Is this worth it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Is this worth it?

I found this on craigs list for $100.00. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it worth it? Should I buy it? The guy says he used it for one project. He only used one bit and that was about 8 times during that project.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35570

Thanks guys.

By the way, a stand comes with it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3184

Last edited by woodworks; 09-02-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworks,
Other than rubber mallets, oring kits, etc., I am not a big fan of harbor freight. I don't think I would buy any of their stuff used. Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. If you buy used, you wouldn't have any easy recourse if the tool breaks. At least if you buy directly from them, you have somewhere to take it back to if it breaks. The nearest HF stores are about a half hour from me. That alone is enough to keep me from going there.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Mike. I have never purchased anything from HF; but I have seen a lot of posts that question the quality of their equipment. If I did buy it I would insist on trying it out on a piece of hardwood and and get the price lower.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Well so far, not so good.

TomC, any idea what you think it's worth?

Anyone else have an opinion? I was thinking this was a good deal. Shows you how much I know.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

I really don't know. Mike made a good point about not being able to return. I would not give more that I am willing to lose. It's a gamble.; you might win or you might lose.
Tom
post #6 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
edp

View edp's Photo Album My Photos
For the asking price and the amount of future

use it will see, I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and buy it. This isn't the type of tool that a hobbyist will use to extremes. If my guess is right, the second time you go to use it, you will need to shovel the accumulated dust off of it. In fact, if I didn't already have one, I might take the plunge for you.

Ed

Come on in, the beer's cold and the wood's dry.
We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

The guy sent me a couple of pictures of it. It really hasn't been used very much at all. I tend to believe him about it being used for just one job. If it's still there, I think I'll go look at it tomorrow with a couple of peices of hardwood.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworks View Post
The guy sent me a couple of pictures of it. It really hasn't been used very much at all. I tend to believe him about it being used for just one job. If it's still there, I think I'll go look at it tomorrow with a couple of peices of hardwood.
Let us know what you found in using it. I might consider a new one.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
One Ben Franklin? ... ah give'er a go!
Then tell us what you think!

But seriously, if you're a hobbyist (and it runs) it will probably be worth it. I know I'm getting tired of doing it by hand.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Well the guy wouldn't let me go to his house and try it out. He said he didn't get to try it out when he bought it, so why should I. Then he made some excuse about not trying it out at his house because of insurance and if something happened.

So I figured ok, I'd still go look at it and make sure it ran. In the meantime, he offered to bring it to my house. Now we are about 2 1/2 hours away from each other. So he said he would come to a store that he has been wanting to go to so that it would be all one trip.

Well we got it hooked up and right away I saw he had assembled it incorrectly. Then I glanced through the instruction booklet. It was about 4 pages long and the first three were about how to assemble it. So I didn't really need to read too much to see how to work it. It isn't that hard to figure out. It wouldln't take over a peice of 3 in stock even though it said it had a 5 in throat. The half inch bit wouldn't even cut into a peice of oak. There was a lot of slop in the fence and every time you changed to a new peice of wood you would have to straighten everything again.

Needless to say, I decided that if I was going to buy one, I'd be better off buying a better one. The guy was really pissed at me . Started insulting me because he came all that way and I wouldn't buy it. I used it enough to know that I'd regrete it if I did buy it. I also used it enough to know that I wll have to start looking for a good one. The only problem, the good ones are twice as much.

So if anyone wants it, it is still on craigs list. Who knows, he might sell it cheaper now.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Keep us updated on what you decide. I have been looking at the Delta bench top model. Just not ready to make the investment. Wood magazine gave it a good review.
Tom
post #12 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
It's worth a $100 new if you don't do a lot of mortising, but no way I'd pay that for it new. It goes on sale close to $100 about every month. If you plan to put your mortiser thru the paces, then look for a more substantial machine...Shop Fox, Delta, GI, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode