Vintage Porter Cable Circular Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

View IslesJack's Photo Album My Photos
Vintage Porter Cable Circular Saw

Hello all, I am new to these forums and I actually learned of them from a customer service representative from Porter Cable. I've had the opportunity to briefly browse and this is just an awesome website and I'm thrilled to get to be a part of it now.

My first post is a HELP! post. I have a vintage Porter Cable Circular Saw from approx. the 1950's. It was given to me by my grandfather so it has great sentimental value, but I also do use it for my home projects. I'm currently working on building some closets, and needed to switch to a fine tooth blade to cut melamine board. I was living in an apartment for the past couple of years, so the saw was locked up in my shed and I have not used it.

I CANNOT get the blade off, nor can I locate a spindle lock (if it even exists). I have successfully removed and changed blades in the past with this saw, but it has been a couple of years and I have completely forgotten. I tried for over an hour today to do so, I even was on the phone with a rep from Porter Cable for over an hour (they don't even have this model in their system). I uploaded some pictures, and I also included a picture to show how I attempted to change the blade. Although I can hold the blade still with the clamp, I cannot loosen the bolt, when I turn the hex wrench it just rotates the arbor even though the blade stays stationary.

For some reason I feel like there was a way to lock the spindle because I did it a few years ago. Any help with be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It may be left hand thread ....

You would have to turn the arbor bolt/nut in the same direction as the rotation as the blade to loosen it. I looked at 4 different brands of circ saws and that's how they work, regardless of which side the motor was on.

Without an arbor lock you can either strike the arbor wrench sharply with a small hammer or try to resist the rotation using a visegrips with padded jaws or if you have a wood jaw vise that will work. Either way a sharp rap on the wrench will loosen most stuck bolts/nuts.

After you get it off .... heh ...heh ... write down the wrench rotation with an arrow and the word "off" with a Sharpie on the blade guard. I do this and it solved all my blade removal issues.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-29-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Try this:
Using two pieces of scrap wood, nail one piece 90 degrees to the other to make a cross.
With the saw unplugged, set the saw on the lower piece and force the teeth of the saw into the board on top. Using as much weight and pressure as you can apply to the saw, turn the bolt downward with your right hand. Counterclockwise.
The teeth will try to dig into the top board but hopefully the nut will loosen.
This should work unless the threads are left hand.
Good luck.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If there is no arbor lock holding the blade will not be any help if the arbor is turning in the blade. You may have better luck with an impact driver, or even a socket mounted in an electric drill which may give it enough of a jolt to loosen it.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
The impact should do it. Just be sure whether it is left or right hand thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 AM

View tiehacker's Photo Album My Photos
I have worn out two of those saws and am working on the third. There is an arbor wrench, just two prongs and a handle. Slide it up behind the blade to engage then just turn the nut. (Counterclockwise). If you don't have the wrench you can simply measure the flats on the arbor and make one.
they're fairly simple
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
If there is no arbor lock holding the blade will not be any help if the arbor is turning in the blade. You may have better luck with an impact driver, or even a socket mounted in an electric drill which may give it enough of a jolt to loosen it.
Impact wrenches are very good for this type of problem.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode