What is your favorite power tool? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 38 Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
What is your favorite power tool?

I have a ton of tools, literally, but the one that I seem to reach for more than any is my 18v Dewalt impact screw gun. It seems like everything is either attached with a screw or needs to be.

So what is your favorite tool?

Dave.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-16-2006, 10:27 AM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
I have a new Woodmaster planer I am still learning to use well...never enough time in the day...so that is my pick of this weeks favorite....I am thinking I am going with my Meadows sawmill as my all time favorite.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #3 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM

View Tom R's Photo Album My Photos
Hmm, - - kinda' hate to name a favorite, - - diminishes too many other favorites, - - but I'd have to say I get a pretty good kick out my floor model oscillating spindle sander, - - it's towards the corner in this here pic . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 006.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	9  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 10:25 PM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Nice shop Tom!
post #5 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 PM

Thanks, Nate.

In that case, - - I'll torture you with a few wider shots.

It's a small shop (about 20 X 20), - - but it serves me well for now . . .

In the first pic, - - you'll notice my smaller surface-planer (13") sends the stock right through the wall, - - the 'outfeed' rollers of the cabinet saw can only fold up into place when the garage overhead door is up, sending the cuts outside the shop (there's a 4' X 10' overhead awning outside the door opening). The same fence that serves the cabinet saw also serves the attached router table. My other cabinet saw (under the slide-compound-miter-saw) serves as a dedicated-dado saw. Gotta economize on the small space, ya' know??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop 003.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	10  

Name:	Shop 005.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	11  

Last edited by Tom R; 10-13-2006 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 PM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos

You have got everything!

How much equipment($) do you think you have?
post #7 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 PM

Hmm, - - never really even thought about it, - - but I would have to say an easy $PLENTY$ (?) in tools and equipment, - - not including the 2 carports, 2 sheds, and 2 trucks themselves, all loaded . . .

Here's (the smaller) one of the carports, - - they're loaded up with compressors, sprayers, concrete mixers, vibrators, cut-off tools, plate compactors, tile saws, - - you name 'em.

Oh, yeah - - and my basement is loaded with the machines that couldn't fit in the shop, - - the 'less-used' equipment, - - scroll saw, radial arm saw, extra jointer, etc, etc, . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop 012.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	12  

Last edited by Tom R; 10-29-2006 at 12:02 AM.
post #8 of 38 Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 PM

Someday maybe I'll figure out what my 'niche' is . . . .
post #9 of 38 Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Very nice Tom. I would love to have that much machinery. I've still got a few years to go. Ya can't get it all at once.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #10 of 38 Old 10-14-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Very nice Tom. I would love to have that much machinery. I've still got a few years to go. Ya can't get it all at once.

You got that right, Dave, - - the main thing I need now is more ROOM!!

I'll double the size of that shop one of these days, - - 'n a few more carports would be nice . . .
post #11 of 38 Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
You got that right, Dave, - - the main thing I need now is more ROOM!!

I'll double the size of that shop one of these days, - - 'n a few more carports would be nice . . .
My favorite power tool is something that I don't own, a wood chipper. Just love to watch those things suck in trees and spit out the sawdust. Morrrre Powerrr. If it has to be a shop too then the W&H molder, put wood in and nice profiled moldings come out.

Here's more room for ya Tom. I've been here for about 3 years now. I've got 3 shapers, a oscillating sander, table saw, 8" jointer, 15" planer, router duplicator, 60 gal compressor, drill press, bench band saw, W&H molder, Air cleaner, 1 1/2 HP dust collector, bunch of hand electric and non-electric tools. I try to stick with custom cabinets and furniture but I also make elaborate 18th century doors and entryways, wainscoting, moldings and a lot more if they want to pay for it.

Tom, you seem to have most of the essentials. Now like you said... time to spread out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Whole Shop from Front 620.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	39  

Name:	Machine Area 620.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	40  

Name:	Spray Room 620.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	41  

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com

Last edited by Leo G; 10-16-2006 at 12:40 AM.
post #12 of 38 Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 AM

I don't think i will post any pictures of my shop...shameful....maybe soon I will get set up, instead of scattered between garages.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

post #13 of 38 Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Wow!! Really great set-up, Leo. Yeah, - - I'm planning on just doing shop work pretty soon (I hope), - - but the 'remodeling' work keeps coming in NON-STOP, - - and it's all for regular customers, - - so for now I'll just keep pluggin' along and be patient. The shop's not going anywhere, - - but that really is what I want to do, - - just built-in's, wainscoting, mantels, you name it . . .
post #14 of 38 Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I have a sinful amount of power tools of all brands, shapes, sizes, and flavors. I even have european power tools that are only available recently in the US. I have a bandsaw sawmill, a hydraulic/electric 56" circle sawmill, and a 56" manual circle tie mill, a 4 sided planer, alll kinds of specialty tools, a skid steer, tractors etc. I have way more power tools than I can carry in my 16' cargo trailer. Two, three and four of practically everything too. I am blessed beyond measure.
Now having said all that (and certainly only to make the following point not to brag), you could have them all when I am using a scary sharp chisel or hand plane, because nothing is more satisfying that fashioning a mortise and tenon, scarf joint, or even a simple lap joint when you have at your disposal a set of SHARP, hand tools!
Perhaps my favorite of all is my 2 1/2", 150+ year old, 20" long Slick, which I use to pare down large tenons and even smooth with.
Hand tools brothers. Not power tools. That's where it's at, and the guy who loves power tools more than hand tools simply hasn't discovered the truth yet! :icon_wink:

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 10-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.
post #15 of 38 Old 10-17-2006, 09:51 AM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Well...I guess Jill was wrong when she told me that she thought I had more tools than anybody......

Those are some great lookin' shops. Soon as mine gets cleaned up a little I might post a pic.

I guess my favorite tool or tools are my sawmills.....I have a Peterson swing blade and a WoodMizer LT28.

Right now makin' wood is as much fun as makin' stuff outta wood
post #16 of 38 Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM

Ok Steve,...I said it before and I will say it again...sawmills have big blades and are faithful...they don't "swing", and they are not made of bandsaws that laid down on the job!

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

post #17 of 38 Old 10-17-2006, 10:46 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bois D' Arc Boy;137 you could have them all when I am using a [I
scary sharp[/i] chisel or hand plane, because nothing is more satisfying that fashioning a mortise and tenon, scarf joint, or even a simple lap joint when you have at your disposal a set of SHARP, hand tools!
Bois D' Arc, osage (oops) also rives well with a froe... better do any handwork with Bodock green or a guy can work his arm off, good thing it is dense and has a low shrink rate as it dries. It is obvious to me what your favorite (right up there with me too, just don't get my fair share) kinda wood is. I may have a clue to your true identity?
post #18 of 38 Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Tom - I just noticed the hole in the wall for the outfeed for your planer. Too funny.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #19 of 38 Old 10-18-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Tom - I just noticed the hole in the wall for the outfeed for your planer. Too funny.

Also doubles as a mail-slot!!
post #20 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM

View woodworkinfool's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Tom, nice shop, I have that exact same jointer. I have a little shop also, you have to get creative with the layout sometimes, I have everything on wheels and have to use the driveway space to work sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode