What Bandsaw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

View IwanaBRich's Photo Album My Photos
What Bandsaw?

I'd like to buy a Bandsaw and I'm not sure which to buy. I'm considering the Grizzly G0555P or G0555X or G0513P or the Shop Fox W1706 or the Delta 28-206. I'm so confused!

I plan to use it for my wood carving and making bowls and such on the lathe. I'm not sure how musch resawing I'll do, but I will do some. I also need it for detail work. Can a 17" machine do small work?

Is 1 HP enough?
Are cast iron wheels worth it?

Please help!!1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Shop Fox last spring and have been very happy with it. It runs smooth with its CI wheels, has nice BB guides and the upper guide is adjustable by a hand wheel so you don't have to worry about unlocking it and having it thud against the table. It is has a 14A motor so it's a 'healthy' 1 horsepower.

The only thick stuff I have resawn so far was a 2x12 piece of pine, but it did that without drifting (I got the riser kit when I bought it). It has a nice storage cabinet underneath along with a quality fence, too.

Bill

Last edited by dodgeboy77; 12-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Delta 28-206, and it's done everything I've asked it to. It is a little tricked out though, carter guides and a step pulley drive for VS. Oh yeah...got a cobra tension spring...gotta get that band tight! No riser though. With a 1/8" ribbon I can trace a quarter. We have an older Grzz 513 at work, and I'm not impressed.

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

View IwanaBRich's Photo Album My Photos
I have another question....some of the bandsaws offer 2 speeds and some don't...does this matter?

For instance the Grizzly G0555P has 2 speeds , 1 HP motor with aluminum wheels and the Grizzly G0555X has 1 speed, but it has 1.5 HP motor with CI wheels. The Shop Fox W1706 on the other hand has 2 speeds, 1 HP motor and it has CI wheels. Is that a compromise between the 2 Grizzly's?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
According to the Shop Fox manual, they recommend the slower speed for narrower blades and cutting curves, plus ripping stock under 1 3/4". You can find a link to the manual on this page: http://www.woodstockint.com/SHOP-FOX...Bandsaw/W1706/ and the speed/blade chart is on page 30.

For thicker cuts, crosscutting and resawing they say to use the faster speed. I always have my saw set to the higher speed anyway. I'll have to experiment sometime.

Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
According to the Shop Fox manual, they recommend the slower speed for narrower blades and cutting curves, plus ripping stock under 1 3/4". You can find a link to the manual on this page: http://www.woodstockint.com/SHOP-FOX...Bandsaw/W1706/ and the speed/blade chart is on page 30.

For thicker cuts, crosscutting and resawing they say to use the faster speed. I always have my saw set to the higher speed anyway. I'll have to experiment sometime.

Bill

So, if you feel you need 2 speeds. 1 for resaw, and 1 for scroll work, you don't need a 2 speed bs. You need 2 saws!
I have an old Delta 14, and when I found another 14" saw (J-Line) for cheap at a yard sale, I bought it. What a pleasure, not having to change bands, for a quick cut. I upped the speed on the Delta, for better resawing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode