Where to find old machines? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

View Sawyer Zuniga's Photo Album My Photos
Question Where to find old machines?

I was just curious on the best way to find old machines. I am a new woodworker and I have pretty much everything I need but was just wondering, when I decide to upgrade to bigger ones in the future.

Sawyer Zuniga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 03:18 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Once you find them ......

Shipping will be the biggest issue once you find them. My buddy has got some awesome deals on Ebay, but he had to drive several hundred miles to pick them up. You will need a truck and a flatbed trailer. The auctions would state "Local Pickup Only".
Estate auctions, school actions, government auctions and other sources. Furniture making companies are going out of business, often selling machines at very low prices. There are auction sites online that list the machines they have.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 09:31 AM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
Craigslist is good for tools.
The Wisconsin online auction website frequently has surplus school shop tools.
Woodweb is a site for commercial woodworkers. It has a tab for used tools for sale that can be sorted by location. Mostly factory machines, but a few smaller commercial tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
If you're lucky, you might find a woodworking group in your area that could help you find good tools locally. It pays to network.
MEP1 and Tool Agnostic like this.

Geoff
post #5 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 11:46 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I check Facebook, Craigs List, and local classifieds. Also garage sales. Facebook has been the best lately.
Parks planes $125. Delta mint 14" bs $80.
Old Delta 14" bs with riser $65.
Rockwell RC 33 planer $100
The list goes on.
They're out there. I'm retired and check ads often.
Last wk. I didn't feel like a 4 hour round trip for a Delta 14" bs with riser for $100.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Sawyer!

Besides CL I would take a look at OWWM where you'll find nothing but old iron in the classifieds (I think you need to be logged in to see classifieds).

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer Zuniga View Post
I was just curious on the best way to find old machines. I am a new woodworker and I have pretty much everything I need but was just wondering, when I decide to upgrade to bigger ones in the future.

Just what do you consider "bigger ones?"

George
post #8 of 21 Old 12-21-2019, 04:02 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
You have to hope that you live in an area where woodworking is a big thing. I'm not. There are virtually no woodworking tools, at least no quality ones, on Craigslist, period. My closest hardwood dealer is 80 miles away on the other side of a mountain. The local woodworking group, what little there is of one, is no help. They admit there's nothing around here, which is why they hardly exist at all. It's really kind of sad.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-28-2019, 06:16 AM

View jeff100's Photo Album My Photos
I just make it a point to check FB marketplace and craiglist (they finally got a phone app) each morning. They are out there you just need to be ready to jump on them when they show up. Not to mention you will probably need some very nice friends to go with to help move stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff100 For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (01-02-2020)
post #10 of 21 Old 01-02-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the feed back I am 15 half my shop are tools from FB marketplace. What I mean by bigger would be a 36in bandsaw or a 20in planer, or a 16in radial arm saw.

Sawyer Zuniga
post #11 of 21 Old 01-02-2020, 08:26 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am 15 half my shop are tools from FB marketplace. What I mean by bigger would be a 36in bandsaw or a 20in planer, or a 16in radial arm saw.
are you really 15 years old ?? or, is that a typo.

I worked as a woodworker for Lockheed-Martin Aerospace and I had a 36"bandsaw
and a 16" RAS. (it may have been 18", I can't remember) which had 10ft conveyor rollers
on each side of the saw.
those two machines took up a LOT of floor space !!!
so if those are in your plans, you really need to put some thought into the placement
of them as they are bolted to the floor and are not easily moved around if you change your mind.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 01-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-03-2020, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

No that is not a typo I really am 15. Got my first tool a dremel when I was 14 and I was hooked. Now I have to many to count and really enjoying the craft.
Catpower likes this.

Sawyer Zuniga
post #13 of 21 Old 01-03-2020, 05:15 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
No that is not a typo I really am 15. Got my first tool a dremel when I was 14 and I was hooked. Now I have to many to count and really enjoying the craft.

I was 13 when I got bit by the sawdust, 52 years ago, my first machine was a Rockwell lathe, then a Radial arm saw, jointer, jigsaw, and bandsaw all Rockwell Delta, it was what the school had

Now I have about every wood working tool made except a wide belt sander

For machines like you are looking for beware they will probably be 3 phase, but you can install an inverter to turn single phase to three phase, but it is best if the motor has Class F insulation, it will state the insulation on the data plate, if it doesn't have Class F just don't push it real hard and keep the frequency at 60 CPS

Another place to check is scrap yards, some people think all that old iron is junk and sell it as scrap, a lot of scrap yard owners are aware of the value and will save machines for resale. I had a buddy that bought a 36 inch Tannawitz (SP) band saw for 4 cents a pound from a scrap yard, it was quite a while ago might be 6 cents now LOL

There is no app for experience
post #14 of 21 Old 01-04-2020, 10:20 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
@Sawyer Zuniga may be a 15 year old woodworking prodigy, but I still question the premise of this entire thread.

According to his own statements, he started woodworking with a Dremel tool at 14. Now he is 15 with "too many to count" tools, and now he wants industrial grade tools. Something isn't right here. Regardless of raw woodworking talent, is it reasonable that someone of his age is ready to upgrade his power tools to industrial scale? Has he truly mastered what he has now? Between school, homework, and other outside activities, what is he doing?

A long time ago, I bought a used keyboard from a teenager about Sawyer's age. It was a current model, and the asking price was very good. He showed me his array of keyboard electronics. It was huge - a rotating stool surrounded on three sides by triangular racks of keyboards, samplers, amplifiers, etc. They were the kind you see at rock concerts, not usually in a small bedroom, and not usually owned by such a young person. I refused to buy the keyboard until he insisted that I talk with his parents. They had finally said "no" to buying him another electronic sampler module, so he wanted to sell off the keyboard to raise the money to buy it. I explained the keyboard and price issues to the parents. They were completely okay with the deal, so I bought it. (Obviously they had money to burn. They made it clear that the keyboard was his to do what he wanted, including selling it to me at whatever price he set.)

After the deal was done, I asked him to demonstrate those fancy racks of equipment. I expected something interesting and exciting. Sadly, his keyboard playing had not progressed much beyond "chopsticks" and he had little idea how to use the array of equipment in that huge cluster.

Owning the tools and mastering them are two different things. One of the nearby community colleges offers a woodworking program with four different emphasis options. You won't complete any of them in a year.

Something does not add up here.
GeorgeC likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-04-2020, 10:49 AM

P.S. I would love it if @Sawyer Zuniga would share some photos of his projects and/or workshop. I get inspiration and ideas from other people's work, and it would be interesting to see some of his projects, too.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-04-2020, 03:43 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
@Sawyer Zuniga may be a 15 year old woodworking prodigy, but I still question the premise of this entire thread.

According to his own statements, he started woodworking with a Dremel tool at 14. Now he is 15 with "too many to count" tools, and now he wants industrial grade tools. Something isn't right here. Regardless of raw woodworking talent, is it reasonable that someone of his age is ready to upgrade his power tools to industrial scale? Has he truly mastered what he has now? Between school, homework, and other outside activities, what is he doing?

A long time ago, I bought a used keyboard from a teenager about Sawyer's age. It was a current model, and the asking price was very good. He showed me his array of keyboard electronics. It was huge - a rotating stool surrounded on three sides by triangular racks of keyboards, samplers, amplifiers, etc. They were the kind you see at rock concerts, not usually in a small bedroom, and not usually owned by such a young person. I refused to buy the keyboard until he insisted that I talk with his parents. They had finally said "no" to buying him another electronic sampler module, so he wanted to sell off the keyboard to raise the money to buy it. I explained the keyboard and price issues to the parents. They were completely okay with the deal, so I bought it. (Obviously they had money to burn. They made it clear that the keyboard was his to do what he wanted, including selling it to me at whatever price he set.)

After the deal was done, I asked him to demonstrate those fancy racks of equipment. I expected something interesting and exciting. Sadly, his keyboard playing had not progressed much beyond "chopsticks" and he had little idea how to use the array of equipment in that huge cluster.

Owning the tools and mastering them are two different things. One of the nearby community colleges offers a woodworking program with four different emphasis options. You won't complete any of them in a year.

I too am a bit skeptical.

George
post #17 of 21 Old 01-04-2020, 04:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post

It adds up perfectly, he has the tools he needs right now but is looking for bigger tools, he has probably seen on a video

And as far as experience most 15 year olds think they know pretty much everything there is to know

When I was about 40 I bought a 20x60 Axleson engine lathe, I had never ran one or seen a video it was before the youtube days, but I read up on it and with in about 90 days was good enough on it to make around $40,000 the first year, making stub shafts for Trane airhandlers, they were made out of unobtainium, and the complete shaft was around $14,000, it is 16 feet long so almost impossible to replace one for less then $20,000, I sold the stub shafts for $4,000 and they could be installed in about 45 minutes

I was 40 and didn't know squat about running an engine lathe and learned pretty quickly, he probably learns pretty quickly too

And the are men young and old that can't have enough tools or guns, I and one of those

We are called tool and gun whores LOL

There is no app for experience
post #18 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 12:59 AM

With the possible exception of @Catpower, there is a big difference between 15 and 40. :-p
Catpower likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

No I have not mastered using tools and probably wont ever, but I really like tools and what they do. and I really like woodworking I know how all the tools work, how to clean and how to operate them and that is good enough for me. I am a self taught woodworker and the first in my family. As far is goes with industrial tools it is my dream to own some, just like someone who dreams to own a super car you may not be a NASCAR racer but can still a own a super car with hard work and dedication. And I don't think you need to master tools in order to have a bigger one.
Catpower likes this.

Sawyer Zuniga
post #20 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Old machines are everywhere. Knowing which ones are worth the purchase is the trick. I was looking at old Delta lathes. Not being familiar with lathes I could easily make a poor purchase. By the time a good tool pops up on say Craigslist and is a real deal, you come to a forum as if it's a deal, get a reply the tool is probably gone...

It's a challenge to this or that for the right money.....

Best to put a wish list together and what it's worth used and when it comes up you can be all over it...Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode