
A good old saw. I had one for a number of years. Sold it to my sisters father in law. Now, my brother in law has it.
Mine had cast iron wings, but the skeleton style.
If I had it today, if available I would look for solid cast iron wings. If not available, I would just make wings, like the Biesemeyer extension tables that come with the fence kit. A friend bought a used Unisaw about 6 years ago, and I used it a lot. It wasn't untill I found a used Unisaw of my own, that I realized that on the right side of his saw, there was no wing, just an extension table. There was no downside to that setup.
Again if I still had the saw, I would put a Delta T-2 fence on it ($150) Unless a $150 Biesemeyer fence came along!
The fence would be a great improvement on that saw.
Good luck with a good old saw!
post #13 of 29 Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
A good old saw. I had one for a number of years. Sold it to my sisters father in law. Now, my brother in law has it.
Mine had cast iron wings, but the skeleton style.
If I had it today, if available I would look for solid cast iron wings. If not available, I would just make wings, like the Biesemeyer extension tables that come with the fence kit. A friend bought a used Unisaw about 6 years ago, and I used it a lot. It wasn't untill I found a used Unisaw of my own, that I realized that on the right side of his saw, there was no wing, just an extension table. There was no downside to that setup.
Again if I still had the saw, I would put a Delta T-2 fence on it ($150) Unless a $150 Biesemeyer fence came along!
The fence would be a great improvement on that saw.
Good luck with a good old saw!
I was able to buy some stamped steel replacement wings from craftsman. I couldnt believe they still sold parts for the old saw. But the thing cuts like a 2000.00 dolllar saw

post #14 of 29 Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I had one of those for years. I put balanced pulleys and a link belt on it, and it hummed with no vibration. I also put an incra t-square fence on it, and it was deadly accurate.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 AM

View Knucklebuster's Photo Album My Photos
Great looking saw. Mine is about the same - 1950 or so. Made wings out of two layers of 3/4 MDF and Formica. I'd post a pic but yours looks a lot better than mine!
post #16 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklebuster View Post
Great looking saw. Mine is about the same - 1950 or so. Made wings out of two layers of 3/4 MDF and Formica. I'd post a pic but yours looks a lot better than mine!
this is a geat saw...i cant wait till i get the ext tables put on

post #17 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Bearcat,
I have the matching drill press and used to have the matching bandsaw(gave it to my cousin). They were made in 1951 by King Seeley Corp. for Sears. Had the Sears name on it. Sears made good stuff back then. All in the USA. I have a brand new yet 1 hp craftsmen motor still in the box that looks very similar to the one on your saw. It's never been used, seems to be very heavy. If anyone that reads this is interested, I would let it go very cheap, as I have no use for it.
Mike Hawkins
post #18 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Thanks Mike.......I will keep that in mind!!!!!

post #19 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Are the extensions stamped metal? That looks a little like my
Delta
. What are your plans for a fence?
post #20 of 29 Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Tennessee View Post
Are the extensions stamped metal? That looks a little like my
Delta
. What are your plans for a fence?
Mine are stamped......I am in the pocess of machining some out of solid stainless if I can find one more blank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode