Wiring an old Jet bandsaw motor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dducic
  • 1 Post By dducic

post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

View dducic's Photo Album My Photos
Wiring an old Jet bandsaw motor

Hi all,

I'm repurposing an old Jet bandsaw motor for a shop-built drum sander. I'm wiring up the new sander with the old motor but admittedly I'm confused with the motor's wiring. The bandsaw was wired for 110 and ran on a standard household plug (the sander will be 110 as well), but as I look at the wires in the motor housing it almost looks like 220. Please see attached pic.

The capacitor wires run to the 2nd and 3rd terminals, and I assume one of the other wires is a ground (since there is no ground wire attached to the ground screw). It's probably a simple answer but I can't figure it out - any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Just guessing the incoming line would go to the #1&2 terminals

The picture doesn't show it but too well, but is that an electrical device between the cap and the terminal block? If so it is either a start relay or thermistor to energize the cap during start up

It would be better to see if you can get a wiring diagram from Jet, you might be able to get the owners manual on line for the old bandsaw, that would be the safest thing to do

Some of the Asian motors have weird wiring
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Going off standard wire color, I would guess that the black and white are used for a 120 connection, the black and red for a 220, assuming it's a dual voltage motor. Just a guess though, first I've seen a motor with terminals like that

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Here is a website that lists the manual for some of their bandsaws, if you knew the model number it would help but at the rear of this manual it has a wiring diagram, but nothing that really looked like yours, your''s isn't a 3 ph and that was the only motor that had a red wire on it

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-41450...efault,pd.html

you might look at all the bands saws they list to see if you can find it or I would bet if you called Jet they would be able to help you

If worst comes to worst take the motor to a motor repair shop so you don't end up letting the magic smoke out of it, it is impossible to put the smoke back in LOL
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi Cat,

Yes, I assume the item between the cap and the terminal block is a capacitor.

Regarding the wiring diagram, the only one that Jet provides is located here, page 22: http://www.mikestools.com/download/J...707200_man.pdf. It's very difficult for me to interpret so if you have additional information to glean from it I'm all ears.

I'm not a big magic smoke fan either... :)
WesTex likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dducic View Post
Hi Cat,

Yes, I assume the item between the cap and the terminal block is a capacitor.

Regarding the wiring diagram, the only one that Jet provides is located here, page 22: http://www.mikestools.com/download/J...707200_man.pdf. It's very difficult for me to interpret so if you have additional information to glean from it I'm all ears.

I'm not a big magic smoke fan either... :)

According to the book it says it is a discrete 120 V motor so I would hook power to the white and red wires, you really couldn't hurt it, it will either run or be a direct short, and trip the breaker, but if I was a betting man I would say it would work

It looks like a capacitor start induction run motor, the thing between the cap and terminal block is the start relay but their wiring diagram is about as clear as mud.

I don't believe i have ever seen a cap start PSC(cap run) motor on a wood working machine, but there is always a first time
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Update: I wired up the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires, left the red wire alone, and attached the ground wire to the ground screw. Works like a million bucks. I have a feeling that it would've been very hard to find the magic smoke so I took a calculated risk and assumed the red wire was the potential 220. Should be good to go at this point. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments - I'll be finishing my project this weekend and looking forward to using it!
Willy-N likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dducic View Post
Update: I wired up the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires, left the red wire alone, and attached the ground wire to the ground screw. Works like a million bucks. I have a feeling that it would've been very hard to find the magic smoke so I took a calculated risk and assumed the red wire was the potential 220. Should be good to go at this point. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments - I'll be finishing my project this weekend and looking forward to using it!
Glad it worked, the book said the motor was 120 only, but maybe they switched them midstream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode