Workmate Father's Day gift for son. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnep

post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Workmate Father's Day gift for son.

I'm looking at a Father's Day gift for my 35 year old son. It looks like the workmate concept would be well worth my investment in his life and world. Anybody have any thoughts about these? It looks like there are several grades or levels of this tool. There may also be alternatives to the Black & Decker brand. I welcome your advice as always.

Chuck Barnett

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
I looked at these when I was initially buying things to jump start my hobby. My opinion of this type of workbench is that it was too small for most of the things I would want to use it for and for a fraction of the price I made a few saw horses and used some 3/4 plywood as a top until I built my work table.

I guess they have their place in a shop for some people, but to me they are quick and portable solutions for contractors to take 1+ to a job site and have little to no functional use in my shop and the projects I work on.

The last thing that steered me away was the price, for the same price you can build a pretty simple table setup that is larger and probably more stable.

Just my thoughts on it.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following User Says Thank You to Techsniffer For This Useful Post:
ChuckBarnett (06-11-2017)
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I have a B&D workmate. It can be useful. But I also own two very stout folding metal sawhorses. These are not the flimsy type, these are heavy duty. I tend to use them more and find them more versatile than the workmate.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 08:00 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Workmates have a lot of use. I would like to have another.

When I built my deck a couple years ago it was nice to set it up outside and set the slider on. Load and go.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rebelwork; 06-10-2017 at 08:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I have two. Use them when renovating the house - inside and out. Must note I consider them as an accessory not my main work centre.
The Following User Says Thank You to bargoon For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 AM

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
The HD Husky portable work table is another option, for $80. It's about 2'x3' and the legs can be removed so it stores flat on end. I've had mine for a few years. My workshop is too small for a real work bench. When I need a larger surface for something like a glue up I put an MDF panel on top of it and my table saw and use them like horses. The Husky has a router plate and two t-tracks. Those small 4" Bessey's work perfectly in the tracks for clamping your work piece. I use t-bolts to secure my router fence. It's not ideal for fine woodworking, but it's durable and sure does serve a lot of purposes for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTurnsElastic For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 01:18 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I have three of them now I am working in a smaller shop that doesn't have room for a proper work bench with a vice and dogs. Two of them are the light weight style, one is the heavier model and I love it.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I have had my alloy frame workmate since the early 70s. No room for a proper workbench. I have used it for many jobs. Even stood on it when painting a ceiling.
It weighs just under 10kgs and finding a bit heavy to lift now at 83. Best investment (cost $25) I ever made. The suggestion of making saw horses OK, but I would need my workmate to hold the wood for sawing.
johnep
Toolman50 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnep For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 AM

View kentucky tom's Photo Album My Photos
I also have a vintage workmate by B-decker. It's somewhat useful for hand sawing and holding doors , and folds nicely for storage. Maybe a gift certificate may be more welcomed

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
I'm looking at a Father's Day gift for my 35 year old son. It looks like the workmate concept would be well worth my investment in his life and world. Anybody have any thoughts about these? It looks like there are several grades or levels of this tool. There may also be alternatives to the Black & Decker brand. I welcome your advice as always.

Chuck Barnett

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If your looking for a portable work table look at the Worx Pegasus, i just bought my second one, best i've found.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/wo...FINxoCGnrw_wcB
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 09:42 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
I have had my alloy frame workmate since the early 70s. No room for a proper workbench. I have used it for many jobs. Even stood on it when painting a ceiling.
It weighs just under 10kgs and finding a bit heavy to lift now at 83. Best investment (cost $25) I ever made. The suggestion of making saw horses OK, but I would need my workmate to hold the wood for sawing.
johnep
John
I have a Workmate, but it was me who said I use my metal sawhorses more. These aren't homemade sawhorses, they are heavy duty metal with folding legs. Real finger punchers to fold-up, but super strong. I can throw a sheet of plywood across them and instantly have a big work table in addition to my workbench. They are much better to use when cutting sheet goods. The workmate has its place but I just don't use it as much.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode