Would buying this bandsaw be a mistake? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
Would buying this bandsaw be a mistake?

So, there's a 1985 Ram Machinery 14" bandsaw on the local Craigslist. The trunnions for the table are broken and need to be replaced. Apparently, Amazon has them for $30. The seller of the saw is firm at $75. My current bandsaw is a Craftsman 12" which works fine. It can't take a 3/4" blade. I'd like to be able to do a little bit of resawing....should I buy the RM, or should I pass? My tool budget is very small, so I like buying old stuff and fixing it up. I don't need new stuff.

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 PM

View seventhandbowler's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not familiar with the saw you're referring to, but if you like buying old stuff and bringing it back to life, then I say jump on it!
post #3 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Will you need parts for it? IMHO, that would determine which way to go.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I am more worried by the word "apparently" as it relates to the trunnions. They are either available or they are not. They may be unobtainium. They may be proprietary and, if you can find them, very expensive. I am right there with you on fixing up old stuff but a machine that is rare or a limited production and no longer produced always gives me pause.

Good luck
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by subroc; 01-23-2020 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

What I found when I first saw the ad for this saw (about a month ago) is that Ram Machinery is another of those names that was applied to a number of Taiwanese tools, and the trunnions are common with some Jet and Grizzly tools, among other brands. Amazon has them for $30. I think I'm going to end up rolling the dice and buying this thing, but wanted to hear if anyone had any horror stories about this saw I guess.

Ken
post #6 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Id be wondering how the trunnions were broken and if there is any other damage that would need to be fixed for the saw to work and cut properly.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
Id be wondering how the trunnions were broken and if there is any other damage that would need to be fixed for the saw to work and cut properly.
Many trunnions are broken by picking the saw up by the table, possibly the cause here, gamble is will the replacements fit.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Here are questions that I might ask:

* How wide are the boards you will be resawing? Less than 6 inches? Up to 12 inches?
* Is the resaw capacity enough? Does it come with a riser block installed?

* What kinds of woods will you be resawing? Hard maple, purpleheart, and lignum vitae? Only woods like softwoods, basswood, balsa, and poplar?
* How much power does the motor have? Enough to do the resawing that you want to do?

* Can this saw handle a 3/4 inch blade? Not all 14 inch bandsaws do well with a 3/4 inch blade, which requires very high tension.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

BUdgetary considerations will likely keep any resawing restricted to local lumber, which would be maple and oak at the hard end of the scale.
The trunnions were broken by trying to move the saw by the table. That was a very common thing with these saws, regardless of what the brand name was that was on them. That's probably why Amazon still carries this part.
The saw does say on it that it takes a 3/4 inch blade. I don't know how well it tensions it though.
As for the motor, I think its'a 1hp, but I don't know that for fact.

Ken
post #10 of 27 Old 01-27-2020, 01:26 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If the trunnions don't work you can return them to Amazon and you will have a 1 HP motor for $75.00 if worst comes to worst.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 27 Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
If the trunnions don't work you can return them to Amazon and you will have a 1 HP motor for $75.00 if worst comes to worst.
That's pretty much at how I look at it, and most of the old tools I buy. I'm getting ready to take a loss on an air compressor i bought though... bought it from a friend who thinks he told me that there's a knock in the compressor head, but he didn't. He did tell me that it pops the breaker about every 5th or 6th time it starts up, which I didn't think was a serious issue. Turns out that when he put a new motor on it 2 years ago, he undersized the motor by a lot so it overheats. The combination or head noise and small motor makes it pretty much a very hard sell.

Ken
post #12 of 27 Old 01-27-2020, 06:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Broken trunnions, a common issue ....

Wheteher you get them on Amazon or from Ebay there's always a good supply of them:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nions&_sacat=0

Quote:
Many trunnions are broken by picking the saw up by the table, possibly the cause here, gamble is will the replacements fit.
Quote:

Those bandsaws, Deltas and their clone have many parts in common, including riser blocks for increasing the height under the upper wheel for resawing. You will need a longer guide post, and your 3/4 HP motor won't cut it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 27 Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's the update. I sold some stuff today so my tool budget is back up enough to buy this saw. I just got done talking to the owner and we've agreed that I'll come get it tomorrow night.

Ken
post #14 of 27 Old 01-29-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

and...it's now in my garage. It is a 1985 Ram Machinery model 0067, and the only thing wrong with it is that the trunnions are broken. That happened when his step ladder fell against it. It is 3/4 hP. Looks to have been taken care of...he had even taken the tension off the blade, which is a habit I should try to get into. $75 for the saw and I've now ordered trunnions from Amazon... $30 and they'll be here on Saturday. I'm going to have to make something on Sunday...this saw and my "new" Mao Shen table saw will both be working then.
woodnthings likes this.

Ken
post #15 of 27 Old 01-31-2020, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, there's good news and bad news. In reverse order, the bad news is the "upper hinge" that the bolt that tilts the upper wheel contacts, is broken. The GREAT news is, ereplacementparts has them and a new one cost me $25, which includes shipping!
It also needs new thrust bearings (ordered at work today) and new tires, which I figure.d anyway. Looks like the total investment in this saw will be just under $175, which I feel isn't bad for an updated 14" bandsaw. Especially since it's the same saw as some of the Jets and Grizzlys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken tilt.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	384249  

Ken
post #16 of 27 Old 02-01-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

I may have mentioned this, but the new trunnions were delivered yesterday. Nice heavy steel units. They bolted right on...but the original clamp that goes inside the trunnions would not fit inside them. A short session with the belt/disc sander and they fir and work well.
The decal on the side of the table struck me funny...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new trunnions.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	384265  

Name:	poor fit.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	384267  

Name:	funny decal.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	384269  

Ken
post #17 of 27 Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

The saw now runs and cuts. I had to make a couple of mods to get the new upper hinge in. it looks like the old one, only beefier, but the holes for the pins that hold it in, and that it pivots on, would not fit in the drilled holes. i redrilled them and then found that the holes couldn't be drilled deep enough to accommodate the full length of the pins, so I cut the pins about 5/16 shorter and everything went together as it should.
The saw now has new trunnions, thrust bearings, upper hinge and urethane tires.It has gone from being horribly noisy to a comfortable noise level, and a new blade will get rid of even more noise as it has a "thump" caused by a bad weld or slight bend in the blade.

Ken
post #18 of 27 Old 02-15-2020, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, I found a difference between this saw and others that I didn't expect... it uses a 92.5 inch blade. I found that out by buying a 93.5 inch one. Those are a lot easier to find!
I wonder about adding a short riser to adapt this to the easier to get 93.5 inch blade.

Ken
post #19 of 27 Old 02-16-2020, 02:03 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
There is another thread I replied to in the recent past on a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw that was set up from the factory for 92.5 inch blades. Those saws could be adjusted to take 93.5 inch blades. The instructions are in the Grizzly manual. Search for that thread for more info, download the manual from the Grizzly site, and compare the upper adjustment mechanism to yours. It may be possible to adjust yours for the 93.5 inch blades.

There are also two other options, ordering 92.5 inch blades online as they are several companies that will weld the bands to the specific size needed. The other potential option is just maybe, the Grizzly adjustment mechanism may fit your saw which would allow the adjustment for the 93.5 inch blades. Be careful though as the upper arm casting will need to have the proper sized and opened slots at the top to allow for that much adjustment, and also the axle size will need to match the one on your saw.

Last edited by Tom-G; 02-16-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
post #20 of 27 Old 02-16-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

When I tried to adjust it the top wheel ended up slightly above the cover, so unless there's a way to move the bottom wheel down a longer blade will never fit this saw. Do G0555 saws have a de-tensioning lever? I did a Gogle search on this and the saw they show does have one. My old Ram Machinery does not.

Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode