What lathe do I need? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

View dgac's Photo Album My Photos
What lathe do I need?

Well first of all I'm new the turning on a lathe and new to the site. I really would like to turn some pens to start off. Then move into bowls. My father has turned things before so I can learn from him but he hasnt done it in awhile so my questions are what kind of lathe do I need to turn pens and bowls? I know the lathe should have a high rmp for pens but unsure about bowls. Also I see there are tons of different brands of tools. I would like to buy a quality lathe and tools but probably cant afford top of the line. It would be ok if I can only turn 6-8in bowls. I have a good supplier of exotic woods locally but would like a point in the right direction on pen kits also. Any and all information would be great. Please treat me as I know nothing because I really dont know much. I have purchased Turning Pens and Pencils by christensen and Burningham. I havent got it yet but its on the way. Will be looking for a good book on bowl turning also! Please help

dgac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
i believe that bowls are slower speeds as they go up in size. i want to do the same thing n i was thinking about getting the jet 1642 but i'm not absolutely sure. best of luck.

--john

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode